Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I bought a few recipe books for post bariatric surgery patients.

Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent.

Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for dummies....lots of good info in here too.

I got both from Amazon. I found a few good recipes on Pinterest too but I like having books to look through.

@KimTriesRNY do you think the books filled your need? Did you like them? Favorite please? Are your books mainly recipes or do they describe the surgeries, etc?

Thanks!!! ((hugs))

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

do you think the books filled your need? Did you like them? Favorite please? Are your books mainly recipes or do they describe the surgeries, etc?

Both books are great. The fresh start book has recipes for purée diet phase and includes a key for if the recipe is appropriate for purée, soft, or the general post op bariatric diet. The first 25 pages or so is general information regarding a bariatric diet and general nutrition information. The recipes are easy to follow and are not super complicated with tons of difficult to find ingredients.

The weight loss for dummies recipe book has tons more information, about 100 pages or so in the front of the book is information, actually it’s 120 pages. So about 250 pages of recipes follow that. It’s full of useful information regarding clear liquid diets, information about all post op diet stages, reading nutrition labels, things to have in your kitchen, food safety, restaurant eating....really too much to list here. Anyone could buy this book and be confident after reading it I think. There are not a ton of pictures in this book, so if you need a pic with each recipe it’s not that type.

I like them both but if I had to choose I would pick the dummies one. It has a ton of useful information. You could never go wrong with either and they both have nice recipes. I’m just the type of person that likes to have books in her hand still sometimes!

Hope this helps!

Thank you!!! @KimTriesRNY Would you ever buy a bariatric cookbook that's JUST recipes? I ask, cuz that's honestly what I want. Just like any cookbook--but without the diet portion, cuz it feels like with my program, I already have my binder full of information for my particular surgery type.

But I would totally want a book that has great Phase 1, 2, 3, 4 foods. You know? But I think I'm in the minority cuz I haven't seen a book out there that is like this?

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Would you ever buy a bariatric cookbook that's JUST recipes? I ask, cuz that's honestly what I want. Just like any cookbook--but without the diet portion, cuz it feels like with my program, I already have my binder full of information for my particular surgery type.

Yes I absolutely would. Both of mine I actually bought before my surgery so I had them to read ahead of time. There is a book I saw on Amazon that I think is mostly recipes but it’s expensive. It’s broken down into the phases of the post op diet. They have one for gastric bypass and one for sleeve. If you can’t find it let me know, I will look later when I have a bit more time. I think it’s called the complete gastric bypass Cookbook phase 1-4, but off the top of my head I’m not certain.

Thanks girlie! I'll go look now and let ya know!

11 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Yes I absolutely would. Both of mine I actually bought before my surgery so I had them to read ahead of time. There is a book I saw on Amazon that I think is mostly recipes but it’s expensive. It’s broken down into the phases of the post op diet. They have one for gastric bypass and one for sleeve. If you can’t find it let me know, I will look later when I have a bit more time. I think it’s called the complete gastric bypass Cookbook phase 1-4, but off the top of my head I’m not certain.

Is this the one? It looks like it's mostly recipes and they look pretty good. Did you get this book? https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Start-Bariatric-Cookbook-Weight-Loss/dp/1623157730/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515876667&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=complete+bariatric+cookbook#reader_1623157730

If you did, do you recommend it highly or just so-so?

@FluffyChix this is the one I think you may be interested in...

https://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Cookbook-manuscripts-Bariatric-Friendly-Lifelong/dp/1548077836/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The link in your post is the one I was talking about. It does have some good recipes in it for 12 bucks.