Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now i'm Terrified

so i look on here almost every day i had came across a post about a a woman and her mother and law doing the gastric sleeve but mother in law passed away from a blood clot and it was said she was doing everything she was supposed to do. Me i have a blood clotting disorder and im now terrified i mean i always knew that was a option but this has made me realize to go at diet and exercise again. Im modifying the 21 day fix to fit low carb and intermittent fasting. I am going to stop making excuses and go to the gym before i have to get kids to school and go to work. If this fails i will revisit surgery but for right now i feel like this is the right for me at this point in time. Any one change there minds?

Nope...I understand your fears, though.

Nonetheless, it's been empirically proven that diet and exercise don't work long term. You can lose the weight through old-fashioned diet and exercise, but your internal biochemistry will fight valiantly to get back to 250 pounds. And...the long-term obese body usually wins.

Your odds of keeping the weight off are about 2 percent. So, in all likelihood you'll be revisiting the idea of surgery in the near future.

I sympathize with your fears about developing a clot. Then again, very few elderly people exist who are obese. Obesity will lead to a low quality of life and untimely death.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Introversion

4 hours ago, Introversion said:

Then again, very few elderly people exist who are obese.

Hmmm....you might want to look into this one a little more:) More than one third of people over 65 are obese.

OP, I get your fears...particularly if you have a clotting disorder.

At the end of the day....what this surgery comes down to...is benefit -vs- risk.

For now...continuing to attempt to diet might be your best choice, and it might not. Get a consultation with a hematologist about your specific blood issues. Run some tests. Talk about your comorbidities and ask that they help you to decide which side of benefit-vs-risk that bariatric surgery falls on for you.

Also, if you decide to go through with it...a hematologist can give specific recommendations for the best strategy for you...to prevent a clot. (sometime they can even put clot catching filters in)

Keep in mind that obesity related health concerns can kill you just as fast as a clot. Heart attacks, strokes, obesity related cancer....there are a lot of incentives for acting aggressively to correct obesity.

That said, I don't know enough about your particular blood issue to give you good advice about the risk you personally carry. A hemotologist would. I think going for a consult would be the best way to make up your mind.

Good luck!

Remember too-- we don't know all the details regarding that woman's health. She may have had some serious existing conditions that put her at risk. The last thing you want to do is keep yourself open to getting sicker- if you wait ten years, you may have a lot more health issues by then. I had the surgery with zero health issues (besides obesity) because of my family history. Prevention is my strategy.

I did something similar and did an ultra low calorie diet for a month. I did lose weight, but couldn't stick to it. The deal I made with myself was I would give it one last shot. I didn't want to do surgery and thought it was too extreme. Ultimately for me it was a choice of inevitably developing health issues and being too fat for my favorite activities or playing with my kids that drove me to it. Now I'm happy I did it, but there were definitely risks and I spent a long time evaluating them.

Hopefully you are wildly successful and never revisit it, but if you do you may be able to do a personalized assessment with your surgeon.

I know what your saying, now that surgery is a real possibility i had to take a real serious look at if this is the right choice, could i try and diet harder or exercise more, what type of financial hardship is this going to put my family under? But then i take a step back and i look at the fact that im floating around 300lbs, i have high blood pressure, i have high cholesterol, i have diabetes, i have back issues and now my liver is beginning to have issues. I have tried and i have lost and then i have gained back. Then comes the whole financial issue but i look at that and the reality is what type of financial situation am i putting my family in if i am not around in a few years. My wife and i Have discussed it and as someone else pointed out it comes down to risk vs benefit and while there can be complications there is also benefits, one of which is a longer life with my family.

I often travel in my job so when 9-11 happened and the reality of the fact that that i could have been on those planes hit home for me and my family we had to make the decision of do we do everything we can to avoid risk or do we do everything we can to enjoy every moment we have together. We chose to do everything we can to enjoy every moment we have together. So for me i am moving forward with my plans.

I wish you all the best in your efforts and lifestyle change be that from a surgical intervention or from a change in your diet and exercise. Weigh up your options consult the experts and make a decision based on the facts, but whatever you do dont let your fears rule you. Go in the direction you go in because you feel that is the best option and not simply because you are afraid of the other option.

Have a lengthy discussion with your haemotolgist before making a decision

11 hours ago, jesslynn32288 said:

so i look on here almost every day i had came across a post about a a woman and her mother and law doing the gastric sleeve but mother in law passed away from a blood clot and it was said she was doing everything she was supposed to do. Me i have a blood clotting disorder and im now terrified i mean i always knew that was a option but this has made me realize to go at diet and exercise again. Im modifying the 21 day fix to fit low carb and intermittent fasting. I am going to stop making excuses and go to the gym before i have to get kids to school and go to work. If this fails i will revisit surgery but for right now i feel like this is the right for me at this point in time. Any one change there minds?

Yes I went through the 6 month pre op diet last year..and even dragged it out to 9 months then completely chickened out..I'm glad I did because I did not like the surgeon and shortly after we moved to a different state. The pre op phase stressed me out so bad I gained weight!! The more research I did the more stressed I was.

Now exactly one year later of doing this on my own working out and trying to eat healthy Ive lost 18 pounds in a year!!! Ugh..and that's with taking a prescribed appetite suppresant..

I've failed for years..tired of trying so hard to fail..I'm going to see the best surgeon in Chicago in two weeks.

I hope you are more successful than I was!!

I think it's normal to be concerned especially reading a story like that one but you don't know if there were other medical issues that came up that she might not have even known existed or were new. I think your best bet is to consult with all of your doctors, including your surgeon, hematologist and PCP, and discuss your concerns and risk.

For me, diet and exercise just didn't work long term and constant yo-yo dieting and being obese is a huge health risk itself. I have family that lost over 100 pounds on their own and then gained it almost all back as soon as they stopped excessive exercise. I also have friend who can't maintain her weight loss if he doesn't run 7 miles or more a day so she bounces from a size 26 to a 14 and back. Some people need surgical intervention to maintain. Best of luck to you.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So I have been asked by my family to give diet and exercise another go. I dont have a hematologist the one disorder i do have only if provoked should i throw a clot. I do take aspirin 325 daily for preventative. My other issue with surgery is i have no comorbidities and if i loose like 2 pounds i wont qualify so i will give it another shot and see what happens. Also i was 280 and did the 21 day fix and got down to 245 and then had two kids back to back so maybe if i commit myself ill do good again.

All surgeries have some sort of risk associated with it. If you're too worried, I think its a good thing to take a step back, and try a different approach. You can always revisit surgery if you want. Its YOUR choice. Its YOUR body. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. You know what's best for you! Good luck!

I have gone back and forth on my decision to have my surgery. I don't think we are alone in that.

Only we ourselves can make the decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app