Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a secret sleever, I only told a few friends and my doctors (one of whom is a very good friend of mine). I won't get into all my reasons why, but I just decided to keep it to myself.

I always knew that when I started dating, I would have to decide when I was serious enough about someone to tell them. It's been 9 months and a lot of bad dates, but I met someone in October and he is incredible. I knew right away he was a keeper, and I pretty much dreaded the "so I've got this thing to tell you" conversation. I don't know if I just thought he would be scared off by the idea of meals always revolving around my restrictions, or that he would think I was a lazy failed dieter who took the easy way out, or if he'd see me as someone who was sick or something. But I finally told him the reason I only have a side of veggies or a cup of Soup or a few bites of my dinner when we go out is that I had most of my stomach removed. And of course, he was relieved. He said he noticed me eating like a bird and worried I might have an eating disorder, because he knew I used to be much heavier a year ago and now I'm not. I explained everything to him and that I really don't have much in the way of things I can't eat except bread and drinking milk which both give me tummy issues, so I avoid bread and I've switched to almond milk in my coffee. But other than that, nothing really is different except the amount of food I can eat. He was very accepting. When we eat out together, he confers with me on his order so we can just split his meal. He gets the veggies instead of fries on the side. He's just been lovely. And the first time I stayed over at his house, I tip-toed downstairs in the morning to find that he had bought some almond milk for me to have in my coffee. :)

I'm so glad I told him and I feel so silly for worrying over what he would think. This was a big step and the first "new" person I've told besides my initial support group of close friends. It was a big deal and I'm very glad it's behind me!

Edited by SassyScienceNerd

Aww he sounds like a real sweetheart! Good for you!

I am so happy for you! He definitely sounds like a keeper! I love this post :)

I told my fiancé about my decision to have the sleeve. We've been together for 3.5 years, and if I cannot open up to him, who am I going to open up to? He's my biggest supporter (even though he's tall and skinny, he will still eat healthy with me) and he's my "food police" when I want to "cheat".

I don't think you should be scared having this discussion. It's how you weed out the good from the bad. You told him, and he supports you! That's a good man right there! Congrats on your relationship with a keeper!

That's so great to hear! I was soooo nervous to tell my hubby about my lap-band back when we were dating and he was fantastic about it too. He's also very supportive of my choice to go to the sleeve. Sounds like you found yourself a great man! :)

Awww this totally warmed my heart! I am still hoping my wife will be a little more supportive... I know she's trying considering that I am changing her life too...