Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unhappy with A Lighter Me (ALM) & Dr. Elias Ortiz

I had RNY on 1/6/18. Something happened that caused me to have massive drainage. That night I had 4 things of plasma. Over the next 2 days, I had 4 blood transfusions. I understand my number was 6.5 and really didn't change much. I was kept in the hospital the entire time- never went to hotel. I had drain removed on 1/11 and sent home. The Fluid is still coming out the drain hole- i soak about 10 maxi pads a day. The staff at Mi Doctor Hospital was kind and took care of me. The asst. doctor checked in on a regular basis , but I felt he couldn't tell me the whole story. Dr. Ortiz came just 3 times, despite my asking to speak with him. I do not feel he was very forthcoming. I still don't understand what happened to make me bleed so much. I have a sister who is a doctor and she is appalled. After 2 transfusions, I would have been back in the OR to fix the bleed. there would have been accountability. I know that I chose to go to Mexico once my new insurance said all bariatric surgery was excluded. What I am so disappointed in is the lack of clear communication by the doctor. I would, therefore, not recommend this company and esp. Dr. Ortiz. I was aware that I would have to pay for "extra" services and I ended up paying close to $1500 for the blood. I do now run the risk of a long recovery (past the 2 weeks I had planned). I also run the risk of infection and the pain of so much leakage.

Why are you not getting tests to discover what is still going on in the US now that you are back home? Go to an ER and get tested.

My surgeon, in the states, does about 4 corrective surgeries a month on people who went to Mexico.

I’m sorry that you’re so sick, and am praying you heal completely.

I agree with Sosues you need to go to the ER. You have no idea what is going on inside your body, and with that kind of continuous drainage something is occurring. Your lif is important! Don’t let going to Mexico influence not going to the ER, you need to find out what is going on with your body. ( I do triage nursing and this is a go to ER now call! )

good luck, and prayers.

I had 10/10 success with Dr. Ortiz. I’m 4 years post op without a complaint.

You didn’t mention what you did for follow up care and what the consensus was that resulted in your condition?

Feel better💐