Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve been a member on here for a while and have read just about everything to get as much info as I can but I think I’m making myself more insane :/. I’ve been so excited about surgery for months, it’s on the 2nd February, and I’m already losing sleep over it I’m so scared. I even keep wondering if I should go through with it or change the day. I’ve never been to hospital before, never had any major sicknesses, so I’m just so terrified of being put to sleep and not waking up after surgery it’s consuming my whole life at the moment. I assume everyone is a little nervous, but was anyone else this scared?

Yeah I was very scared but now that I have done the surgery I know that there was nothing to be afraid of it was so easy . I had my surgery in September 2017 and i have lost 50 pounds and I am no longer diabetic I am so happy

I am due to have mine this month and have had the same thoughts as you! A fact I keep telling myself which helped was that this surgery has less risks than a c-section, and loads of women around the world get that done! We're going to be fine :) xx

Surgery due January 17th 2018

CW 238
GW 133

Instagram: jeez_sleevedlouise

I got really, really scared a couple of days before surgery. The morning of, I was fine while distracted by all of the prep work but once on the table in the operating room I was freaking out and wondering if I was crazy to be doing this and perhaps should get up and walk out.

I still cannot believe I let someone cut me open and take out most of my stomach, but am glad I didn't leave. I am one month post-op, and although there were little hiccups (literally) and frustrations over the past month, I feel like this surgery may help me establish the normal-ish relationship with food that I have always wanted.

It is common to be scared prior to surgery. It is a natural thing.

At your stage, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

I am still pre surg but let me share mine.
1 God would-be,mad with me since I was asking to have,my intestines rerouted.
2. I'm too old for surgery; people will think I'm silly or vain for asking.
Strangely I'm not worried of the surgery , more scared the surgeon will back out instead of me.
4. Running away from the surgical team-nope with 2 artificial knees I couldn't outrun them.
5. I'm a bad girl, I don't deserve surgery, well why don't I? I have fought the different diet wars and my fat cells always won.
You want a different excuse? I was normal sized at,birth 7lb12oz but, my mother's,doctor ordered her to feed,me an 8oz bottle of Carnation milk after each,nursing. At 1 year I was 35 inches tall and weighed 36 pounds. Even when I was normal sized I felt fluffy not firmed,fleshed. I was a non winner in the weight wars but now I will,have,a tool,to,helpwith the healthy commitment and changes. I plan to live out my 70s and,onward. Like Reba McEntire's song. I'm a Survivor. I look forward to surgery , I trust my future surgery team to put me asleep smoothly and wake,me up gently to start my new better life. Join me on this journey,please?

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes! I’m terrified too. I’m on January 17, and I’ve given myself a full blown anxiety disorder because of my fear of doing it. But I know it has to be done if I want to live a long and healthy life. I’ve read numerous research studies about anaesthesia and it’s safety and it is very safe. I’m not too scared about that part of it, it’s more about the unknowns. Like, what will my new stomach be like? What can I tolerate, food and Fluid wise? Will I have any serious complications etc etc. I think it’s extremely normal to feel scared and anxious, and second guess our decisions.
If you’re really struggling, there’s no harm in considering pushing your date back and perhaps seeking some counsel from your surgeon or a therapist.
I have not read about a single person regretting their decision for WLS and I think that’s what’s keeping me going. Even despite some people having a tougher time than others, they still say they don’t regret surgery.
Try to focus on all the ways the surgery will help you, but also acknowledge your fears. This too shall pass! All the best on your journey :)

I was the same way.
OH BUT HOW HAPPY I AM NOW!!!!
I am 9 months post op.
BEST thing I have ever done.
I am healthier now than ever before.
No pain in my knees. I walk better than before.
So don't fear; it will be alright!!
It is a change but for the better.

Sent from my D6708 using BariatricPal mobile app

Look at statistics.

Bariatric surgery is as safe as gall bladder surgery these days.

Now look at statistics about cancer, heart disease, diabetes....and how many years being very obese can take off your life.

Statistically...you should be MUCH more afraid of NOT having the surgery....than having it.

