Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you dump or get nauseated when eating fruit or whole grains?

The more I've been learning about fruit the more I want to make it a part of pretty much every meal, as well as having regular servings of whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc. I'm having gastric bypass so there's a greater risk of dumping syndrome. I'm wondering if these healthy but carb-y foods also cause dumping, or if it's mostly just refined sugars and high-fat foods. I'm particularly interested in your particular experiences rather than what we might assume should/shouldn't cause dumping. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

With the possibly important caveat that I had a gastric sleeve procedure, I have had no issues at all with anything I've eaten, really. I do eat some carbs (usually accompanied by some guilt) but I very much enjoy fruit--sometimes a banana, yesterday a few blueberries, and often an apple (usually with peanut butter).

I had gastric bypass in the beginning of August. By mid-October I was able to eat oatmeal and fruit BUT I had to start very slowly. Even now I can't eat much more than a half a cup of anything at any given time. No dumping, but sometimes nausea and discomfort that passes in about a half hour. I started fruit with applesauce and canned peaches and moved on from there. The thing is to try little bits, and then if something doesn't work once, wait a couple of weeks and it might be fine the next time.

Nope, that just happens if I eat too much junk or fatty foods. I'll either get nausea really bad or my stomach will send it back up. I've had rice and only got sick from it once after that I tolerated it okay.

Oatmeal was fine.
Quinoa was fine.
I eat whole wheat bread but it's always as toast. That's fine too.

I eat pineapples in small quantities
Same with oranges

I even had Couscous a little while ago and handled that okay. Different people can tolerate different things. There's some people that can still eat fatty things... Not sure why they would but they can.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-146
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

No problems with fruit and grains for me, although I could incorporate more fruits in my diet...when you start adding foods, go slowly, see what your stomach will handle, but in my experience of dumping (early in in my sleeve) was due to swallowing/chewing my Vitamin way too fast and having something a bit too sweet for my comfort.