Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control after surgery

I haven't been on birth control for almost 8 years. I'm good at tracking my cycle and being careful around ovulation, but my doctor said fertility goes way up with the rapid weight loss so just to be on the safe side I'm going back on the pill.

I saw my Gyn today and she put me on Camila. Doing progestin only until my blood pressure is lower. I'm wondering if anyone else uses Camila or has experience on it.

I read reviews online and most were negative so before I start it I figured I'd ask here for opinions.

IUD is kind of a last resort if the pill doesn't work out.

I’m not familiar with that one. I take ortho tri cyclen and I’ve never had a problem with it.

I loved ortho tri cyclen...it's all I've ever used. But because of my blood pressure I can't use birth control with estrogen. Progestin only.

I was on Camila for a couple years and it was totally fine, no issues! The one thing I will say is my hormones have changed after surgery and I'm much, much more depressed, moody, and sensitive during PMS time. Just keep record of your symptoms because you might need a lower dose as you lose weight.

I don’t have any experience with Camila, but I do have an IUD. It’s been the greatest thing ever for me. Just out of curiosity why is it kind of your last resort?

I don’t have any experience with Camila, but I do have an IUD. It’s been the greatest thing ever for me. Just out of curiosity why is it kind of your last resort?

I'm so afraid of the pain! Yearly exams don't bother me at all but the thought of having an iud put in is too much.

My doctor said they will do it under sedation... that's the only way I'd consider doing it.

Everyone is different of course, but my IUD experience was terrible. So much incredible pain every single month. I've never had kids, but I feel like the pain was similar to that of childbirth. I had to take opioids and muscle relaxers to get through the 5-9 days of my period and I bled so much I became anemic. I also believe it gave me ovarian cysts and falliopian blockage, as that is suspected to be related to IUDs. Now I have to be on hormonal BC to control the cysts.

Of course there are people who love it and have no issue. But I can't recommend after what happened to me.

I can’t speak on the BC pills but since I have Migraines I was limited in my options - no estrogen. I opted for the IUD because I’m not that great at remembering a pill every day and don’t want to risk it. I like my IUD for the convenience. I don’t love it. I had it placed in September and I bled for 6 weeks...the cramping was pretty bad too because I think your body is like “wtf is this thing? Get out of me!!”
I still feel it when I cramp, but it’s not really painful. All in all no regrets. And 5 years without having to take a pill is pretty great too!!
I got the Kyleena which is the next size/dose down from the Mirena. There’s also the Skyla which is smaller/lower dose than the Kyleena but only offers 3 years protection.