Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1000 cal/day 2 weeks out

My calorie intake is far less than what you were prescribed, the focus now is how many calories did use to what I consume for the day. My goal is to burn the calories i consume daily (500-700 cals), my road bike is now my friend again as I go on 25-30 mile bike rides again for my big workout days, when the weather is warm enough of course. The formula works for myself and has contributed significantly to my overall physical conditioning while healing from surgery.

My experience seems radically different than most because I could eat far more than 1000 calories a day even without refined carbs. My hunger is reduced, but my ability to eat, not so much. I’ve never tested to see how much I can eat, but by week 2 I already had to count calories to make sure I don’t go over. On the one hand I feel lucky. No vomiting, little pain, can eat and drink comfortably. On the other hand, if my success is going to rely mostly on my will power, I won’t be any more successful than I would’ve been without surgery. The lack of hunger helps me now, but long term I hear your appetite comes back. When it does, I won’t have the restrictions to guide me. I’m scared. For the time being I’m doing well, tracking and doing pretty good on Protein.< br>

I sometimes have substitute my hunger and i make a low calorie and no sugar Protein Shake and follow it with pro-botics to maintain the regularity that Protein may cause, and I make a shake that satisfies my taste buds , as we all know now, protein takes much longer to digest and address's some of those issues, not much different than if i made myself something to eat in the past.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:32 AM, SouthernGirl76 said:

My program was different however at 7 months out I’m struggling to get 800 calories in a day. My doctor has ordered (like really wrote an order) for me to do 3 Protein Shakes a day to get my calories. His goal at this point is 1000-1200 for me but will settle for 800-1200. Down 90 pounds total, it’s just a struggle to eat.

I was just sleeved on December 20th and I am struggling also to get any type of food in. I am on soft food and it feels as though it gets stuck. I might be getting around 400 calories a day. Tell me it gets better.

2 hours ago, Claudiarb said:

I just started the soft food phase, I’m 1 month post op and can barely get 400 calories in. I do get 50gm Protein in with the help of a shake.

I am at the same stage as you! I am struggling also getting any kind of calories in. I struggle getting my Protein in also. What kind of Protein Shake do you drink?

37 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I am at the same stage as you! I am struggling also getting any kind of calories in. I struggle getting my Protein in also. What kind of Protein Shake do you drink?

Im drinking the Isopure Dutch chocolate shake, It has zero carbs and 25 gm Protein per scoop, recommended serving size is two scoops but now that Im on the soft food phase I only do 1 scoop. I've had the vanilla as well but like the chocolate better, you can also get unflavored and add it to your Soup , etc. You can get it off Amazon.

Today is my third day of soft foods and I can only get .5 to 1 oz of dense protein in one sitting and that is by eating super slow and chewing a lot. So for example 1 hard boiled egg I cut it in half and can only eat 1 half. I leave the other half for a couple of hrs later. I've found that for me, fish sits super hard on my stomach and I have the feeling that it's stuck in my throat for a long time, I made baked halibut with some salt, pepper , oregano and basil and I can only do 1 spoonfull of it before I get that horrible feeling, which breaks my heart because I love it.

My sister had the surgery 8 months ago and she tells me this is completely normal, she also could only eat very little in the beginning so I don't worry much, before I tried to get at least 2 oz of protein in a sitting but after getting the foamies a couple of times I just do up to 1 oz in a sitting without any problem. Im going to take it slow and complement with the shake when I do not meet my protein goal with food alone.

9 hours ago, Lotte22 said:

My experience seems radically different than most because I could eat far more than 1000 calories a day even without refined carbs. My hunger is reduced, but my ability to eat, not so much. I’ve never tested to see how much I can eat, but by week 2 I already had to count calories to make sure I don’t go over. On the one hand I feel lucky. No vomiting, little pain, can eat and drink comfortably. On the other hand, if my success is going to rely mostly on my will power, I won’t be any more successful than I would’ve been without surgery. The lack of hunger helps me now, but long term I hear your appetite comes back. When it does, I won’t have the restrictions to guide me. I’m scared. For the time being I’m doing well, tracking and doing pretty good on Protein.

Lotte I feel the same as you somewhat. In my first few weeks I was chewing chewing and eating really slow like my Dr. told me to very little resistance but I didn't push it past 4 oz, but definitely could do more if i wanted to. I've recently realized because I was super hungry one day and ate a little on the fast side and didn't super chew that I felt much more restriction and fuller that way. So now I just eat at my normal pace pre surgery and that seems to help. I think all the slowness and chewing was allowing food to slip thru my sleeve easier, thus making overeating possible.

22 hours ago, Claudiarb said:

Im drinking the Isopure Dutch chocolate shake, It has zero carbs and 25 gm Protein per scoop, recommended serving size is two scoops but now that Im on the soft food phase I only do 1 scoop. I've had the vanilla as well but like the chocolate better, you can also get unflavored and add it to your Soup , etc. You can get it off Amazon.

Today is my third day of soft foods and I can only get .5 to 1 oz of dense Protein in one sitting and that is by eating super slow and chewing a lot. So for example 1 hard boiled egg I cut it in half and can only eat 1 half. I leave the other half for a couple of hrs later. I've found that for me, fish sits super hard on my stomach and I have the feeling that it's stuck in my throat for a long time, I made baked halibut with some salt, pepper , oregano and basil and I can only do 1 spoonfull of it before I get that horrible feeling, which breaks my heart because I love it.

My sister had the surgery 8 months ago and she tells me this is completely normal, she also could only eat very little in the beginning so I don't worry much, before I tried to get at least 2 oz of protein in a sitting but after getting the foamies a couple of times I just do up to 1 oz in a sitting without any problem. Im going to take it slow and complement with the shake when I do not meet my protein goal with food alone.

Thank you for the tips! I'm sure it is extremely helpful to be able to ask your sister if things are normal. I would love that. I will keep plugging away and getting on Amazon as we speak.