Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can drink liquids with little to no restriction? 5 days post op

Hello everyone!

I am 5 days post op and losing an average of 2 lbs per day! So excited for this but I am a bit nervous because I've been having no trouble with restriction in regards to my Water. I don't feel the liquids make me full, it's just I have no hunger whatsoever(except mental, but I know eating can seriously hurt me so luckily the mental hunger has been minimal.) I'm nervous that this means my sleeve is not going to work properly? One of my biggest issues was sugary drinks and soda(my first true love), which I've completely given up and do not plan on going back to EVER. However, I'm worried about eventually drinking coffee again and ultimately that if the liquids don't make me feel full then maybe my sleeve is not small enough. Does anyone else have this problem? Shouldn't my stomach feel full after drinking my fluids/broth?

Fluids don't cause restriction in many people...they remain in the sleeved stomach for a few brief minutes before entering the small intestine via the pyloric valve. This is normal.

You, in all likelihood, won't feel restriction until you start eating real food such as hard Protein (e.g. chicken breast, beef, pork) and fibrous veggies (e.g. broccoli, squash).

Slider foods such as chips, popcorn and crackers don't even trigger restriction. That's why they're known as 'sliders.' These foods slide like a slurry.

Edited by Introversion

9 minutes ago, Introversion said:

Fluids don't cause restriction in many people...they remain in the sleeved stomach for a few brief minutes before entering the small intestine via the pyloric valve. This is normal.

You, in all likelihood, won't feel restriction until you start eating real food such as hard Protein (e.g. chicken breast, beef, pork) and fibrous veggies (e.g. broccoli, squash).

Slider foods such as chips, popcorn and crackers don't even trigger restriction. That's why they're known as 'sliders.' These foods slide like a slurry.

Thank you so much, this was really helpful!

Totally agree! I'm a month post op and had the same concerns at first. I never felt restricted on liquids, and when I graduated to puree/soft solids last week I still didn't feel that "full" feeling.

I started "normal" foods yesterday and dense Proteins ABSOLUTELY fill me after a few bites and keep me satisfied for hours. It's a whole new world when you get to normal textures! Hang in there.