Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinning hair

I am 4 months out from the sleeve and my hair is really beginning to thin out. Has anyone had any success with Keranique products? Or any other products? Thanks

I haven’t had luck with anything! Have tried nioxin and Kerastase plus increasing protein/water. Taking Vitamins for hair (eg biotin). I reckon I’ve lost 30-40% of my hair. Now I’m spending my cash on products that will create volume in my hair.

im sure you will hear from people who swear by one product or another but I feel like there’s not much you can actually do. I’m so jealous of the lucky people who haven’t experienced this!!

For some of us, it's just going to happen. Keep taking your Vitamins, your Biotin and wait it out. It stops. My Hair loss was about 30-40%. Now it is growing back, and I have so much short baby hair around the top of my head. It's kind of crazy. But it will grow back, never fear.

I am 4 months out from the sleeve and my hair is really beginning to thin out. Has anyone had any success with Keranique products? Or any other products? Thanks

The Monat products are expensive, but they do the trick. Also, I cut my hair into an inverted bob, to where it just slightly touched my shoulders, to let it thicken back up, and that helped tremendously.

3 minutes ago, TXGALINAR said:

The Monat products are expensive, but they do the trick. Also, I cut my hair into an inverted bob, to where it just slightly touched my shoulders, to let it thicken back up, and that helped tremendously.

I got a hair cut too, I layered my hair and it made a difference. Trust your stylist and also, if you are graying like me, keep your roots colored. The gray makes the thinning more noticeable.

I'm six months out on Jan.21st, I was taking Biotin since I left the nutritionist office and she said it would help with the Hair loss. So needless to say I was gung ho about my hair. It has kept my hair from coming out in clumps, but it is thinning out. I am looking for new Hair growth keep you posted.

Sent from my N9560 using BariatricPal mobile app

16 hours ago, Toolie said:

Important to remember not everyone will loss hair and everyone is different. So what may help one may not help you...

That being said :

The active ingredients in keranique is minoxidil same as rogaine, I consulted with my dermatologist and confirmed it will help considerably but once you stop taking it the hair will come out again because it only prolongs the Anagen growth phase of the hair but it cannot prevent the Telogen phase. Not wanting to use rogaine , I did a bit of research on what may help and came across a few medical journals that point to Protein intake being at or above recommended values, the status of your Ferritin levels (iron stores) and L-Lysine as a promising treatment. If you are good on protein and Iron then look into L-Lysine. If I remember correctly it blocks the receptors or binds with a hormone that causes increased balding and was being studied as a treatment for male pattern baldness. It is an essential amino acid readily available so no harm in using it. I also asked my surgeon about Biotin and he confirmed that for Telogen effluvium, why everyone is losing hair after the surgery, the medical evidence does not support biotin being all that helpful. It will help regrowth when you get to that phase but won't prevent the loss. Please let me know how it goes. I'm only 2 months out but I started taking

L-Lysine by week 2 post OP.

For a better understanding google L-Lysine and Telogen Effluvium

Hope you this helps everyone

Edited by Tealael

Biotin will only help the hair grow back in, but I also noticed my eyebrows we're growing in fuller where they were very sparse, my eyelashes grew also where they were very short. I am going to look up about L-Lysine maybe it can help my thinning hair that has nothing to do with the surgery. Tfs

Sent from my N9560 using BariatricPal mobile app

My hair used to be awesome- now is dry and much thinner. I hate seeing my brush in the shower full of hair. 4.5 mos out. Hoping it goes back to normal ....soooon

HW. 289
SW. 284
Height. 5’8

I feel better knowing I’m not the only one. I’m losing entire handfuls every day. 5 months out. I just started taking Biotin also to see if that helps. Ive experienced this even way before surgery and it eventually went away. Luckily my hair is super thick and I don’t have bald spots that I know of. [emoji28]

On 1/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, TXGALINAR said:

Thank you for that information I just cut my hair too and it does look a little thicker and makes a big difference actually.

I am six month post op. My hair started thinning out at the end of month three and just stopped a couple weeks ago. I started 10,000 mcg daily Biotin preop and have taken it religiously since then. I honestly think there’s no way to stop it. Some people get lucky and don’t go thru it. I’ve found that dry Shampoo at the roots adds a lot of volume and masks the thinness of the hair. If your hair is dark they make black and brown tinted dry shampoos that are great. I use the Batiste brand.