Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op and STARVING

Hey guys,

I’m 25 and I’m 1 week post op.

The first few days I had horrible gas, but now I basically feel fine.

broth isn’t appetizing at all.

I’m just drinking crystal light with unflavored Protein Powder.< /p>

I don’t have trouble getting anything down I’m just so hungry.

I can hear my belly make little noises too.

I just need to chew something

I read online that sometimes nutritionists let people jump ahead to stages if they are holding things down well, true?

Anyone else struggling like this?

I was sleeved on 1/4 and I’m also starving. I’m not jumping ahead stages, I’m just eating more of what’s allowed in my current stage. I don’t want to jump ahead because we’re given this progression so that our stomach may heal properly. But even if I do “eat” more, I can’t really handle more than 3 - 4 ounces of anything puréed.

Hey guys,
I’m 25 and I’m 1 week post op.
The first few days I had horrible gas, but now I basically feel fine.
broth isn’t appetizing at all.
I’m just drinking crystal light with unflavored Protein Powder.
I don’t have trouble getting anything down I’m just so hungry.
I can hear my belly make little noises too.
I just need to chew something
I read online that sometimes nutritionists let people jump ahead to stages if they are holding things down well, true?
Anyone else struggling like this?

Everyones program is different. I went home from the hospital on soft foods. Many surgeo.s have their patients on liquid for a bit, but not mine. When in doubt call your nutritionist or surgeons office.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved on 1/8. I wouldn't say that I am starving... I think I just miss texture. On my 2nd day post-op, I was given broth, Jello and Protein. All of which I was able to hold down without any issues. On my 4th day, I added maybe an 1/2 inch square of tofu (cut up in tiny pieces) to my chicken broth and that helped. I made sure I mashed it up before swallowing though. I also add some kefir to my morning Protein Drink (4oz protein, 2oz kefir). So far, I can hold down about 6oz when I initially wake up. The rest of the day is between 3-5oz.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Its probably pychological, now is the best time to re-train your body and mind to let go of its cravings and focus on nourishing the body instead.
The feeling will subside if you give it time. Your brain is used to the ritual of eating so not eating is quite a drastic change and takes some getting used to. But IMO its an important step.
Home made broth tastes much better then store bought broth if you can nab a chicken carcas from someones leftover roast.

Head hunger sucks and it's something that most of us still struggle with. This really is a time to evaluate your relationship with food. I know this stage is hard but the sooner you come to terms with the fact that head hunger is a monster the better off you'll be long term.

As hard as it follow your doc's guidelines. Don't go off plan because strangers on the internet said it's okay to do something. It can be maddening seeing all the differences between plans but trust that your doc is doing what is best for you.

I felt similarly right after, it felt like real physical hunger (VS head hunger) - but who knows. The good news is it got better and after a couple weeks out the hunger is fairly minimal, though not non-existent. Keeping busy will make it easier. Resist the urge to eat ahead of where you're supposed to be and just try and stay the course. Once you get to soft foods they are much more filling and having a small stomach will help satisfy you quickly

I was sleeved on 1/4 and I’m also starving. I’m not jumping ahead stages, I’m just eating more of what’s allowed in my current stage. I don’t want to jump ahead because we’re given this progression so that our stomach may heal properly. But even if I do “eat” more, I can’t really handle more than 3 - 4 ounces of anything puréed.

I’ll note that just a few days later, I’m belching and burping less and that hungry, empty stomach feeling is pretty much gone.

I would contact your doctor and nutritionist, but I thought jumping ahead is overrated, honestly. Maybe because my diet is so gradual. The denser the foods you start eating, the more full you’ll feel. liquids go straight through you, puréed foods too.

No sugar coating this stage, what helped for me was reading this over and over and over again. " A clear liquid diet helps to shrink the liver and fat deposits around the stomach, making surgery safer. Studies have shown that 80-90% of people having weight loss surgery have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which usually results in an enlarged/fatty liver. This can interfere with the surgical procedure by impairing visibility of the stomach, increasing your surgery time, increasing the risk of complications, and may result in your surgeon cancelling your procedure. ". This paragraph really grabbed my attention and was very effective.