Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Regain After Gastric Sleeve

27 minutes ago, chrys129 said:

I've returned to BP due to regain as well. I need to get refocused. I'm a little over 2 years our and 2017 kicked my butt. It's entirely my own fault. I was heartbroken by a betrayal and also started a new job and went back to old bad habits of using food for comfort. Stopped running. Drank a lot of alcohol. Sigh

I gained back 50 of the 115 that I lost. I'm starting new with Protein goals and 64oz Water daily. Getting my arse moving again. Etc. But it was a learning experience, a scary one, to see how easily I could screw up my own health even with the surgery.

Over two years out and everything I eat still hurts: meat, cheese, veggies. Potatoes, Pasta, and bread are the most painful for me. It's probably a blessing,even if it's a total bummer sometimes.

My regain was a lot of liquid calories and learning to graze throughout the day. Lack of exercise. Bad food choices (when it ALL hurts, it isn't very motivating to avoid certain foods) A combination of a lot of things. But my restriction is still there. I eat like a toddler. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

We're two peas in a pod. Starting fresh today. Yesterday was a transition day. Healthy meals, but wine and dessert. Today, I am tracking my food and Water via MyFitnessPal (DLovelyL) and will also be rejoining my gym.

Good morning,

i was just curious, did drinking alcohol effect you any different than before the WLS? I was told that we wouldn't be able to tolerate drinking the least amount and that one small dip would put us over the edge quickly. What was your experience and do you drink?

Sorry for the typos. I hit send to fast.

I regained due to eating crap... reverted to bad habits and mostly StarBucks Frappacinos. I graze a lot. When I eat chicken, it does fill me up...

2 hours ago, Dimples58 said:

Good morning,

i was just curious, did drinking alcohol effect you any different than before the WLS? I was told that we wouldn't be able to tolerate drinking the least amount and that one small dip would put us over the edge quickly. What was your experience and do you drink?

Hey Dimples58,

Soooooooo.....drinking after wls is truly different for every person. I was also advised by my medical crew that I would not be able to tolerate much alcohol, BUT this was not true for me. I can drink a sailor under the table. Lol! This is not good though because it's a lot of calories and causes weight gain. My first attempt was a shot of whiskey about 6 months post op and I felt nothing. The only time I feel it quickly is if I don't eat first.

39 minutes ago, Ms skinniness said:

I regained due to eating crap... reverted to bad habits and mostly StarBucks Frappacinos. I graze a lot. When I eat chicken, it does fill me up...

OMG, I cannot tolerate Fraps. I tried, but no bueno. It triggers dumping for me. chicken definitely fills me up as well. I just had a very small salad with chicken and it's been taking quite some time for me to get through it.

Good morning,

Drinking for me was interesting. I didn't touch alcohol until over six months out. And all it takes is a single glass of wine or a shot or two and I feel it pretty fast. It also wears off very fast for me though (not a great combo btw). I think everyone is unique in how they handle alcohol post op. My advice, especially now that I went down that rabbit hole... Just don't go there at all. It's not worth it.

Like some people can eat ice cream or milkshakes/Fraps. These are the rare items that I've had dumping with. I won't go near them now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey ya'll,

So I was terrified to get on the scale because I was afraid that I would no longer be in Onderland, but I am happy to say that I caught it just in the nick of time. I weight in yesterday at 199.7!!!! Talk about mixed emotions! I was so happy that I was not over 200lbs, but also disappointed about the 35.7 lbs weight gain. It's just what I needed though to lite a fire under my butt to lose the weight back off. I refuse to get ay bigger. Anywhoo, just thought I would share. :-)

Thank you so much for starting posting this topic - I am in a similar place. I'm close to two and a half years out from my surgery and have regained 20 pounds in the last 6 months of 2017. I was down to 172 pounds and closing in on my goal of 165. I am completely at fault - I started a grad nursing program and allowed/used the stress of that as an excuse for eating more than I should as well as foods that I should not eat. I also stopped drinking enough Water, tracking my food, going to my support group and overall focusing on my progress. I did keep up the gym but as we all know, the food part is most important.

