Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks post op - I don’t want to do this anymore [emoji25][emoji25][emoji25]

I have not had surgery YET, but currently take protonix and carafate for GERD and it works great. I have to take carafate 4x’s a day.

Since the bypass I have not had any heartburn or nausea. It’s been pretty amazing. My only regret is not having the bypass the first time around.

Since the bypass I have not had any heartburn or nausea. It’s been pretty amazing. My only regret is not having the bypass the first time around.

I can’t wait!

Brandi,

It's hard for me to believe that I have been struggling with all kinds of problems/pain for months. I replied to your post back in Jan. Tomorrow morning I go in for the dilation procedure. My swallowing had gotten so bad that I can no longer get even my pureed thin Soups down, even they are getting stuck in my throat and chest. Hurts like hell. I have been on soups for the past few months.

My gastro is skeptical that the dilation will work for me. He's also going to take a closer look at my hiatal hernia that was discovered with barium swallow last month. Gastro says he will consult w/ my surgeon to do a revision to bypass if this doesn't work. Honestly scared of the bypass. I'm almost 18 months post sleeve. Down to 174 lbs from 334 lbs. Losing too quickly now, due to pain/gerd/swallowing difficulty/vomiting down 25 pounds since March.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I hope that you are still getting excellent results/improvement since the bypass.

Dang! Personally I hope they just do the damn bypass and fix your hernia and get it over with for you sweetie!!! This has gone on too long. Don't fear a bypass. I had mine and have had absolutely no issues from it!!!! Swearsies. Easiest surgery evs from day 1! ((hugs)) Please let us know how things are going now?!!!

And I'm on Dexilant, my gastroenterologist calls it the "Ferrari of stomach medicine" I went through Priliosec and Nexium, might as well have been chewing candy. Dexilant, if I had no insurance coverage, over $300 and that's a 1 month supply at Walmart, Giant Eagle also that low, CVS and RiteAid, take out a personal lianvat your bank, that's the only way that you could afford. THEIR PRICES!😒

On 1/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, Brandi. said:

I have been debating on posting all of this because I’m tired of living it day to day

I am 4 weeks post op and feel like this is the most horrible decision I’ve made. Here is a list of what has been going on :

- I am unable to drink anything other than Water and sometimes apple juice or popsicles. Anything thicker comes right back up. broth, flavored drinks, etc will not stay down.

- I have acid that brings me to tears and wakes me up at night (all night), it makes me feel like I’m going to vomit fire. I am currently taking Prilosec, Zantac, Carafate, and Magic Mouthwash.

- I’m exhausted because I’m not consuming any Protein or other nutrients. I’m exhausted because I try to sleep sitting straight up. Any incline makes the acid worse.

- I feel like there is a lump rising up right before I vomit and/or get the acid burn.

My doctor is aware of everything that is going on. He said I’m in a small percent that gets this really bad GERD or reflux and later down the road we might have to do a sleeve to bypass revision. I’m really not okay with that option because I had complications after the sleeve surgery. He isn’t really worried about my lack of nutrients at this point because I’m “only” 4 weeks out. I know guys, only four weeks, but in all honesty I’m miserable 24 hours a day. I have kids, I have a full time job, and I seriously can’t continue like this.

I was also told I now have sludge in my gallbladder so it may need to be removed later.

If anyone can relate to this or tell me it will all be okay I would really appreciate it. I’m at my breaking point and am very disappointed in myself for electing to have this surgery.

I've been going through something so similar. I too, wish I never had it done. I've been hospitalized twice and now I have a feeding tube at home that I have to leave in because I was so dehydrated and malnourished. I wondered how you were doing now. I hope better.....for your sake and for mine. I would love to see a light at the end of this tunnel. Please let me know how you are doing. Thanks so much!!!!

On 1/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, AshAsh1 said:

My doctor said that if you have even the occasional acid reflux, that the sleeve is not an option for you.

Not entirely true. I had the worse acid reflux before sleeve and have had nothing since surgery (almost a year out).

@Brandi. glad you are doing well!!!

