Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and Anxiety Post-Op

I have suffered from anxiety/depression/PTSD for the majority of my adult life. I am on Celexa 40mg and Xanax as needed for anxiety at bedtime.

Recently (in the last year) I’ve worked very hard on my mental health issues: developing new coping mechanisms, upping my visits to my therapist, etc because I knew I wanted this surgery and I wanted to make sure I was in the best mind frame.

The psych consult could have gone better and my second visit with her was when she informed me she would only conditionally approve me for surgery due to my anxiety and depression. This of course made my anxiety and depression worse, but I soldiered on, saw my therapist more often (the psych was NOT the best person and she made me uncomfortable so I refused to continue seeing her), but that’s another story all together. I received my clearance from the psych and the doctor, nutritionist, and physiologist two weeks ago and now I’m scheduled for next month.

I say all of that to ask this: how many of you that have had the sleeve had pre-existing mental health issues, specifically anxiety and depression, and did the symptoms lessen and/or were you able to dose down on your psych meds at some point after surgery??

While I realize that my mental health issues have little to do with my weight as it is a legitimate chemical imbalance, I do hope for some improvement and for the possibility to go down to a lower dose of Celexa (which btw, is known to cause weight gain) since I’m on the highest dose.

Any experiences you guys are willing to share would be super helpful!!

HW & CW: 251

GW: 145

Height: 5’3

Hi, I have bipolar and severe anxiety. Like you, I have worked really hard on my mental health over the last couple of years to get into a good head space. My mental health is now pretty stable and I'm working and have good relationships with my family and generally happy and stable for the most part.

A lot of the psych med's I've been on for the last 20 odd years cause weight gain, which is part of the reason that I was over weight.

Four months ago I had the VSG, I maintained a close relationship with my psychiatrist up to the surgery and post op. The sleeve has had zero impact on my mental health, my medication hasn't changed at all, although in saying that it is pretty standard if you have bipolar that you will be on medication for life.

I'm sorry I can't tell you that it has improved, but I'm glad that it has had zero impact, I did have some concerns my mental health could get worse due to the stress of surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and mental health.

Congrats on getting your surgery date! That entire fiasco to get approved was very stressful for me. I too have ptsd, anxiety and depression. I haven't been able to reduce my psych meds but I was definitely in a much much better place after the first month when I was losing so much weight - mentally I hadn't been that good in years.

At 4 mths post op my hair started to fall out - but a lot more than I anticipated - so the thought that I might end up bald kind of took me down a few pegs but I was still handling it without having to increase my meds.

The thing that sent me back to seeing a therapist regularly was the sudden death of my future daughter in law 9 mths after my surgery - I hadn't realized how much she motivated me on a regular basis.

But the surgery was the best thing for me mentally. That doesn't mean it's without its challenges but I would definitely have the surgery again if I had to do it all over again only I wouldn't have waited so long.

Good luck and God bless you along your journey!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, I have bipolar and severe anxiety. Like you, I have worked really hard on my mental health over the last couple of years to get into a good head space. My mental health is now pretty stable and I'm working and have good relationships with my family and generally happy and stable for the most part.
A lot of the psych med's I've been on for the last 20 odd years cause weight gain, which is part of the reason that I was over weight.
Four months ago I had the VSG, I maintained a close relationship with my psychiatrist up to the surgery and post op. The sleeve has had zero impact on my mental health, my medication hasn't changed at all, although in saying that it is pretty standard if you have bipolar that you will be on medication for life.
I'm sorry I can't tell you that it has improved, but I'm glad that it has had zero impact, I did have some concerns my mental health could get worse due to the stress of surgery.
Good luck with your surgery and mental health.

I’ll take no change over it getting worse! Thank you for sharing :)

Congrats on getting your surgery date! That entire fiasco to get approved was very stressful for me. I too have ptsd, anxiety and depression. I haven't been able to reduce my psych meds but I was definitely in a much much better place after the first month when I was losing so much weight - mentally I hadn't been that good in years.

At 4 mths post op my hair started to fall out - but a lot more than I anticipated - so the thought that I might end up bald kind of took me down a few pegs but I was still handling it without having to increase my meds.

The thing that sent me back to seeing a therapist regularly was the sudden death of my future daughter in law 9 mths after my surgery - I hadn't realized how much she motivated me on a regular basis.

But the surgery was the best thing for me mentally. That doesn't mean it's without its challenges but I would definitely have the surgery again if I had to do it all over again only I wouldn't have waited so long.

