Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry if you didn’t understand my post - but I wasn’t asking for your pant size - I’m not sure if you want an award. This was about people that have slipped up at times, how they dealt with it and kept going - which you have done also, but I guess it’s ok when you do it, just not anyone else. I was 4 weeks and nothing I ate was not allowed for safety reasons, it just wasn’t as healthy as I should be eating. Everyone has weak moments, there are hundreds of posts just like it, only as soon as I post anything it draws all of the vets to come on and start scolding me. Don’t bother if it’s not going to be constructive. There are plenty of people that came on, understood the post and offered constructive responses, but again I have to close this thread because of the few that take it as an opportunity to come on and act as though they are perfect and everyone else should be - which is completely unhelpful!

Sleeved: 2/12/2017

SW: 209lbs/95kgs

Well my response wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the person who asked the question about what changed.

She asked a question and I answered.

I have all the awards I need, and they don't have anything to do with what anyone posts on a message board.

Good luck to all.

Well my response wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the person who asked the question about what changed.

She asked a question and I answered.

I have all the awards I need, and they don't have anything to do with what anyone posts on a message board.

Good luck to all.

Thanks Jess, and thank you for clarifying.

I think this is a brilliant illustration of two different schools of thought and two very different approaches....that might be at the root of this conflict.
In my mind...unless I achieve moderation....food is still in control.
I need to be able to have a bite and walk away....or food has won....and is still out there waiting for me to screw up.
For me...being in control of moderation...is the only way to win the war.
Interesting, no?

Sorry if my post is redundant. I skipped over a lot of content in the thread. I just had to chime in to say that you totally blew my mind with this post. “Unless I achieve moderation food is still in control.” You have completely boiled down my entire struggle with food. I am always feast or famine (pun intended). I completely agree with you but I am very scared to dip my toes into the world of moderation. I have stuck so close to my plan for the past six months for fear of going off the rails. The mental aspect of this process is by far the most difficult part!

I would love it if the people who cheated early would check back in 6 months from now. I would love to know if they won the war against their bad habits. That way we could have some advice from their perspective... To cheat or not to cheat.

1 hour ago, Redo2017 said:

Sorry if my post is redundant. I skipped over a lot of content in the thread. I just had to chime in to say that you totally blew my mind with this post. “Unless I achieve moderation food is still in control.” You have completely boiled down my entire struggle with food. I am always feast or famine (pun intended). I completely agree with you but I am very scared to dip my toes into the world of moderation. I have stuck so close to my plan for the past six months for fear of going off the rails. The mental aspect of this process is by far the most difficult part!

This is exactly why diets like Keto and Atkins don't work in the long term - it's also why so many of us have (likely) been yo-yo-ing up and down in weight our whole lives. Most people just can't quit bad foods cold turkey.

Kudos to those with changed gut bacteria or other chemical changes since surgery that can, but the VAST majority of us can't.

What most people need here is empathy (as mentioned by creekimp) - encouragement that falling off the wagon for a meal or a day doesn't ruin anything - a helping hand to get back on track and keep up good work.

As for the direction this whole thread took - first of all, the OP and original post mentioned pizza, and didn't say anything about puking it up. I don't know about you all, but I've specifically spoken at length to my surgeon about eating foods out of order or a bit ahead of schedule on the plan - his comment was, after 7-10 days, as long as you don't puke, nothing you put in your mouth (food wise, I'm sure he didn't mean nuts and bolts and ****) is going to tear/rip/create a leak in your staple line. Even if you puke, it's rare, but possible to create a leak. Based on that, I don't think anyone here should be jumping on people and claim it's a medical thing.

I think all of us are scared that if we eat too much, eat the wrong thing, gain a pound one week, we're suddenly fucked and we've ruined our surgery.

What we need is a community that supports people that post about stuff like this with encouraging words and helpful tips on how to get back on track.

NOT pious posts like those from jess9395 and Kate. Seahawks dude should at least wait until he's post op to post opinions or criticisms, even then, see my comments on pious posts...

Chill out, grow up, and be nice - try to legitimately help people. It really shouldn't be this hard.

1 minute ago, Tealael said:

I would love it if the people who cheated early would check back in 6 months from now. I would love to know if they won the war against their bad habits. That way we could have some advice from their perspective... To cheat or not to cheat.

I'd suspect that almost all wls patients cheat in some way along the way, especially early in the process as you're learning to eat again, balancing your nutrients, etc. There's also a pretty high success rate for this surgery, so there's a clearly a way to balance some cheating with longer term success.

I really feel sorry for the vets like Kate and Jess who (claim) to be perfect carbless eaters or whatever - as others have said, food is a joy, and the ultimate win is to get close to a goal weight but still have that nice tasting menu destination dinner with your significant other, or maybe have that slice of bday cake with your kid. Find a balance and love your life, and help others do the same. How miserable would it be to both constantly adhere to a super restrictive diet of no go foods - I guess we've seen that it makes some people so miserable they want to shame others to make themselves feel bitter, um I mean better...

3 minutes ago, YummyMummy303 said:

Well, I can say that despite my slip ups, I’ve still lost 20lbs in a month - I workout a lot though.

