Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side Effects of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Claudiarb said:

Ugh mine too, the belching is horrific, I’m not meeting my Water requirements during the week because I refuse to drink at work at the possibility that someone might hear me. That and the gurgling in the throat.

Does it completely go away?

I would say no. Not completely, but...I can usually open my mouth for a conversation without the loudest belch ever escaping ( and I mean Escaping without any warning that it was coming.) from what sounds like a completely cavernous realm. I still belch, but usually only if I drink too fast, after I'm eating, or if I'm having a bout of reflux. the gurgling in the throat has ceased.

Embrace it. The importance of your Water requirements are waaaaay more important that your pride. ;)

On 1/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

TIL: Smurfs have genitalia.

Shut the smurf up!

On 1/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

TIL: Smurfs have genitalia.

Shut the smurf up!

Bluedick, Anxiety, Fleas, enlarged eyeball, tummy ache, Rickets, Gout, Chlamydia, Wobbly feet syndrome, donkey breath, Units, Polshanks, East River Gorgonzola Drip (I don't know what it is either but it sounds nasty), Pink Pubic hair, scarring of the inner nostril, webbed fingers and webbed toes.

Lol!!

On 1/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, low bmi sleeve said:

Side Effects of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

@low bmi sleeve

reflux/gerd

doc should ask you if you presently have acid reflux

if your answer is YES - you are prone to have more/

worse reflux PO:angry: Not necessarily for everyone.

i was fortunate not to have any issues.

make sure to write a list of questions i.e. gerd - to

ask the doc about.

good luck

kathy

1 hour ago, proudgrammy said:

@low bmi sleeve

reflux/gerd

doc should ask you if you presently have acid reflux

if your answer is YES - you are prone to have more/

worse reflux PO:angry: Not necessarily for everyone.

i was fortunate not to have any issues.

make sure to write a list of questions i.e. gerd - to

ask the doc about.

good luck

kathy

I have GERD and had the sleeve - some said what you said, some said they'd never heard of such a thing. It has been terrible since I've moved to soft foods, even with Prilosec, which did the trick 95% of the time pre-surgery. This morning I made the mistake of taking my morning pills (Prilosec, 50 mg Cozaar, 5 mg Bystolic, 2000 IU Vitamin D, fish oil, ursodial, and Calcium citrate) on an empty stomach and felt like my stomach was on fire! My surgeon says the GERD will go away as my stomach heals and I lose weight.

The bigger issue for me was my family history of Crohn's - if that presented itself in the future, the sleeve was better if you have Crohn's than RNY.

The worst part for me is that I've been cold literally all the time. I have to wear layers and layers of clothing and sometimes I avoid going places if I know it's either particularly cold outside or I know the place to be cold. Otherwise I've been lucky and had very few side effects besides the 115 pound weight loss.

Best case scenario...you will have no side effects, or very minimal side effects. My personal experience? I've had dental procedures that were more difficult. My recovery has been textbook and easy. I'm losing weight and feeling excellent.

These surgeries are extremely safe now. Their mortality rate is better than gall bladder surgery.

That said...it's still a major surgery.

Worst case scenario....you can throw a bad clot, get a pulmonary embolism and die. Doesn't happen very often, and they take measures to prevent this.....but it still happens once in a while in spite of everyone's best efforts.

Sleeve surgery takes place very near the spleen. The spleen is an extremely dangerous bleeder. If your surgeon has the misfortune of accidentally injuring your spleen, it could have to be removed...which can be very dangerous. This is a great reason to lose weight before surgery and follow your presurgical diet to shrink your liver. Give your surgeon some room to work.

Everyones experience is different. Personally, I burp and pass gas alllll the time. i only get acid reflux when i get hungry (i know its weird). The main thing that happened to me after surgey is it totally ruined my relationship with food. Which at first i was mad about but now i know thats really what i needed. My taste buds have changed and i dont enjoy eating or having sweets anymore. However, i feel good, im looking good! I sleep so much better, i dont get winded easily, back pain has decreased, i enjoy going out and doing things, i dont dread getting dressed in the morning. the pros outway the cons!

2 minutes ago, lala777o1 said:

Everyones experience is different. Personally, I burp and pass gas alllll the time. i only get acid reflux when i get hungry (i know its weird). The main thing that happened to me after surgey is it totally ruined my relationship with food. Which at first i was mad about but now i know thats really what i needed. My taste buds have changed and i dont enjoy eating or having sweets anymore. However, i feel good, im looking good! I sleep so much better, i dont get winded easily, back pain has decreased, i enjoy going out and doing things, i dont dread getting dressed in the morning. the pros outway the cons!

actually, interesting note, acid reflux can come across to Sleevers as hunger because the body misinterprets the sensations. I upped my meds and the "hunger" and acid went away. Don't know if that will help you but I read your post and thought it might.

7 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

actually, interesting note, acid reflux can come across to Sleevers as hunger because the body misinterprets the sensations. I upped my meds and the "hunger" and acid went away. Don't know if that will help you but I read your post and thought it might.

it comes on when it is typically time for me to eat. i get the sour taste coming up my throat. Which meds are you talking about?

4 hours ago, lala777o1 said:

it comes on when it is typically time for me to eat. i get the sour taste coming up my throat. Which meds are you talking about?

That would happen to me as well. I take omeprazole with magnesium twice a day. One AM, one PM. I then also take Pepcid AC Complete chewables (the pink fruit flavored one to be precise. lol!) which I have to use every few days as well. I use it the moment I feel any acid happening.

My doc moved me from once a day Omeprazole to twice a day, and my life improved greatly!! I don't go anywhere without the Pepcid Complete either.

The thing is, because our stomachs are now very susceptible to ulcers and thinning of the stomach lining, my doc considers excess acid as a major concern. I've woken up a few times choking on acid since the surgery and that's when I made my SOS call to my doc. I wasn't even afraid of a bleeding ulcer at that point, I was afraid of drowning in my own acid. I had aspirated some acid both times and it took a few days to stop coughing up that sweet/bitter Fluid from my lungs. UGH, so scary.

So talk to your doc, there is prescription strength Proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole) you can be prescribed, there are other avenues to go down as well. Just be sure to keep mentioning it to your Surgeon. In fact, if I continued to have a problem I would call as soon as tomorrow if I were you.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are feeling great soon!

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

On 1/11/2018 at 4:08 PM, MowryRocks said:

My worst side effects have been uncontrollable belching (which eased after about 3 months post op) and Constipation. While they seem minor. The constipation is/was severe.

I'm having the same problem and it is affecting my quality of life. Did you find any solutions? I'm almost 2 months post op and have only had one satisfactory BM since surgery. It's driving me nuts. My next thing to try is a colonoscopy prep.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:24 AM, low bmi sleeve said:

I will be sleeved soon and I want to know every possible side effect the good bad and ugly dont hold anything back

Probably better to go in with a positive attitude & outlook. Knowing everything may not be the best approach. My surgeon told me that you will hear every bad story out there but you rarely hear the good ones. If people have no complaints your less likely to hear of their success but you can bet that most every negative experience is out there.