Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cheated on pre-op diet

Ok, so I was suppose to do a pre-op diet consisting of low carbs w/ only 700-900 calories a day for two weeks prior to my vsg surgery. To say the least I cheated 3 days and now I'm scared my liver hasn't shrunk enough although I have been losing 1-2 lbs a day. I still have 5 more days until surgery which plan on doing a strict liquid diet of Protein Shakes and Water. Will this help?

So....14 Days total

6 days you did ok

3 days you cheated

5 days to go.

I think as long as you don't cheat any more at all...and do your last five days by the book...my gut says you'll be ok. (as always, asking your group is the right answer here)

Edited by Creekimp13

Ok, so I was suppose to do a pre-op diet consisting of low carbs w/ only 700-900 calories a day for two weeks prior to my vsg surgery. To say the least I cheated 3 days and now I'm scared my liver hasn't shrunk enough although I have been losing 1-2 lbs a day. I still have 5 more days until surgery which plan on doing a strict liquid diet of Protein Shakes and Water. Will this help?

Your doing great my surgery date is next week Wednesday. And I suck at this diet. But I’m trying my best to stick to it, so i can live a better and happier life. Keep pushing

The main downside to cheating is that when you do you're reseting the clock so to speak. The pre-op diet is meant to be low carb and get your body into a state of ketosis. If you introduce carbs back into your diet then you're stopping that process. It may take 2-7 days to enter back into that state. Mind you everyone is different.

That being said I wouldn't worry that much, but stay strong the final few days. Keep that in mind that the better you do for just a few more days the better it sets you up in the long run for the other side. It's tough but you can do it!

From what I have read and seen (youtube videos) people "cheat" all the time. Do what you need to do to get and stay on track. Stay strong. Mind over matter girl, trust me!

I'm in the same boat. Ive cheated for my dinner meal 3 times already. I'm going to try my hardest to stick with it my surgery is on Tuesday. Good luck!

14 hours ago, orionburn said:

The main downside to cheating is that when you do you're reseting the clock so to speak. The pre-op diet is meant to be low carb and get your body into a state of ketosis. If you introduce carbs back into your diet then you're stopping that process. It may take 2-7 days to enter back into that state. Mind you everyone is different.

That being said I wouldn't worry that much, but stay strong the final few days. Keep that in mind that the better you do for just a few more days the better it sets you up in the long run for the other side. It's tough but you can do it!

Huh, I've never heard that part about ketosis. I thought the purpose was calorie restriction to induce visceral fat loss around the liver.

I know you can maintain ketosis long-term on up to 50g of carbs but usually it's recommended to stay under 20g to induce it for the first time. Many Protein Shakes and bars contain sufficient carbs to total more than 20g, right? My diet in particular is 5 shakes OR 4 shakes, 1 bar OR 3 shakes, 2 bars. I could stay at 25g carbs if I did all five servings from Premier Protein shakes. But if I added, for example, just one Pure Protein Bar, that's 15-25g just right there, plus 20g for the 4 shakes.

It's been several years since I was interested in Keto so maybe the recommendations or guidelines have changed.

Lol that's when I have cheated as well. It seems like I'm fine during the day but at night time is when I cave in. My surgery is Thursday.

Sent from my LG-M154 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was told that if you don't eat enough during the day you will be hungry at night thus making you vulnerable. So I made sure I started my Protein early and every 3 hours. It worked. But that was only for a week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app