Edited by Newme17

On 1/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, Brandi. said:

I have been debating on posting all of this because I’m tired of living it day to day

I am 4 weeks post op and feel like this is the most horrible decision I’ve made. Here is a list of what has been going on :

- I am unable to drink anything other than Water and sometimes apple juice or popsicles. Anything thicker comes right back up. broth, flavored drinks, etc will not stay down.

- I have acid that brings me to tears and wakes me up at night (all night), it makes me feel like I’m going to vomit fire. I am currently taking Prilosec, Zantac, Carafate, and Magic Mouthwash.

- I’m exhausted because I’m not consuming any Protein or other nutrients. I’m exhausted because I try to sleep sitting straight up. Any incline makes the acid worse.

- I feel like there is a lump rising up right before I vomit and/or get the acid burn.

My doctor is aware of everything that is going on. He said I’m in a small percent that gets this really bad GERD or reflux and later down the road we might have to do a sleeve to bypass revision. I’m really not okay with that option because I had complications after the sleeve surgery. He isn’t really worried about my lack of nutrients at this point because I’m “only” 4 weeks out. I know guys, only four weeks, but in all honesty I’m miserable 24 hours a day. I have kids, I have a full time job, and I seriously can’t continue like this.

I was also told I now have sludge in my gallbladder so it may need to be removed later.

If anyone can relate to this or tell me it will all be okay I would really appreciate it. I’m at my breaking point and am very disappointed in myself for electing to have this surgery.

Whoever said this was the easy way out LIED! This is hard work!

I had GERD prior to surgery and still have it and I am 1 yr out...I recently had a horrible case of gallbladder inflamed and many stones and had surgery in January to have my gallbladder removed.

You have to allow your body to heal and adjust on its own time. I sat up sleeping for a long time and I still can't drink plain Water which I use to love. I also had and continue to have Tachycardia which I spent many hours in the ER...it comes about, even more, when I am dehydrated which I had a hard time consuming anything except water down apple juice and no sugar added hot cocoa.

I understand but it will get better and it will be the best decision of your life! After a year I am currently only 45lbs from goal and there are aches and pains I no longer suffer from. I was frustrated, tired, and cried often but I promise, it will get better.

You may have to try different things to find out what your body will and will not accept. Just take it slow and only try a little bit (spoonful) at that time to make sure your new tummy can handle it.

Now let's look at a few things... when your stomach is empty and the digestive juices flow in without anything in it...it can make your reflux worse. I started out using Unjury Protein Powder. The plain is virtually tasteless and they have videos on YouTube that will show you how to make Jello Protein Shots. You make it with any flavor sugar-free jello you like and when you are ready you can also use it for sugar-free pudding. I also used their chicken flavor, I added it to my cream of chicken soup...I could NEVER eat plain broth the smell makes me gag. When you are ready for more you can add the chicken flavor to mashed potatoes (loose, not chunky in the beginning), The Flavorless powder you can make your own freeze pops since you stated you can hold those down. I lived off freeze pops my first 2 - 3 months.

The key, in the beginning, is to stay hydrated. Be patient with your healing. Know that everyone is different. Listen to your body it will tell you what it needs and don't rush the process.

You can message me whenever you want if you need to.

I'm on Dexilant, my gastroenterologist calls it the Perrari of PPI, I'm not arguing,with. someone whose speciality is that long and hard to spell. If I didn't have insurance it would be over $300 at Walmart and that's the cheapest,in town . CVS and RiteAid, cost highly,more.
They even have,their own Bible,verse.
"Ye were a stranger, and I took ye in." 😪
Those 2 are out to meet their budget and more👎

What is a stricture and how do you avoid getting one?

The stricture is a narrowing or closing after operation. There’s no way to know if you would get one. the doctors can tell you the percentage of a chance that you may get one, but can’t guarantee anything.

Personally from my experience with GERD/reflux I’m glad I was converted to the bypass. It felt like the same surgery as the sleeve and I’m adjusting better. Like I said - that’s just my experience.