I wouldn’t suggest cheating, but if you do, it isn’t the end of the world and don’t get shamed by asshats on here because that won’t help you get back on track tomorrow.

Keep in mind that a exercise is a VERY small % of overall calorie burn for the day - as such, whatever you're doing with your diet is contributing to almost all of your weight loss. Feel good about yourself for that - it's a win!

Check this out for some interesting tidbits on the impact of exercise on weight loss: https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

I've gone off plan and plan to again because I never planned to give up the foods I ate prior to surgery (pure maple , honey, spirulina, cacao, chia, flax, butter, etc. ) although they were never on any plan I saw...

Keep in mind that a exercise is a VERY small % of overall calorie burn for the day - as such, whatever you're doing with your diet is contributing to almost all of your weight loss. Feel good about yourself for that - it's a win!
Check this out for some interesting tidbits on the impact of exercise on weight loss: https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

Thanks Timarland - both your comments are on point!

Really well said! Xx

2 minutes ago, Tealael said:

I've gone off plan and plan to again because I never planned to give up the foods I ate prior to surgery (pure maple , honey, spirulina, cacao, chia, flax, butter, etc. ) although they were never on any plan I saw...

THIS.

I was sitting in the mandatory pre-op nutrition class - my surgeon partners with a local hospital bariatric program to deliver them - LOVE my surgeon, but this group is awful.

One of their post op recommendations: once you can start tolerating solid food and if you want to eat bread and rice, be absolutely SURE to stick to white rice and white bread - NOTHING with Fiber - we want your digestive tract to be very 'calm' as you continue to heal.

WTF? That's the WORST **** you can put in your body, and I don't believe for a second that your digestive tract needs to heal so much (especially at 4+ weeks) that you should avoid healthy, whole, unprocessed foods.

I became a fat ass by making conscious choices to eat wrong - NOT because I'm a f**king moron that can't recognize what good foods are.

Sorry for the rant, those people just made me mad.

10 minutes ago, timarland said:

THIS.

I was sitting in the mandatory pre-op nutrition class - my surgeon partners with a local hospital bariatric program to deliver them - LOVE my surgeon, but this group is awful.

One of their post op recommendations: once you can start tolerating solid food and if you want to eat bread and rice, be absolutely SURE to stick to white rice and white bread - NOTHING with Fiber - we want your digestive tract to be very 'calm' as you continue to heal.

WTF? That's the WORST **** you can put in your body, and I don't believe for a second that your digestive tract needs to heal so much (especially at 4+ weeks) that you should avoid healthy, whole, unprocessed foods.

I became a fat ass by making conscious choices to eat wrong - NOT because I'm a f**king moron that can't recognize what good foods are.

Sorry for the rant, those people just made me mad.

My surgeon has me avoiding grains breads Pasta etc until 6 months post op and then it must be whole grain for the fiber content , but I'm happily giving them up for a good 8 months if not more -just not interested anymore . I tried quinoa once but the Protein count wasn't worth justifing eating it, when I could just have some cheese.

Also how did this thread get so judgey and mean so quick? I went from page 1-9 skipping the middles and I was like WTF!?! …

Edited by Tealael

My surgeon has me avoiding grains breads Pasta etc until 6 months post op and then it must be whole grain for the Fiber content , but I'm happily giving them up for a good 8 months if not more -just not interested anymore . I tried quinoa once but the Protein count wasn't worth justifing eating it, when I could just have some cheese.
Also how did this thread get so judgey and mean so quick? I went from page 1-9 skipping the middles and I was like WTF!?! …

Ahh don’t ask - either people are understanding that we’re all going through a lot, or they’re just here to act perfect and slam anyone that’s honest about their struggles. It’s so interesting what you and timar are saying is on plan. Nothing you’ve listed is really bad for you. I mostly eat healthy, but surgery has helped me a lot with hunger most the time, and what I chose, but also quantity. I can’t even eat a small can of tuna for dinner right now.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:42 AM, Wendyfm said:

I’m three years out and this time of year is difficult, so I go with it. I eat things that I don’t normally eat and then when it’s over I go back to my normal eating habits. I’ve kept 100 pounds off for three years, so it seems to work for me. Don’t beat yourselves up for getting off the wagon, it’s not a short journey it’s life long changes.

Wow! 100 pounds for 3 years. That’s the exact kind of encouraging success people need to hear about. That’s awesome. Congratulations!

It is common to do a little experimentation after surgery. That is how we learn. Some people can tolerate anything after surgery while others have problems and can tolerate very little. Weight loss is achieved during the short weight loss phase through meal volume control. The two operative words here are short and volume. So if you want to maximize your weight loss during this phase, you need to adhere to the program guidelines. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery and slid into the maintenance phase at 7 months. Sleeve patients lose weight at a much slower rate but can achieve almost the same degree of weight loss. Many do not transition into the maintenance phase until a couple years post-op.

In general, there are two phases to weight loss. These are the weight loss phase and the maintenance phase. But there is another phase beyond the maintenance phase. This can occur around year 4. In this third phase the body becomes more efficient. Even if you follow a very regimented routine for diet, where your weight was very stable for a year, suddenly the weight begins to come back. If you are not very, very careful in this third phase, one might see major weight gain.