Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet years down the road

It has been a crazy week, as I went from submitting for insurance approval, to approval, scheduled for February and today was moved up to January 25th. There is a lot out there discussing post op diet and I have read through a lot of it. Question is, I see a lot of “menus” that realistically, seem like they will be hard to follow years down the road, on a day to day basis. I’m not talking about the type of food etc., I mean the eating 2 oz of meat then in 2 hours, a cup of skim milk. Same routine, throughout the day. On a regular schedule, doesn’t seem too hard, just some planning. But what about on vacation? Or on a day full of errands? Years down the road, are you still eating every 2 hours? Do you get better at knowing what is best to eat so that you can normally assimilate to a somewhat normal routine when going out to eat with friends, or for a work meeting? I had a gastric band, and learned to live with that. Is it the same deal with bypass? Does life become normal again?

I’m not eating every two hours. I eat three meals a day. I’m six weeks post op. I’m slowly working on getting my calories towards 1,000.

I’m not eating every two hours. I eat three meals a day. I’m six weeks post op. I’m slowly working on getting my calories towards 1,000.

How has the first six weeks gone for you? Don’t know if everyone else goes through the same thing as the date approaches, but what I am curious now is about living with RNY. And how long until the everyday routine of Vitamins and diet become normal.

I'll be 3 months post op tomorrow. Not sure the routine is "normal" and the Vitamins are a constant reminder of that. You get used to it, it's just a lot to deal with. Vitamins/calcium in the morning, Calcium at lunch, vitamins/calcium at dinner, Vitamin C/Iron before bed...that's my routine.

I'll be 3 months post op tomorrow. Not sure the routine is "normal" and the Vitamins are a constant reminder of that. You get used to it, it's just a lot to deal with. Vitamins/calcium in the morning, Calcium at lunch, vitamins/calcium at dinner, Vitamin C/Iron before bed...that's my routine.

Thanks for your reply. Have you ever tried doing the nasal spray or Patches for the Vitamins?

At this point, would you feel confident going to a restaurant and being able to eat, albeit not much but still be able to order a meal, or eat from your partners? If yes, how long after did you feel this way?

8 minutes ago, spealex said:

Thanks for your reply. Have you ever tried doing the nasal spray or Patches for the Vitamins?

At this point, would you feel confident going to a restaurant and being able to eat, albeit not much but still be able to order a meal, or eat from your partners? If yes, how long after did you feel this way?

I have not done the nasal spray or Patches as they are not approved by my surgeon as of yet, nor is the Tespo system, which I would really like to try (one shot of juice in the morning and one at night).

I have gone out to restaurants quite a bit since surgery, and have done it all from not ordering a thing, to sharing some bites with my wife, to ordering my own plate and taking 80% or more home with me. Most restaurants have something that I can have, at a Mexican food restaurant over the weekend I ordered a chicken enchilada and refried Beans. I ate only the chicken out of the enchilada and had some beans. Other places will have chicken breast, fish, etc. that works in my plan. I always go Protein first, then veggies, and maybe a couple bites of starch but that is very rare that I get past the protein itself. I have my 3 month check up tomorrow, so I'll be curious to hear what the surgeon has to say.

My diet has basically gone back to what it was pre-op, just less of it. I aim to eat three meals a day, no Snacks (as per guidelines from my surgeon), but there's many days I don't do that. Honestly it's really not much of a change, just learning to eat more slowly (and without water) to ensure satiety.

I have not done the nasal spray or Patches as they are not approved by my surgeon as of yet, nor is the Tespo system, which I would really like to try (one shot of juice in the morning and one at night).
I have gone out to restaurants quite a bit since surgery, and have done it all from not ordering a thing, to sharing some bites with my wife, to ordering my own plate and taking 80% or more home with me. Most restaurants have something that I can have, at a Mexican food restaurant over the weekend I ordered a chicken enchilada and refried Beans. I ate only the chicken out of the enchilada and had some beans. Other places will have chicken breast, fish, etc. that works in my plan. I always go Protein first, then veggies, and maybe a couple bites of starch but that is very rare that I get past the protein itself. I have my 3 month check up tomorrow, so I'll be curious to hear what the surgeon has to say.

My sister’s doctor gave her some type of card that she shows to server that permits her to order from kid’s menu. Not sure if it’s a NY thing but saves money and wastes less food.

3 hours ago, spealex said:

How has the first six weeks gone for you? Don’t know if everyone else goes through the same thing as the date approaches, but what I am curious now is about living with RNY. And how long until the everyday routine of Vitamins and diet become normal.

The last few weeks are much better. Once I was able to start adding more normal items to my diet everything became better. Around week 5 when I could add fish and soft veggies, and last week I was able to add salads. The more you are able to eat normal things I think the better.

I have not eaten out yet, but I tolerate fish, vegetables, Soups, salads very well so far. I have not tried bread, sweets, ice creams or even fruits really unless in my smoothie in moderation.

I advanced my diet exactly as outlined in my surgeons booklet. I have not had any issues of intolerance. I have been either very lucky or I’m blessed with a nice stomach!

I started my chewable Vitamin routine as soon as I was home from hospital.

I try to eat when hungry, but if I’m not hungry I’d rather focus on Fluid intake than forcing a snack down.

Good luck with your revision!