Good luck and God bless you along your journey!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for sharing and for your kind words. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine how difficult that was for you. I hope that your therapist is helping you through this hard time

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you cope with the Hair loss? I’ve seen people discuss it on here but I haven’t really given much thought to it, to be honest. And now I am, lol...anxiety is fun, right?! I already have thin, super blond hair so I imagine if a lot falls out people will be able to tell! Was there anything you could do to help the situation?

Just now, hdbuttahz said:

Thank you so much for sharing and for your kind words. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine how difficult that was for you. I hope that your therapist is helping you through this hard time

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you cope with the Hair loss? I’ve seen people discuss it on here but I haven’t really given much thought to it, to be honest. And now I am, lol...anxiety is fun, right?! I already have thin, super blond hair so I imagine if a lot falls out people will be able to tell! Was there anything you could do to help the situation?

LOL Life would be boring if it wasn't for my anxiety! I have found a great therapist who has really been a life saver. I feel very blessed. When my hair started falling out I followed the suggestions from a lot of folks on here and started to take Biotin (not sure if it helped but it made me feel better that I was doing SOMETHING lol) and I tried different ways to do my hair to help it look like it wasn't so thin. I used headbands but I couldn't use a barrette to put the hair on the top of my hair back like I used to because my hair ended up being too thin and the barrette would just clip off. I put my hair in ponytails a lot too. Fortunately for me, it was summer so my neck and ears didn't freeze and it should be warm for you as well. I had my surgery Feb 2016.

BariMelts and EZ Melts are amazing products.

Here's the biotin I take (I took 2/day in the beginning and during the "fall out" time and while it was growing back. For maintenance, I take 1/day): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKO1OMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for posting this. I also have ptsd, anxiety and depression. I wanted to know the answers too but didn't want to make the post. Much respect xxx

Surgery due January 17th 2018

CW 238
GW 133

Instagram: jeez_sleevedlouise

I have bipolar disorder and severe anxiety. While I'm too new post-surgery to give you advice, I will share one thing that my psychiatrist told me. She said that a lot of the cases that she sees where people have changes in moods, increased anxiety, depression, etc. are nutritionally based. She gave me suggestions of important vitamins/minerals and I combined this with what my surgeon suggested. I make sure and take everything everyday, along with my regular medication. So hopefully I won't have any problems. Something to try for you!

Good luck to you!!

I wonder what % of bariatric patients suffer from anxiety, Depression And/Or Rage after surgery? 10,20 ,33 ,45, 50 or 75% of all of them? Does Age make any difference, or gender, or even sexual orientation. Is it irrespective of marital status?
I am happy, looking forward to My surgery,anxious to start my new post- surgery life. What are the chances everything is going to change for me?

Bringing this out to make a statement! I DO NOT HAVE POST-SURGERY DEPRESSION. Yes I conceed it Can Happen! But Baby it hasn't and I suspect it never will!
You see I had my sorrows and depressions early, when I was told I was unworthy, too old, couldn't make a success of things, many of them the inward blueness of my own depression but also outside stressors. And afterward such a sense of accomplishment, a self- validation, I am Good Enough, Young Enough, Worthy Enough and Healthy Enough for all this÷ And now that the surgery is completed I can start to Live and Live Abundantly. N9 wualns, no looking back except to say I'm glad it's over and I've made it through. I had strengths others discounted and By Golly the World is Open to Me! Just watch my contrail because this Rocket will fly, Baby, Fly!🚀

I too suffer from anxiety an depression; I have for at least 20 years. I've been on several medications since diagnosed, but the one I remain on consistently is Zoloft. I take 200 mgs a day, which, from what I understand is a pretty high dose. I also have Xanax and Valium to help control my panic attacks. I'd be lying if I didn't say I self medicated with alcohol as well pre-op. It was hard getting it under control but I did. Since surgery, 9 weeks ago today, I am still on my medication. However, I haven't needed the Xanax or Valium. I feel like the exercise I am getting is helping me cope with the stress to the point that I don't need those medicines anymore. Also, seeing weight come off has really helped boost my morale overall. I haven't tried to lessen my Zoloft dose, but as things progress I plan on trying. Over all I feel better both mentally and physically.

Edited by Tracy1978

I can totally see how post-op depression could be a thing. There are some that used food as a coping mechanism for their emotions prior to surgery and now that coping mechanism is unavailable to them.

I had major depressive disorder and anxiety before surgery. I still take medications, because for me personally, neither of these things were due to my weight... so I never expected surgery to relieve me of them. The NP I see for these things says the only thing that will heal those wounds is time... and in the meantime, there’s medications to lessen the burden.