Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 130+ lbs With pics

Hello friends,

Thought it was time to share.

I am 21 lbs away from my doctor's goal for me of 175 lbs, although I might want to set another goal if I reach his goal.

My surgery date was 11-14-16, so almost 14 months ago.

My high weight 10-1-16 was 334 lbs. I now weigh 195 lbs, so I have lost a total of 139 lbs.

It really is hard for me to believe. Getting the surgery was the best decision I could have ever made.

Shelley_Weight Loss.png

Shell 1-7-18_195_down 139.jpg

Edited by mylighthouse

Hello friends,
Thought it was time to share.
I am 21 lbs away from my doctor's goal for me of 175 lbs, although I might want to set another goal if I reach his goal.
My surgery date was 11-14-16, so almost 14 months ago.
My high weight 10-1-16 was 334 lbs. I now weigh 195 lbs, so I have lost a total of 139 lbs.
It really is hard for me to believe. Getting the surgery was the best decision I could have ever made.

5a52a9be00c96_Shelley_WeightLoss.png.7d05a249e8804532dbdb7b1c4f5f9142.png
5a52a9cdc71cb_Shell1-7-18_195_down139.thumb.jpg.583cb4c6d3b361eb5952570478d66400.jpg

That is absolutely incredible! You should be very proud. You look beautiful!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

You look amazing and so happy mylighthouse. So happy for you! Any tips you can give me? I have surgery tomorrow.

Fantastic! What an accomplishment! You look wonderful!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, Honeyswt said:

You look amazing and so happy mylighthouse. So happy for you! Any tips you can give me? I have surgery tomorrow.

Thank you. I am happy, even when I was obese, I was happy.... funny, I know. I have just always been surrounded by love and I love life!

Wow! Your surgery is tomorrow? What time? Congratulations! You will do just fine.

Tips:

I am certainly not going to overload you with info/tips, because there are so many things I could say.

So I will give you just a few tips that really helped me a lot.

1. Belong to a support group from the start, whether it's a local support group with other WLS patients, or whether it's through a support system like bariatric pal. I do have a local support group, but due to other health problems and being unable to drive, I couldn't make those meetings. So my main support system has been here at bariatric pal. The forums are great, you can do searches for topics/questions that you might have along your weight loss journey. A lot of good advice can be found here, a lot of encouragement can be found here. It helps to have others that are going through the WLS journey too. Not all advice you find here will be good advice. That said, follow the guidelines given to you by your nutritionist and surgeon. Do what they say, including when to progress to the different food stages.

2. After surgery, it is so important to keep hydrated. Some people have a lot of trouble with nausea and getting in their liquids. If you are one of them, ask your surgeon for an anti nausea med to help, I took ondansetron, it enabled me to sip, sip, sip and get that 64 ounces minimum of liquids in. Before I got the anti nausea med, the liquids were not going down for me and I got mildly dehydrated and had to go to the ER and get IV fluids. Don't let that happen to you.

3. Get your Protein in. Most doctors will tell you 60 grams a day minimum. That is a good start, if you can get more than that, even better. If you don't get protein the first day or two, that is okay, but you are going to need it after that. It will help you heal among other things. Very important. If you need more info on good Proteins, then do a search for it here, and you will find lots of useful information.

4. Don't focus on stepping on the scale too much in those first few weeks. Nothing wrong with weighing yourself, but do not get discouraged if you don't lose X amount of pounds... and don't even be discouraged if you gain weight right after surgery. You are having major surgery. Weight can really fluctuate in those beginning days. Important: Don't compare your weight loss to what others have lost. Everyone is different. Don't be discouraged.

5. Last, but not least, get plenty of rest after your surgery. It really isn't a difficult surgery or recovery for most, but it's important to listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard.

Finally,

Tomorrow is your big day! Feelings of nervousness, being scared, excitement.... those might be some of the things you are experiencing right now. Your surgeon knows what he/she is doing and they will take good care of you.

You will do great! Congratulation again! Try and get some rest tonight.

Edited by mylighthouse

Thank you @sunshinetinks, @Robinski, @Honeyswt, @tifflife, @336Mike, @KimTriesRNY, and @fruitandveggies.

I appreciate all of the kind words and encouragement.....the best to all of you in your weight loss journey!

Edited by mylighthouse

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches