Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medication and Slow Weight Loss

Does anyone know of specific meds that can slow down weight loss after a sleeve? I'm wondering mostly about psych meds.

Probably most of the SSRIs and antidepressants/mood stabilizers. That being said, I NEED to be on something, so I will have to deal with that aspect.

Probably most of the SSRIs and antidepressants/mood stabilizers. That being said, I NEED to be on something, so I will have to deal with that aspect.

Some are worse then others. My psych changed mine to find the best non weight gaining meds.

26 minutes ago, BigAussieGirl said:

Some are worse then others. My psych changed mine to find the best non weight gaining meds.

I just wish I knew which ones so I could approach my psych about them.

11 minutes ago, KCRN said:

I think your mileage will vary here. It's trial and error. Paxil is known for it, yet I know someone who has been on it for years and never gained anything. Effexor is supposed to be "weight neutral" yet my sister gained 25+ while taking it. Being on psych meds may mean I lose less or more slowly, but weight loss is no good if I'm so anxious and depressed that I can't enjoy the journey and my achievements :-)

I do not know what meds you are on. I know for me, they had to take out the extended release ones. The Welbutrin XR 450. I had been on 4 years. It was wonderful. They had to take it away and give me regular Welbutrin. Not as effective and am up to 400 mg.
I also take seroquel. This drug they say makes you gain weight. I have not had that issue. But maybe because mine is used for sleep? So when I am well rested and have energy, I am being active.
Talk to your doctor. I know i do not do well on SSRIs, and they are known for weight gain. If you would like to pm me what you take I would be willing to do some research for you. Good Luck!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 228 (12/29/17)
RGW 199
GW 175

Wellbutrin/bupropion is kinda like legal speed. If anything, that particular one will help you lose weight, not gain.

SSRIs are notorious for weight gain, but are sometimes necessary.

Just talk frankly with your psych...see what he/she can come up with to help. Also, talk to your bariatric surgeon...they've had some experience with this as well.

OP, my Psych changed my meds when I questioned if my meds were contributing to me not being able to lose weight.

My anti-psychotic was changed from Quetiapine (which apparently is VERY weight gaining) to Asenapine (which isn't weight gaining).

My SSRI was changed to Fluoxetine. My Psych said that Fluoxetine can aid in weight loss in some people,

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you. I noticed your in the USA - I have no idea if you have the same medications or any idea how your health system works :) I just wanted to tell you about my personal experiences. Of course everyones Doctor has a different opinion and everyone is going to react differently to medication, so it might take a bit of trial and error which can be frustrating.

Best wishes in finding the right combination for you :)

On 1/1/2018 at 5:39 AM, KCRN said:

Wellbutrin. It works awesome for me and I actually lost weight on it when I first started it. I have always had to be on something and the SSRIs always made me gain.......

13 months post op here and down 118 lbs since day of surgery.

My psychiatrist did not change any of my meds, have been on the same ones for the last 8 years for bipolar. I gained a ton of weight the first few years after I started meds for bipolar, one of those was Seroquel.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the meds I'm currently on are known to cause weight gain.

Anyway, the meds I'm currently taking:

Risperidone, Celexa, Epitol and Klonopin.