Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me preface this by saying that I knew this wasn't going to be a walk in the park, and there would be times I'd have to fight for my weightloss. I NEVER though I'd be fighting right outside the gate, though.

I am almost 6 months post op, and have only lost 8 pounds since NOVEMBER 7th. Right around post op month 2, my weightloss pretty much tapered off. I never had the relief from hunger that my surgeon described; my stomach growls and pangs with hunger so loudly it's embarrassing. I found it extremely difficult to stay under 1000 calories from about 3 months and on. My diet hasn't been *perfect* but I'm doing all the things - Protein first, watching my carbs, NO SUGAR and no more liquid calories AT ALL. The few treats I've had were halo ice cream or maybe popcorn (I know, not the best choices, but it was a treat.)

My biggest fear is that I literally cut out my stomach to lose 40 pounds. Regain is a fact, and if this is all the weight loss I'm going to get and then I REGAIN from here, I'm going to absolutely cry. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's driving me nuts and causing major depression and remorse at this point. I'm absolutely disgusted with myself and feel like a total failure. To ice the cake, my husband also had the vsg a month after me, and is pretty much refusing to even try at all and has hardly lost anything. I'm not looking forward to my next follow up at month 6 with my surgeon :-(((

Any advice? Anyone in the same boat and always on the #hungrybus ?

I'm about five months out. In the past month, I lose two pounds and then gain it back. I've lost 40lbs same as you. The one major change I've made is I haven't been to the gym since the week before Christmas due to a sprained knee. I am cleared to go back to the gym next week. I'm sure that the exercise component is the thing stalling my weight loss. I still eat the same, Proteins first, get my Water in etc. If you cant go to the gym try any activity and see if that helps to jump start your weight loss. You are right there will be a weight gain but the gain can be minimal as long as we stay on top of it. Trust the process and trust yourself.

Are you tracking every bite that goes in your mouth? Is it possible that you are underestimating the number of calories you are consuming? What is your daily menu?

Your stats look pretty amazing to me - you've lost almost 80 lbs total and you are 40 lbs away from your goal weight? That is awesome. You may have to run a tight ship to get the last 40 off, and it will be slower, but you seem to know what you are doing!!

Edited by over_and_over_again

I track everything using my fitness pal app and I weigh and measure every morsel 95% of the time. I started at 250 HW and was already down to 215 by surgery day, so in 6 months after actual surgery I've lost 40 ish pounds.

I follow dozens of VSG'ers and my weight loss pace for same - framed people seems slow and I haven' heard too many people saying they never felt full or lack of the hunger pangs my surgeon advertised like a sales tactic lol.

This isn't my first weight loss rodeo, previously lost 90+ on my own to gain it all back , that's why I chose surgery . I was told it would be a tool and it isn't holding up to what they claimed so far:-(

I’m curious what you are eating vs your activity level if you are six months out. Is there a chance you are eating too little and that’s the reason you are stalled? If you are exercising and eating less than 1000 calories it’s worth considering increasing your intake as difficult as that may seem.

Hang in there. Add some exercise and follow what yu are doing!! It will come off!! KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE AND KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

I visited your profile. Interesting stats. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using BariatricPal mobile app

If you look at the hard numbers....Gastric sleeve patients lose, on average, about 60-70% of their excess body weight in the first 18 months after surgery. Some lose more, some lose less.

At five years, most people maintain the loss of over 56% of their excess weight.

Statistically, this is FAR superior to dieting alone.

There's no magic bullet. It's all hard work and lifestyle changes. If you're living with a person who is unwilling to embrace those changes...it's going to be more difficult for you to make them.

Document everything in your food journal. Be vigilant about your exercise. Seek support.

Wishing you the very best.

Edited by Creekimp13

26 minutes ago, Polly Pocket said:

3 hours ago, Polly Pocket said:

I visited your profile. Interesting stats. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using BariatricPal mobile app

What part is interesting?

I have a lot of luck eating three meals and three Snacks a day. Granted, all of these meals and snacks are only around 150- 200 calories each..but spaced six times a day...it really keeps the hungries away.

Try not to lose hope quite so soon. You had less loss than expected...over Thanksgiving and Christmas.....a time when stress and opportunities to overindulge are chronic.

Pick up some new recipes, rededicate yourself to your food journal, add a little exercise and try to keep the faith that you're still going to see some benefits of the surgery. There's time. Don't give up.

4 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I’m curious what you are eating vs your activity level if you are six months out. Is there a chance you are eating too little and that’s the reason you are stalled? If you are exercising and eating less than 1000 calories it’s worth considering increasing your intake as difficult as that may seem.

I'm running 1000-1200 calories right now and still feeling hungry at that. I walk minimum 5000 steps per day but haven't started weight training or anything yet due to my work and home schedule. I hope to carve out we time for that. The last 3 days I've cut my carbs down to 20 net to try and get the carb hunger the heck out of my body.

7 hours ago, Angelina_Ballerina said:

I'm not looking forward to my next follow up at month 6 with my surgeon :-(((

Maybe the surgeon will tell you that with a BMI of 29 you're out of the obese category and everything's fine. Surgeons seems to have more modest (more realistic?) goals for their patients than the patients themselves.

Never too early / late to go back to basics. Go full liquids and work your way back to solids...

Also are you following a Vitamin routine? B12 aids in the conversion of food to energy (metabolism ) worth looking into

I also have no time to hit the gym so I wturn to music at home and throw a dance party where I literally move every part of me. Do this for 4 songs and that's around 20mins of exercise...