Fearing anesthetic in 2018 is kinda silly. There are SO many precautions taken. In my career I've seen literally thousands of surgeries. Geriatric surgeries. Pediatric surgeries. Trauma surgeries. Some extremely sick and fragile cases.

I have never seen an anesthetic death in 15 years.

Not saying a freak occurrence isn't possible....but it's like worrying about being hit by lightning.

Obesity related heart attacks and strokes on the other hand....

It'll be ok. Go visit a hospital and try to desensitize yourself a little. They're not such bad places:)

I too have been in a big panic, and I've had multiple surgeries including a lap band 10.5 years ago, but was still in an absolute panic over this. I have been doubting my decision and myself, then had a nice chat with one of the nurses in my doctor's office who helped alleviate some of my fears. And then I saw a picture of myself from the other day and that was all the motivation I needed to move forward and power through until surgery. I am tired of not feeling comfortable in my skin and beating myself up for not being able to lose weight and keep it off. I am ready to make changes and ready to finally face this demon head on. I deserve it - and so do you! xo

I'm different then most people in the fact that I wasn't nervous at all. I kind of just ignored the bad outcomes. Which is probably not the best idea but it went by so fast. You go in, and literally wake up in recovery! Don't sweat it! You got it

I am due to have mine this month and have had the same thoughts as you! A fact I keep telling myself which helped was that this surgery has less risks than a c-section, and loads of women around the world get that done! We're going to be fine xx

Surgery due January 17th 2018

CW 238
GW 133

Instagram: jeez_sleevedlouise

Wow thank you, I didn’t know a c section had more risks this helps a lot.... do you mind if I follow you on instagram? I’d love to follow your progress, we are only a couple of weeks apart.

Look at statistics.
Bariatric surgery is as safe as gall bladder surgery these days.
Now look at statistics about cancer, heart disease, diabetes....and how many years being very obese can take off your life.
Statistically...you should be MUCH more afraid of NOT having the surgery....than having it.
Fearing anesthetic in 2018 is kinda silly. There are SO many precautions taken. In my career I've seen literally thousands of surgeries. Geriatric surgeries. Pediatric surgeries. Trauma surgeries. Some extremely sick and fragile cases.
I have never seen an anesthetic death in 15 years.
Not saying a freak occurrence isn't possible....but it's like worrying about being hit by lightning.
Obesity related heart attacks and strokes on the other hand....

It'll be ok. Go visit a hospital and try to desensitize yourself a little. They're not such bad places:)

This makes me feel a lot better about surgery.

Thank you so much everyone that replied, I have to keep remembering why I chose to do this in the first place. So glad I joined this group :)

I’m one month post-op.

I was soooo freaking terrified. I mean, I was terrified of being put under for my wisdom teeth too. I know another poster said it’s kind of “silly” to be scared of that, but I disagree. I know she means moreso that there’s nothing really to be afraid of because it’s relatively safe and 100000x safer than remaining overweight. But there’s still something terrifying of being put under, aware you’re having an operation done beforehand, and not knowing if you’ll be waking up afterward.

I have a 4 year old and my husband/her dad past away earlier this year (not from anything health related, he was mil and incredibly fit). I was so freaking scared I’d be electing this surgery to try and get healthier for her/us, but then end up leaving her completely parentless! I told all of my friends and family what I wanted done if something were to happen to me, wrote a letter to her, made a video the night before. Pretty much cried and I was wheeled off.

I really get it. I was freaking terrified. The only thing that helped me proceed was just going through the statistics over and over and over. It IS safer than so many other procedures that no one seems to blink an eye over. Being overweight IS deadly. And how much I owed it to my daughter, and myself, to do what I could to have a longer healthier life for us both.

Idk if that’s helpful at all. I just wanted to reach out from another person who was incredibly scared but made it through.

5’6”
25 yo
SW: 256
CW: 236.9

*12/04/2017*

Being scared is natural and healthy. This is major surgery. However it truly is safer than many other common things, as you said. As long as you've done your research and trust your surgeon, you'll be fine. Remember they all want you to succeed too.