Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Building Muscle

I'm 45 & will be having gastric bypass on 2/5/18. I've started working out, 15 mins cardio & starting on weight machines until I feel comfortable mobbing to free weights, it's been a while since I've been in any kind of athletic shape besides round. I would like to get some muscle growth co compensate for the loose skin I'm going to have especially my arms and chest, I'd hate for my tats to look saggy. I know that I'm gong to be taking a lot of Protein in the form of liquid supplements but I was wondering if Creatine is something to consider since I'm on the older side. If anyone has experience or hints I'd appreciate it.

Never used creatine but knew of guys (non WLS) who did. One has some severe kidney problems (I’m sure he used steroids and all that other stuff too). My advise is to stay away from it. Do some more homework before adding a synthetic material to your body. I thought I would be out of the park with saggy skin, etc, based on my age, starting weight, the fact that I did weights regularly (have to get back at it) , skin color, etc....but skin stretched out for a period of time does not bounce back as well. I have saggy skin, can’t beat it really unless by some miracle or plastics. But do what you can muscle wise, cause your body will thank you for being stronger (and burning fat easier), but please be extra careful of adding all that other “stuff”.

I just started back in the gym. I think I'm going to try creatine once I get my weight training up to speed. Lots of trainers swear by the stuff and it doesn't seem to be dangerous. You should check out the T-nation web site.

As for loose skin -- I already have some (but less than I feared) -- I'm saving up for plastic surgery.

I've been hitting weights 5 days a week since June '17, I stack Pre-Workout, BCAAs, and creatine in my supplement intake. I haven't noticed any issues, I drink tons of Water throughout the day, to counter the dehydration brought on by the caffeine in the Pre-Workout. I talked to my Dr about my stack, before I started it, he gave the green light and I've been rocking since. All creatine does is help with muscle growth and recovery. Some argue creatine will make you retain water, but I'd recommend doing your own research, if you're not sure, and determining if it would work for you. I swear by it though! GL

Thanks for the info, I knew there would be guys out there who would be dong some stacking,.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, FromBiggie2Smallz said:

I've been hitting weights 5 days a week since June '17, I stack Pre-Workout, BCAAs, and creatine in my supplement intake. I haven't noticed any issues, I drink tons of Water throughout the day, to counter the dehydration brought on by the caffeine in the Pre-Workout. I talked to my Dr about my stack, before I started it, he gave the green light and I've been rocking since. All creatine does is help with muscle growth and recovery. Some argue creatine will make you retain Water, but I'd recommend doing your own research, if you're not sure, and determining if it would work for you. I swear by it though! GL

I was wondering, when you stack your BCAA's & Creatine, do you have to ingest them over a period of a couple hours to get it down? After Bypass it would seem hard to get down more than 8oz of liquid at one time. I know that you're supposed to build up your creatine intake and BCAA's you can mix in water and take all day. Just wondering how you schedule everything in including Protein I would imagine.

Thanks for the previous response too.

I was wondering, when you stack your BCAA's & Creatine, do you have to ingest them over a period of a couple hours to get it down? After Bypass it would seem hard to get down more than 8oz of liquid at one time. I know that you're supposed to build up your creatine intake and BCAA's you can mix in Water and take all day. Just wondering how you schedule everything in including Protein I would imagine.
Thanks for the previous response too.

I've not really had an issue with water intake. I have my pre-workout 15 minutes before and then my bccaa/ creatine (20 oz) during my workout. Some days I add my creatine to my Protein Shake, too, if I fail to add it during my workout.

RNY 12/20/16 32YO 5'9" HW- 408 SW- 388 CW- 247 current BMI- 27

Sweat is just fat crying!

Building muscle is not necessarily about what supplements you take but rather about what kind of quality nutrients your body has to build off of from training volume. If you want to experience a boost in creatine phosphate, I would recommend using creatine monohydrate. Start off using 5 grams per day for 4 weeks and then switch to 2 grams a day for the next 3 months. Cycle on and off the powder using 3-4 month intervals. To put on muscle you need to stimulate growth through training volume. Heavy compound lifts like deadlifts, bench press, squats and presses are great for overall stimulation of the muscle fibers. Pick a weight you can do 10 times if you really push yourself and then only do it for 6 reps. Keep going for about 7-9 sets. Resting 2-3 minutes in between. Keep the rest active. All rest must be active. Walk around, shake out the legs and arms. Do this for one compound movement and then add 2-3 accessory exercises that you struggle with and do them for low reps with strict form to help you the next time you perform those movements. Get Strong Brother!

Thanks so much for the information, that’s exactly what I needed.