Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide on which type of surgery is best for you?

Yes. I was deciding between sleeve and bypass. Since I previously had a failed lap band, my doctor told me that bypass was the better option because it's easier to convert. I also have a lot of weight to lose.

I went with sleeve because it seemed to have very good results (second only to bypass) but some of the lowest rates of complications. I also liked that it lets you keep the natural order of your digestive system... a smaller stomach of course, but the same flow.

If you have a very large amount to lose, the extra percentage you lose with bypass is probably totally worth it. And the malabsorbption thing you get with the reroute is probably much less intimidating.

Edited by etc. etc. etc.

3 hours ago, mbj8r8 said:

Yes. I was deciding between sleeve and bypass. Since I previously had a failed lap band, my doctor told me that bypass was the better option because it's easier to convert. I also have a lot of weight to lose.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, etc. etc. etc. said:

If you have a very large amount to lose, the extra percentage you lose with bypass is probably totally worth it. And the malabsorbption thing you get with the reroute is probably much less intimidating.

Thank you! I'm 5'5 and 235 lbs.

I’m struggling with the same issue. My doctor recommended bypass but I’m very worried about the malabsorption. I think the results will be more what I’m hoping for with the bypass but it seems a lot of people feel the sleeve is more natural. Still not sure which one makes the most sense.

All surgeries were equal for me so My surgeon suggested bypass but I ultimately went with sleeve because I was already anemic and didn't want to deal with more deficiencies...

54 minutes ago, Lolly328 said:

I’m struggling with the same issue. My doctor recommended bypass but I’m very worried about the malabsorption. I think the results will be more what I’m hoping for with the bypass but it seems a lot of people feel the sleeve is more natural. Still not sure which one makes the most sense.

I was thinking the sleeve would be best for me but I saw a post that said the sleeve isn't good for people with acid reflux which I have. :(

I got the sleeve and I don’t have heart burn anymore. My mom got the bypass and the Malabsorption is a big issue but as long as you do your routine labs and have a primary who knows bariatrics it helps

5 hours ago, dennise68 said:

I was thinking the sleeve would be best for me but I saw a post that said the sleeve isn't good for people with acid reflux which I have. :(

My surgeon doesnt have that opinion, esp. if you have a hiatal hernia + GERD. Talk to your surgeon!

I have reflux and the doctor recommended Bypass. Now I waiting for my insurance approve :)

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I did I ton of research before I even met with my Dr, I was leaning toward the bypass, I also have type 2 diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and High Cholesterol. The Dr agreed with me about getting the bypass because most of those types of conditions get better or go away after the bypass. Just something to think about if you are struggling with any extra problems.