Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MRM Veggie Elite Protein Powder (Vegan)

Has anyone tried this kind? I just ordered a sample kit that includes the three flavors of Veggie Elite Protein Powder plus a shaker bottle and a few other vegan products from MRM. I paid $10 for shipping but the kit was free, which is nice. I read good reviews on a bodybuilding website that this was the best tasting vegan powder and wasn't as gritty as some of the others. It's made with pea and brown rice Protein and is sweetened with stevia.

I hope the samples come quickly as I'll probably be starting my liquid diet in 2-3 weeks and want to get some products ordered soon! I do have a bunch of Premier Protein which I will happily use if needed (I want to survive, whether plant-based or not!) but if I can avoid the milk protein I'd like to try!

Anyone have experience with this brand?

On 1/5/2018 at 7:14 PM, Little Green said:

Has anyone tried this kind? I just ordered a sample kit that includes the three flavors of Veggie Elite Protein Powder plus a shaker bottle and a few other vegan products from MRM. I paid $10 for shipping but the kit was free, which is nice. I read good reviews on a bodybuilding website that this was the best tasting vegan powder and wasn't as gritty as some of the others. It's made with pea and brown rice Protein and is sweetened with stevia.

I hope the samples come quickly as I'll probably be starting my liquid diet in 2-3 weeks and want to get some products ordered soon! I do have a bunch of Premier Protein which I will happily use if needed (I want to survive, whether plant-based or not!) but if I can avoid the milk Protein I'd like to try!

Anyone have experience with this brand?

Try these. They’re very good & Orgain comes in different flavors.

4F5D0700-9B99-4146-A078-E3977274D26B.jpeg

I haven’t. Did you get your samples in? I ended up using Premier Protein (insurance paid) during the first month or so. I had some VegaOne that I liked a lot, but never ventured off to try any other vegan powders. I hope they work out for you!

On 1/10/2018 at 2:53 PM, Heisenberg said:

Try these. They’re very good & Orgain comes in different flavors.

I will check those out! Thank you for the recommendation!

On 1/10/2018 at 10:40 PM, Newme17 said:

I haven’t. Did you get your samples in? I ended up using Premier Protein (insurance paid) during the first month or so. I had some VegaOne that I liked a lot, but never ventured off to try any other vegan powders. I hope they work out for you!

No, not yet. I'm pretty bummed about it but hopefully it should be here soon. I'm still in limbo on my surgery date but it'll probably be 10-14 days until my liquid diet starts so I'm anxious to get some vegan Protein shakes/powders in my arsenal!

Okay, I got my samples in! I have to say, I got SO MUCH STUFF for just my $10 in shipping! I think I got at least 11-12 servings of the different kinds/flavors of vegan Protein powders plus a couple little packets of supplements and the full-size green shaker bottle. That is a great value. It's really nice of them to offer such a comprehensive sample pack!

The first one I decided to try was actually not the Veggie Elite protein mix but the Veggie Meal Replacement. The Veggie Elite mix seems like a workout-specific mix, like you would have with the whey powder. Basically just protein in a specific amino acid profile. The Meal Replacement has a different amino acid profile in the protein, plus Omega 3 & 6 from flax (I think it has DHA/EPA as well), plus an antioxidant blend of various herb/fruit powders and extracts, AND a probiotic blend. That packs a lot of punch! It's 190 calories with 22g protein and 8g Fiber. Pretty impressive.

They also included a Veggie Protein mix, which is basically the same as the Meal Replacement except without the Probiotics, and it's fewer calories. So they have 3 vegan products - Meal Replacement, Veggie Protein, and Veggie Elite Protein.

So the mix I made was the Veggie Meal Replacement powder in chocolate Mocha flavor with 8oz chocolate soy milk (FULL DISCLOSURE: it is sweetened!), a couple oz Water, and a few ice cubes. It's really not bad at all. It's slightly thicker than the premade Premier Protein shakes I've been trying - which I believe is true for all powders vs. premade shakes - and because it's got a tiny bit of stevia (about a gram), it's got a slight aftertaste.

So, is it delicious? No. (And I haven't tried it with water or unsweetened milk yet.) But it's a protein powder. None of them are especially tasty and we're not drinking them for that reason. I don't think it would be fair to hold the vegan protein powder to a higher standard than the milk-based ones.

In a whole food diet I don't think vegan protein powders would really have a regular place, because it's better to eat the actual peas and brown rice instead of just their protein - and better to eat the berries and herbs instead of just their extracts. But for bariatric patients in the early stages where volume is limited and stomach space is at a premium I definitely think these are a good choice.

I'm so excited! Definitely going to be making an order of the full-size products. I also found Orgain on Amazon and at costco, so I might give that one a try too. Apparently Garden of Life has an unflavored protein powder but the reviews on Amazon were pretty bad. So between the MRM powders and the Orgain I think I'll be okay for a bit. And I always have the Premier Protein as a backup.

Sorry for the long post! Hopefully these details help someone :)

On 1/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, Little Green said:

In a whole food diet I don't think vegan Protein powders would really have a regular place, because it's better to eat the actual peas and brown rice instead of just their protein - and better to eat the berries and herbs instead of just their extracts. But for bariatric patients in the early stages where volume is limited and stomach space is at a premium

Absolutely. I’m just thankful that the early stages is just that, a stage and temporary. I’d rather eat my 4oz of kale than have a Protein Shake. 😊