Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Driving after a gastric sleeve

After my initial freak out I now feel great at 6 days post op, no issues all golden apart from I hate the taste of my Iron tablet proper gross!

I am in the UK so looking for anyone that's had it in UK to know what time frame they were given where they could drive again? I'm desperate to drive but can I get a hold of the clinic to ask them..

No! Typical!

Hope all good with everyone that's just had surgery and awaiting it :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I drove after 2 weeks

24 hours post op.

From what my doc told me the ban on driving had more to do with being on pain meds than anything else. They didn't want you driving with meds that cause drowsiness. I drove about a week after surgery. I was fighting a lot of exhaustion so it had to be short trips.

Edited by orionburn

I think I drove to get my pain meds after I was discharged and taken home by a friend. I never had to take the meds and was driving pretty regularly the first week.

Edited by JLT281

After my initial freak out I now feel great at 6 days post op, no issues all golden apart from I hate the taste of my Iron tablet [emoji40] proper gross!
I am in the UK so looking for anyone that's had it in UK to know what time frame they were given where they could drive again? I'm desperate to drive but can I get a hold of the clinic to ask them..
No! Typical!
Hope all good with everyone that's just had surgery and awaiting it [emoji4]

I’m in the UK too, whereabouts are you? Glad to hear your doing well and feeling better.

I was told by my consultant 2 weeks but probably best to check with your car insurance as some may say more or less than that xx

I drove the day of discharge. I was off of pain meds since day 2 (discharged on 3rd day). It is because of pain meds, so if you don't need them, and you think you can focus on driving, it is fine to drive.

5 hours ago, Lumarsolxx said:

Driving after a gastric sleeve

@Lumarsolxx

welcome Newbie

was driving happily at 26 days

my DH says i continue to drive

him crazy after 26 years!!:lol:

glad your recovery has been going so well!!

kathy

I’m in the UK too, whereabouts are you? Glad to hear your doing well and feeling better.

I was told by my consultant 2 weeks but probably best to check with your car insurance as some may say more or less than that xx

Hiya I'm in Suffolk and saw Dr parks at addenbrookes before having the surgery at UCLH, how about you? X

I could drive as soon as I stopped taking pain meds, but I don't think I drove for the first time until about day 10 or so.

Surgery was Tuesday, home Wednesday from the Hospital - drove Friday to do grocery shopping for the family. Didn't take any pain meds after discharge. My doc's rule was once I was off pain meds, I was clear to drive.

Hiya I'm in Suffolk and saw Dr parks at addenbrookes before having the surgery at UCLH, how about you? X

I live in Swindon and saw Mr Titcomb at Nuffield Hospital in Bristol. How are you feeling post op? How’s your food going? Xx

I was off Narcotics on day 2...drove on day four I think. I could have driven on day three, but hubby was home, so he drove:)

I was told 2 weeks by my team. The first concern is the narcotics of course but they also said for healing if I could avoid driving for a couple weeks to do that as well.