Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eggs and Milk just make me sick!

Has anyone been having issues eating eggs or drinking milk? Eggs use to be my favorite,but now they hurt my stomach. milk with Cereal was my favorite, but is now giving me issues! My stomach cramps and hurts so bad with either of them and it send me straight to the restroom. Any suggestions? Maybe a different brand?

I became lactose intolerant post sleeve. Killed the ice cream cravings - ha!

I found eggs to hit my sleeve like a rock. It was NOT an easy food for me and I didn't add it until later for that reason.

Of course talk to your NUT - but I would avoid foods that make you sick.

55 minutes ago, cccollins said:

Has anyone been having issues eating eggs or drinking milk? eggs use to be my favorite,but now they hurt my stomach. milk with Cereal was my favorite, but is now giving me issues! My stomach cramps and hurts so bad with either of them and it send me straight to the restroom. Any suggestions? Maybe a different brand?

Eggs can be difficult to eat in the early stages. Your profile says pre-op but assuming you're post op now? If so how far out are you?

Hi there cccolins - how long since your op?

I have found I can eat pretty much anything that isn’t too sweet - except egg! Odd because it is so goopy, it looks like it should slide right in - but no!

As for milk, it is such a good Protein source, shame to lose it. One thought - try it at a couple of different temperatures. I hurt with cold liquid from the fridge, but am much better if it is room temperature.

best of luck!

I have had to go strictly to nut milk after my surgery. I can’t handle milk either. I’ve been drinking a cashew & almond Protein milk that has 10g of protein and only 2g of sugar per serving.

I used to love eggs prior to rny. Now they make me gag. They also cause stomach discomfort. The same thing happened with shrimp and potatoes. I never really liked milk anyway but I do almond or coconut milk. It goes down easy.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 185
GW below 200

eggs can be difficult to eat in the early stages. Your profile says pre-op but assuming you're post op now? If so how far out are you?

Hello, I’m actually post op. I’m almost a month out.

Just now, cccollins said:

Hello, I’m actually post op. I’m almost a month out.

Ok, just wanted to confirm. Took me a good while to get used to eggs again. Seems if I would cook them a hair too long it would make them too tough and gave me fits trying to eat. They would sit like a ton of bricks despite only eating a single egg.

Not sure what cereal you're eating, but to be honest I'm surprised to see it in a diet plan that early on (unless it's something like Cream of Wheat). It can be difficult figuring out which foods are best for you in the early months. Always go slow when introducing something new on the post-op side. Don't get too discouraged, though. There were quite a few things I couldn't do early on that I can handle fine now.

Thanks for your response! It do get very discouraging at time. I almost regret having the surgery every other day. I can’t really eat much now, but I’m able to hold more solids(soft) than before. I’m on a soft Biatric diet. I try eating whole wheat cereals like Cheerios. I have to let them get really soggy before eating. Unfortunately, the milk is just not agreeing with me anymore! So I’m done for now with that! How far out are you? Does it really get a little better (as far as good and drink intake) down the road?

Just now, cccollins said:

Thanks for your response! It do get very discouraging at time. I almost regret having the surgery every other day. I can’t really eat much now, but I’m able to hold more solids(soft) than before. I’m on a soft Biatric diet. I try eating whole wheat cereals like Cheerios. I have to let them get really soggy before eating. Unfortunately, the milk is just not agreeing with me anymore! So I’m done for now with that! How far out are you? Does it really get a little better (as far as good and drink intake) down the road?

While the milk is good the cereal is pretty much empty calories (and a lot of carbs too). Might want to keep it in the cupboard and let that be a treat down the road as you can tolerate more food. I freaking LOVE cereal too but it's something I only have once in a great while now. There are times where I can eat it no problem, and other times it doesn't agree as well. One of those weird things to try and figure out. You could give lactose free milk a try or even almond milk. That might help out.

I'll be a year out next week. Yes, things will get better. It's a long road and will take some time adjusting to the changes. It's still weird going out to eat and never being able to finish let alone get through half of it. Upside is you always have leftovers for another meal! Some foods I avoided all together for the first few months. Some I've tried and didn't care for when I tried to introduce them again. Lot of things I realized that I didn't need in my life any longer so haven't even bothered with them.

I couldn't do eggs for about six months, now I can eat them just fine.

Same with milk, but it was about six weeks for that.

Be patient, most likely it will pass.