Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! How much eating in the purée stage?

Hi! I have a few questions. The first is about how much is typically supposed to be eaten in the purée stage? I feel as if I’m eating too much, but I have felt uncomfortably full which has helped made me realize when to stop. Also I’m having trouble eating slowly. My nutritionist said 2 tablespoons in 10-15 minutes which seems so slow. Is that the same for everyone else? I’m thinking this might be for the next stage. I’m also wondering about Water. I’ve accidentally chugged a few times without thinking, but I had no pain and wasn’t uncomfortable. Why aren’t we supposed to do this? Thank you in advance!

My guide says 2oz Protein and 2 oz veggies, so 4 oz at a sitting. I ate 3/4 of a cup of Soup today and it took about 45 mins to eat it. Takes about that long for me to eat a jar of baby food. Any faster and I get pain. I found a way to eat so little with each bite that I can constantly eat without any pain, which is less frustrating.

I say if you can guzzle Water with no pain, guzzle it. I cannot. I feel like each week I can take one more swallow at a time without pain, but I can only take about 3 sips at a time now.

Hi! I have a few questions. The first is about how much is typically supposed to be eaten in the purée stage? I feel as if I’m eating too much, but I have felt uncomfortably full which has helped made me realize when to stop. Also I’m having trouble eating slowly. My nutritionist said 2 tablespoons in 10-15 minutes which seems so slow. Is that the same for everyone else? I’m thinking this might be for the next stage. I’m also wondering about Water. I’ve accidentally chugged a few times without thinking, but I had no pain and wasn’t uncomfortable. Why aren’t we supposed to do this? Thank you in advance!

I’m at puréed stage and Water goes down fine for me. The food - just depends on what it is. Yogurt goes down way easier than Beans or something heavy. You’ll know if you eat too much or too fast. It’ll come right back up! That’s what I’m working with now.

My program has us just try and hit the Protein and Fluid goals, so you can eat whatever. If you are worried you can track calories. Purée goes right through you so you may not feel the restriction as much. Good you can chug, I can't do that at all. The slow eating is to prevent pain and give you time to feel full, if you eat too fast you may overeat.

I had my surgery back in august, and i still dont keep track of anything. I just make sure my Protein is higher then my carbs or equal to it, everyone has there own program. Some track, some dont. But protein and fluids are one thing everyone has in common. It still takes me about 20-30 minutes to eat 4 to 5 tbsp, and i definitely can not chug water...lol Water is hard for me to drink alot of at once. The eating is a little easier when i do take it slower, and use a toddler fork or spoon. Helps you from eating to fast and to much. I use to get sick alot after eating, because i was guilty of both. The toddler utensils helped out so much. Good luck to all of you and know with time you will learn your new stomachs! :0)

SW: 244 CW: 193

I had my surgery back in august, and i still dont keep track of anything. I just make sure my Protein is higher then my carbs or equal to it, everyone has there own program. Some track, some dont. But Protein and fluids are one thing everyone has in common. It still takes me about 20-30 minutes to eat 4 to 5 tbsp, and i definitely can not chug water...lol Water is hard for me to drink alot of at once. The eating is a little easier when i do take it slower, and use a toddler fork or spoon. Helps you from eating to fast and to much. I use to get sick alot after eating, because i was guilty of both. The toddler utensils helped out so much. Good luck to all of you and know with time you will learn your new stomachs! :0)
SW: 244 CW: 193

IMG_3397.JPG
This is a guide I got from my dietician.

My Dr. Doesnt have one like that for me, it was always about the Protein and fluids. My diet is high protein, low carbs,. I do watch sugar grams, no more then 2-3g though. But this was built for me specifically, and it works for me. My surgery date was august 29th 2017, my surgery weight was 244, now currently im 193. I have reached 2 goals so far, one being under 200lbs before Christmas ✔Done 2nd goal was to loose 50lbs ✔Done

All of this in 4 and 1/2 months😊

My dietitian said that new ten year research is linking a low calorie diet for too long with a starvation metabolism reset...that hurts weight loss and loss maintenance long term. It's also associated with more hairloss and malnutrition.

We were advised to eat 1000-1200 calories per day as soon as possible at our one week appointment. I made it there at 3 weeks. We also eat low glycemic carbs, and are expected to be as active as possible and walk daily until it's safe to work out.

We eat three small meals and three Snacks a day.

IMG_3397.thumb.JPG.5dc1c950af528a5973bc7b8ed4815a19.JPG
This is a guide I got from my dietician.

This is almost identical to what I got from my NUT. People on here thought I was crazy when I said 120 carbs a day. Glad you shared!

Puréed stage for me is 2oz at a time but they want us to eat every 2-3 hours.

My doc didn’t give me a set amount, but did say every 3-4 hours. I can usually get down a pack of tuna (2.6 oz) but it takes a good 30 min.