Anyway, I've been working to reincorporate all the things I learned and did before for success - good food choices, tracking, water, sleep, gym etc. Good luck and I hope to check in and see us both making progress! I know we can do it!

I am also part of the regain club. I have gained 32 pounds over the past 7 months. It’s the most annoying thing but entirely my own problem. It all started when I began grazing throughout the day, which my surgeon told me would cause weight gain. I started eating carbs with no restraint. I began drinking sodas daily after 3 years of drinking them like 1 time a month. I started using straws and starting eating whatever I wanted.

I have started the 5 day pouch reset diet and have lost 4 pounds so far due to the liquids only phase. Hoping that after these next few days I will have better restraint and I WILL be watching what I am eating- Protein first, veggies second and carbs third. No more sodas daily! Back in the gym at least 3 times a week. I know we can get the weight back off, we know exactly what it takes.

I am also part of the regain club. I have gained 32 pounds over the past 7 months. It’s the most annoying thing but entirely my own problem. It all started when I began grazing throughout the day, which my surgeon told me would cause weight gain. I started eating carbs with no restraint. I began drinking sodas daily after 3 years of drinking them like 1 time a month. I started using straws and starting eating whatever I wanted.

I have started the 5 day pouch reset diet and have lost 4 pounds so far due to the liquids only phase. Hoping that after these next few days I will have better restraint and I WILL be watching what I am eating- Protein first, veggies second and carbs third. No more sodas daily! Back in the gym at least 3 times a week. I know we can get the weight back off, we know exactly what it takes.

I’m in the same boat I’m 2 years out in March and I’ve regained exactly how much I’m to scared to look lately but it was 5kgs a few months back drinking alcohol has been the biggest issue as I get drunk fast but I use to never drink prior to surgery now I do every night except the last week I’ve stopped
I can also eat bread and chocolate and lollies I was sleeved and wish I had chosen RNY so I’d atleast get dumping and not continue to eat bad things
I snack all the time and don’t exercise I’m miserable I
Was self pay and cannot believe I’m having these issues now I was so good in the beginning so strict
Please let me k ow how your going with your weight loss

Also, if you don’t mind me asking. Would you describe if you ever were scared you stretched your sleeve? If so, what would you do? And what kinds of things would you eat that weren’t good/how much etc.?

I’m doing a 10 day pouch reset (google it). It’s basically like post-surgery but only 1-2 days for each stage. So far I feel great on day three and have lost 3 lbs. For me it’s about resetting my mind.

15 hours ago, sleevedinseptember said:

Thank you so much for starting posting this topic - I am in a similar place. I'm close to two and a half years out from my surgery and have regained 20 pounds in the last 6 months of 2017. I was down to 172 pounds and closing in on my goal of 165. I am completely at fault - I started a grad nursing program and allowed/used the stress of that as an excuse for eating more than I should as well as foods that I should not eat. I also stopped drinking enough Water, tracking my food, going to my support group and overall focusing on my progress. I did keep up the gym but as we all know, the food part is most important.

Anyway, I've been working to reincorporate all the things I learned and did before for success - good food choices, tracking, Water, sleep, gym etc. Good luck and I hope to check in and see us both making progress! I know we can do it!

Wow, I knew that I wasn't the only one struggling with regain, but it sure feels good to actually see and hear from others in the same situation. I am even more excited to lose the weight back off now that we can all do it together! :-)

Edited by DLovelySleeve

14 hours ago, bjcarver said:

You're so right!!!! We know exactly what it takes. It's just a matter of doing it. I will say that it is not easy though. I reciognize that I have definitely started some really bad habits and have triggered some of my food addictions. Last night I found it so hard for me to resist grabbing fast food on the way home. Smh... I won that battle thought. Yay!!!