Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep and weight loss

Wow! Great article. Thanks for sharing!

My sleep has been whacked since the holidays. And truly, I've been struggling to make good choices. Suddenly, instead of craving my healthy food options (swearsies...I crave them--like my spinach, mushroom, turkey sausage, egg white scramble--CRAVE), I'm craving things like chicken fingers with creamed gravy, instant mashed potatoes and corn. *dear baby jesus help me* There you have it...true confessions. Thank GOD I don't keep that stuff in my house!

I know I shouldn't be....but I was really surprised about the hormonal diet sabotages your body generates when you're low on Zzzz's.

I figured cortisol...and God knows cortisol is a pain...but putting together all the little behavior things that add up to a bad diet day....was kinda eye opening.

Pays to get a good night's rest!

Yes indeed! Yesterday I was pondering ruminating on why so "suddenly" I've gone from craving very very low fat, veggie laden (think craving greens) meals, to now feeling like all I want is fatty, salty, crunchy, creamy, gooey nonsense! I was thinking that the gut microbiota was out of whack from my food funerals and I was experiencing a bad bug bacteria bloom. And that was waking up my hunger centers. But it makes much more sense that something is stimulating the reward centers of my brain.

Oh and interestingly, I had become super regular and now my um occasional irregularity is rearing its ugly head. So strange!

I do know that when I'm not sleeping, my cortisol gets jacked.

Definitely have noticed this, both post surgery and before. Dieting is WAY harder on less sleep. I've been struggling with sleep since the surgery and notice a big difference when I sleep well VS when I don't..

Anyone else dream of food every night? I'm not hungry when i wake up and don't crave the food I dream about, i just dream about eating huge volumes of food...

bahahahahahaha! But on a different note, it's kinda weird...after my late Breakfast, I'm feeling a desire to dive majorly back into my pre-holiday plan. Like craving it again. And craving the movement. Hmmm, maybe it's cuz the sun is shining today even though it's in the mid-20s? Hmmm...thinking things...

I don't dream about food. But when I was pregnant I kept having a dreams where I gave birth to a puppy instead of a human baby....and I was very happy, would put the puppy in a dog crate....then my mother would come in and put clothes on it and feed it a bottle...and it was still a puppy. Dreams are weird. LOL

4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I don't dream about food. But when I was pregnant I kept having a dreams where I gave birth to a puppy instead of a human baby....and I was very happy, would put the puppy in a dog crate....then my mother would come in and put clothes on it and feed it a bottle...and it was still a puppy. Dreams are weird. LOL

Haha that's a funny one for sure!