Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with aversion

Long story short, I was so dehydrated at one point that I couldn't handle Protein Drinks or puree. Now I struggle with aversion and the thought of consuming anything but Clear Liquids gives me major anxiety. Doctor is giving me 2 weeks (well now a week and a half) to start consuming at least 40 grams of Protein or I get a picc line. I've tried clear protein but I get the same hard core anxiety.

Anyone else been through this? Help!

SW: 366

CW: 340

GW1: 200

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

I’m not sure where the dehydration equals aversion to Protein? Were you vomiting from the protein drinks? Is that what caused the aversion?

More information may be needed to get you useful help. That being said you may just need to keep sampling products until you find high protein items that you are able to tolerate that fit in with your diet. It is definitely a trial and error process and some people seem to struggle more with this, especially soon after surgery.

It does get better and hopefully someone will come along that is more helpful!

I hope you feel better soon and are able to eat healthfully!

I’m not sure where the dehydration equals aversion to Protein? Were you vomiting from the Protein Drinks? Is that what caused the aversion?
More information may be needed to get you useful help. That being said you may just need to keep sampling products until you find high Protein items that you are able to tolerate that fit in with your diet. It is definitely a trial and error process and some people seem to struggle more with this, especially soon after surgery.
It does get better and hopefully someone will come along that is more helpful!
I hope you feel better soon and are able to eat healthfully!

Yes I vomited multiple drinks that o could handle before I got that dehydrated. I have problems sampling because I get bad anxiety just thinking about drinking them.

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

Drink some regular milk then. Maybe some medication for anxiety. And get some counseling.

Honestly, when you are deep into ketosis...you get (many get), deep anorexia and aversion to food. The easiest way to get out of it is to reawaken your body and get it out of deep ketosis. Can you have any solids yet? If it was me, I'd do as @Sosewsue61 suggests and try some milk or chocolate milk, or a few saltines and chicken broth or something like that. Anything just to bring you intoa more shallow level of ketosis...

Sorry you're struggling! ((hugs))

Yes, I did develope an aversion to food. But mine began when I had Strictures. I ended up having 5 endoscopes with 4 dialations. Which started around my 3 week out from my RNY. I had my Rny on July 2, 2013. I had my first Endo in Nov, again in Dec, Jan 2014, July 2014 with my last done in Janof 2015. So I was afraid to eat or drink because I vomited so much. I could only keep oatmeal, some Protein drinks, cheese, some crackers and of all thing Cheetos. My Dr didn't say much about what I ate. He told me he didn't care if I ate Oatmeal 10 times a day I needed to get protein in. I did go for counceling but the 1st one didn't know how t deal with weight loss peeps at all. The Bariatric Nutrionist told me to eat every 1/2 hour I was awake, that set my anxiety thru the roof. It will get better, you have to work thru this. Your body needs everything you can give it to heal. You need protein to heal and get enough fluids in too. It doesn't take long to dehydrate. Good Luck KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

I'm so sorry you are having difficulty. I had some difficulty with Protein Shakes after surgery. It took a while for me to find something that worked. Now I drink nectar Lemon tea and I mix it in Water. It is not milk based and it has a delicious flavor. They are sold in individual packs, so you try it before spending a lot of money. I picked mine up from the Vitamin Shoppe. You can also get it on Amazon. I hope you are able to get the Protein in you need.

Sent from my SM-T818T using BariatricPal mobile app

I couldn’t do the Protein Shakes so I bought Protein Soup and protein Fruit Drinks which went down much easier. I bought them in the BariatricPal Store. Have you tried those?

I couldn’t do the Protein Shakes so I bought Protein Soup and Protein Fruit Drinks which went down much easier. I bought them in the BariatricPal Store. Have you tried those?

I have not tried those except for the premade fruit Protein Drink. I now use GENEPRO and nectar Protein Powder.< br>
Sent from my SM-T818T using BariatricPal mobile app

I couldn’t do the Protein Shakes so I bought Protein Soup and protein fruit drinks which went down much easier. I bought them in the BariatricPal Store. Have you tried those?

I tried fruit drinks and I have aversion to them too. I did try some soft food early (supposed to still be in puree) and I'm doing ok there

RNY Dec 18, 2017!