Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Motorcycle riders??

One of my goals when I lost 50 pounds of my weight was to learn how to drive a motorcycle. I have always been a rider and had many stares and ugly comments about the "fat woman on the back". Well I have signed up at our local Harley dealer to learn how to drive in an all womens class and they even have a garage party a few weeks before it that is a womens only event where you can go in and ask all of the stupid questions you want without the people treating you like a total dummy. I am nervous and excited about obtaining one of my "non-food related goals.

Any motorcycle drivers out there willing to give this newbie any advice? I am still needing to get some different gloves and a jacket which is a requirement when you are on the course (long sleeves). I am looking also for a motorcycle for me that would be a good starter type bike. Any suggestions would be helpful.:whoo:

I went through the Harley's riders edge program a few years back. Loved it wish I would have done it sooner!

I didn't wear my jacket during the training, just a long sleeve shirt. Also I wear a full face helmet which was a pain to take on and off all weekend. Since we were just riding on the course a half helmet would have be easier.

As far as bikes go you can pick up a smaller used metric pretty cheap (as opposed to a Harley which is going to cost!). A Honda rebel or Shadow VLX seem to be good starter bikes..

One of my goals when I lost 50 pounds of my weight was to learn how to drive a motorcycle. I have always been a rider and had many stares and ugly comments about the "fat woman on the back". Well I have signed up at our local Harley dealer to learn how to drive in an all womens class and they even have a garage party a few weeks before it that is a womens only event where you can go in and ask all of the stupid questions you want without the people treating you like a total dummy. I am nervous and excited about obtaining one of my "non-food related goals.

Any motorcycle drivers out there willing to give this newbie any advice? I am still needing to get some different gloves and a jacket which is a requirement when you are on the course (long sleeves). I am looking also for a motorcycle for me that would be a good starter type bike. Any suggestions would be helpful.:whoo:

First let me say Congrats to your decision to learn to ride your own. Once you get off the back, sometimes it's hard to get back on, even just for short jaunts.

I will always recommend a full face helmet. Make sure it fits properly. It can save your life and your face!! (yes, I know from experience)

You will learn in class that your bike goes where your eyes go. So be sure to look where you WANT to go.

As for bikes, whatever you choose you should be able to sit on it comfortably with your feet flat on the ground. I would not recommend a Honda Rebel as I believe the engine size is only about 250 cc which is really small. You should look for a bike in the 650 cc to 1100cc range. You don't want to buy a bike this year and out grow it quickly and be looking to upgrade next year. Both Honda and Yamaha have great bikes and you can find used easily.

Best of luck and keep the shiney side up!!

I too will be taking classes one I get closer to goal weight. My husband has had 2 harleys in 3 yrs and is waiting for us to go on a trip together. Oh boy!!! I hope I get the courage and confidence. He said theres nothing like riding a motorcycle!

Congratulations on taking the class for riding!

I didn't wait until I was closer to goal. I took the basic motorcycle riding class with my sister in September 2006. That was about 50 pounds ago. Choosing a first bike is so individual. I bought a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C-50 (805 cc). It looks huge, but is low, well centered and I love it dearly. I have put on almost 10,000 miles on it this year....counting the Sturgis trip.

Good luck and enjoy!

Note to newimage...for me, my bike has helped my confidence and self-esteem considerably. It's an amazing feeling.

Congratulations on taking the class for riding!

I didn't wait until I was closer to goal. I took the basic motorcycle riding class with my sister in September 2006. That was about 50 pounds ago. Choosing a first bike is so individual. I bought a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C-50 (805 cc). It looks huge, but is low, well centered and I love it dearly. I have put on almost 10,000 miles on it this year....counting the Sturgis trip.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hey i have an M50!