Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't even had the surgery and I feel like I'm failing already. I'm trying to eat healthy like my nutritionist said but it's not going so well... I'm constantly hungry. I have to lose 16lbs in 2 months to have my surgery, which isn't unreasonable at all... did anyone struggle before the surgery but was successful afterwards? :(

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Have you tried cutting way back on carbs? Maybe even doing an Atkins type diet with little to no carbs? I feel like it will be much easier to lose weight post op when we are not so hungry.

Keep in mind that the more you lose pre op, the safer surgery will be for you.

I have done many Atkins type diets. The good thing about eating all Protein is that you can lose weight without being hungry. That has always been key for me to be successful. It is much easier to eat the wrong foods (carbs) when you are hungry.

Plus, it would be a good idea to cut way down on carbs now since you will not be eating many post op. Could help lessen severity of "keto flu" which is what most people feel with sudden carb withdrawal.

Hope that helped and good luck!

I was failing also then I realized that it would be too hard to make all the changes at once after the surgery so I buckled down and one month prior to surgery tossed everything I wouldn't be able to eat after surgery. EVERYTHING. Fresh start and a long enough time to make it a habit. No regrets and very little struggle afterwards. My suggestion is to work really hard at the hydration and become friends with Water. That way you'll be super hydrated prior to surgery , form a necessary habit and will lessen the risk of dehydration after.

YOU GOT THIS!!!

You can do it! Listen to what Tealael said about NOT eating any carbs. (Nothing White) Try drinking lots of Water too. You can eat all the meats and vegetables you want but no carbs. If you get a really bad craving for carbs just try to eat only ONE serving a day. Hugs and best wishes!

I think part of pre-op dieting is getting it in your head that food is NOT something that you need to turn to all the time. It hit me during my liquid only pre-op. I see people on here who cry at the thought of not eating like they previously had, but that’s kind of the point. I know I can eventually eat the things I love (I want tacos so fn bad right now) but I have to change my relationship with food first. Good luck! 😘

38 minutes ago, mbj8r8 said:

Don't be so hard on yourself. This isn't easy. I have had to learn to give myself grace.

Absolutely! ❤️

10 hours ago, MissSimpson said:

I think part of pre-op dieting is getting it in your head that food is NOT something that you need to turn to all the time. It hit me during my liquid only pre-op. I see people on here who cry at the thought of not eating like they previously had, but that’s kind of the point. I know I can eventually eat the things I love (I want tacos so fn bad right now) but I have to change my relationship with food first. Good luck! 😘

So much this!

If you have to do a liquid pre-op diet you can try doing what I did. I knew it was going to be tough so I tried to prep myself as much as possible. When I was a month away I started doing a liquid lunch at work. Some times it was just chicken bullion cube in hot Water and a few saltine crackers. Even though it was difficult at first I knew that I would be getting food at dinner and taught me some tricks on fighting head hunger (and real hunger) during the day.

Not saying my method was the best or right for you, but it helped me. Don't beat yourself up for failings. It's like people that beat themselves up when trying to quit smoking. Yes it sucks when you break a streak of going without a smoke, but we need to give ourselves credit when we go from a pack a day to having a single smoke after a week. This is much more mental than we think. Don't give up!

3 hours ago, orionburn said:

So much this!

If you have to do a liquid pre-op diet you can try doing what I did. I knew it was going to be tough so I tried to prep myself as much as possible. When I was a month away I started doing a liquid lunch at work. Some times it was just chicken bullion cube in hot Water and a few saltine crackers. Even though it was difficult at first I knew that I would be getting food at dinner and taught me some tricks on fighting head hunger (and real hunger) during the day.

Not saying my method was the best or right for you, but it helped me. Don't beat yourself up for failings. It's like people that beat themselves up when trying to quit smoking. Yes it sucks when you break a streak of going without a smoke, but we need to give ourselves credit when we go from a pack a day to having a single smoke after a week. This is much more mental than we think. Don't give up!

Yaaasss! High fives! 😘❤️

Maybe start with a small change that you can manage. I started having a green smoothie for Breakfast every morning and substituted one snack a day for a Protein Shake and actually lost 10 lbs over the holidays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

This is not always an easy journey but is so worth it. During pre op I kept reminding myself, “this is doctors orders”. Therefore it took away the choice for me to stray from the food plan. Definitely go low carb. After surgery you will not have the same hunger issues. You can do this.

Thank you everyone! You kept me motivated throughout the rest of the day yesterday & this morning. It's so damn hard to stop letting food control me. I literally have to look at motivational quotes when I think of eating something that I'm not supposed to. I'm eating low carb and being a vegetarian... it's even less options, but worth it! Thanks again ♡♡♡

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was absolutely a total failure up to the day of surgery! My surgeon/insurance did not require a specific amount of weight loss - only that I didn't gain. Plus, I didn't have any sort of pre-op liquid diet (just 1 day prior). I was honestly a hot mess of "last suppers" leading up to surgery. Consequently, I had horrendous withdrawal symptoms from sugar, carbs and caffeine during my first couple of weeks after surgery on top of recovering from major surgery and trying to figure out my new digestive system. I wouldn't wish that misery on anyone :( So the more you can do now the better and easier your recovery will be. Just take it one day at a time. Good luck!

You have this... take each day at a time and focus on the bigger picture xxx

I was absolutely a total failure up to the day of surgery! My surgeon/insurance did not require a specific amount of weight loss - only that I didn't gain. Plus, I didn't have any sort of pre-op liquid diet (just 1 day prior). I was honestly a hot mess of "last suppers" leading up to surgery. Consequently, I had horrendous withdrawal symptoms from sugar, carbs and caffeine during my first couple of weeks after surgery on top of recovering from major surgery and trying to figure out my new digestive system. I wouldn't wish that misery on anyone [emoji20] So the more you can do now the better and easier your recovery will be. Just take it one day at a time. Good luck!

Decided to give up caffeine during my pre op diet because I really don’t want to go through withdrawals after surgery. I cannot imagine how tough that was to go through. I’m 3 days sober!