Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonated Beverages?

I am 17 days post op, and I have been missing carbonation. I don’t want soda products. I used to LOVE carbonated Water and I am craving it so badly.

Any ideas on when it’s safe to start drinking carbonated drinks again? Has anyone had trouble drinking them?

They tell you pre-op that carbonation is something you should give up forever.

It can potentially stretch your new stomach and cause issues.

I know some people do return to drinking carbonation, a few report they don't have problems.

But nearly all bariatric surgeons will say adamantly that you should not do this.

You go through a lot of trouble to have your stomach size reduced...why would you want to expand it?

Sad as it might be, you might want to find a replacement for that particular habit.

(and I sympathize...I miss carbonation, too...but don't want screw up something I worked so hard to achieve)

Starting at three months I've had the occasional carbonated drink -- usually in social situations -- I make sure to drink it really slowly -- hasn't been a problem.

But for the most part I just drink unsweetened ice tea.

I took a sip of Caffeine Free Diet Coke from a Freestyle machine on Friday night and dumped the rest out. Did NOT sit right. Had Minute Maid Light instead. I’m thinking diet soda is going to be my birthday treat from now on, but not till next year.

If you miss the taste of soda, the Orange Crush powder you can add to plain Water is good and only 10 calories per packet (flavors up to 20 ounces). They also have grape and strawberry.

i've switched to Mio, Decaf coffee with caramel Premier Protein, sugar free hot spiced cider packets, iced tea, and herbal teas.

Many movie theaters sell unsweetened ice tea (at least here in California). Or you can pay the extra $$$ and go to one of those premium theaters were you can get (somewhat) better food and drink.

You better fall out of love with it real soon because it probably will not sit right with your stomach ever again.

I'm about a year and a half out and I once grabbed a sparkling Water on accident at the gas station and one sip bloated me for the rest of the day.

Pop Is a no go. (soda for you fancy folks).

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

I tried it, and honestly didn't enjoy it any more. But if I get a craving, I pour the drink into a glass, and bump the glass on the table a few times. Some of the bubbles rise and pop, and it seems to get rid of some of the carbonation. I will do about 3oz max, then it's enough.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

11 hours ago, joeie said:

I am 17 days post op, and I have been missing carbonation. I don’t want soda products. I used to LOVE carbonated Water and I am craving it so badly.

Any ideas on when it’s safe to start drinking carbonated drinks again? Has anyone had trouble drinking them?

Regardless of the when (think my doc said 6 months) you'll want to take very small sips. It doesn't take much to make you feel kind of blah. I was a diet pop junkie prior to surgery. Haven't touched it since. Honestly I don't miss it that much. I have enjoyed a craft beer every once in a great while. I do have to take my time with it as you can get bloated quickly, even when nursing it. Everyone seems to handle carbonation differently.

12 hours ago, joeie said:

Some things to think about because you are 17 days post op...

Is this going to hurt after you drink it?

Is the carbonation going to take up valuable room to get your Protein and Water goal in?

I'm 15 months out and I have not had any carbonation at all since July of 2016. That's a year and a half ago. The only time I miss it is when we are standing in the gas station and my family has all grabbed their sodas and I am standing at the case trying to find something I really want and not just something I'm settling for. If I'm at home or in a restaurant, it's unsweetened tea. If I am in the convenience store...I try to look for Vitamin Water Zero or Bai ( Panama Peach and Costa Rica Clementine) is a fav! You'll eventually make your own decisions about carbonation and you'll determine whether or not it is something you can tolerate.

Personally, I LOVED diet soda pre-op and the sodium in carbonated drinks went a long way in keeping me bloated and heavy. I'd rather not know if I can tolerate it and continue to live my life without it.

You ever leave a glass bottle in the freezer to get it cold, then forget about it and it breaks? That because stuff expands as it freezes. It's not good to fill something that can break or be damaged with something that expands. Carbonated beverages expand. Some bariatric patients say they can get away with them. But like creekimp13 says above, virtually all surgeons will insist this is a terrible idea.

Me, I got really into hot tea, which has been a nice substitute. And it settles my stomach rather than upsetting it, which is a bonus.

I am still in doing my 6 months of appointments prior to authorization, but I've been off all carbonated and caffeinated drinks for about a month and a half now. It was very hard, but Mio and Disani flavor shots have helped me a lot. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Bad habits are hard to break but you can. I am 4 months post surgery. I loved diet soda prior to surgery. For whatever reason I have had a sip here or there but it doesn't taste the same. I could careless about it now. I love Crystal light, unsweetened tea and diet lemonade from chic fil la!