Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for friends

Hi all!

I’m a newcomer to this site and I’m just at the very beginning of WLS, so much at the beginning in fact that I haven’t even spoken to my doctor about it yet as I’m still doing my research.

I’ve posted one or two questions on here but I’ve only gotten 1 reply so far.

I always feel like I never fit in anywhere and I really want to. I’d love to make a group of friends on here that I can chat to and get advice on WLS. There is no one in my life right now who knows I am wanting surgery and I am pretty sure that none of them would be supportive or understanding if they did know.

Many of my family members are set in their ways of thinking surgery is an easy way out and you should be ashamed for having it or wanting it (none of which I agree with). I really would like to be able to freely talk and ask questions with anyone who has gone through it already, wants to go through it or is currently going through it.

I feel like I’m in this alone since I have no one to talk to about it and I’m unsure of where to turn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

I'm just starting out too! You can talk to me any time you'd like!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

You aren’t alone, I am almost three years post op on my sleeve. It is still the best decision of my life and my health. So if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

You’re not alone. I had my surgery 4 months ago. By far the best decision I’ve ever made.

13 hours ago, MissFish said:

Hi all!

I’m a newcomer to this site and I’m just at the very beginning of WLS, so much at the beginning in fact that I haven’t even spoken to my doctor about it yet as I’m still doing my research.

I’ve posted one or two questions on here but I’ve only gotten 1 reply so far.

I always feel like I never fit in anywhere and I really want to. I’d love to make a group of friends on here that I can chat to and get advice on WLS. There is no one in my life right now who knows I am wanting surgery and I am pretty sure that none of them would be supportive or understanding if they did know.

Many of my family members are set in their ways of thinking surgery is an easy way out and you should be ashamed for having it or wanting it (none of which I agree with). I really would like to be able to freely talk and ask questions with anyone who has gone through it already, wants to go through it or is currently going through it.

I feel like I’m in this alone since I have no one to talk to about it and I’m unsure of where to turn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Easy way out!? Pffft. Ain't nothing easy about this. It is a major, forced, and permanent lifestyle change. Let the naysayers say what they want. Bottom line is you and your health are more important than their opinions. Roll with it and let them get purple with jealousy while the new you shines through.

Hey I’m new to the group too!!! I’m having my surgery on Wednesday and super excited about it!! We should chat more!!

Here if you need to me talk

Hi!!! You’re definitely not alone, i’m here. Ask me literally anything on planet earth. I’ll try my best to help.

Also, i totally get how you feel. I didn’t know anyone who had wls before i did either and i didn’t tell my family until the day before because they were not supportive either. I had surgery about 1 yr and a half ago and i couldn’t be happier. Welcome to the group!

I’m jay btw.

I totally know how you feel. I'm brand new to the group and just started my journey--I had my initial meeting with my dietitian and surgeon a couple days ago. I initially told two people I was choosing surgery--my fiance and my best friend who is also on her bariatric surgery journey. I wasn't going to tell my parents or other family at all, for the same reasons you are hesitant. My whole mindset was that I was going to go to family functions as I lost weight, and just say, "Oh, yeah! It's just this new diet I'm trying, " or eventually tell them after I got surgery. Then, when I was at dinner with my dad just after the information session, he brought up that he's noticed that I never eat tons at a time and basically wanted to know why I was so obese. From there, I explained hormones and PCOS and other factors and told him my choice. Surprisingly, he was beyond supportive--he even offered to pay. He broke the news to my mom with my permission and resources to teach her, and she is coming around.

But, at the end of the day, the choice to have surgery is the total opposite of "the easy way out". In my case, I have always been the big kid, have tried almost every diet known to man, have struggled with anorexia/bulimia, tried EVERYTHING to lose weight with no real success. Surgery is not the easy way out; doing nothing is the way out. Let people think what they want. You can educate them, but don't feel like you have to explain yourself. Always remember that this choice is life changing, and it will hopefully be beneficial for all aspects of your life.

Feel free to message me any time, beautiful.