Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first and hopefully last dumping experience

Let me give you some background on this amazing story yesterday was my birthday it was supposed to be a glorious day where my family celebrates the fact that I am alive. Sadly my glorious day was not so glorious. Christmas day I came down with a slight fever nothing huge 99-100 but enough to make you feel kind of bad, so I take some Tylenol and hit the sack I wake up to Breakfast in bed, a lovely filet mignon (I am on a Protein only diet) that was lovingly grilled it was amazing; I also woke up to a 100.8 fever. Again I take some Tylenol but I still feel miserable its all in my chest so my husband runs me up to the store to get something to give me some relief. I go through all the meds and I find a mucinex that is NOT time released but the pills are kind of big so I wait 20 minutes to talk to the pharmacist to make sure I can cut these big blue pills in half. The pharmacist who may I add seemed very perturbed with my line of questioning said that it would be fine so off I went to purchase what I hoped would be the salvation to my misery. Now my birthday gift was to go see star wars I know I know I was going to spread my germs to the entire world but what ever, because of the pharmacist and the whole trip to the store we missed the showing we were supposed to see so we grabbed lunch. Again I just nibbled on some steak (I wasn't very hungry), and when everyone was done we started walking over to the theater. That is when it happened my stomach started to cramp, I got incredibly flushed, felt like I was going to throw up and suddenly had zero energy. I told my husband and he rushed me home this is where my ten minute car ride felt like an eternity in hell I was actually praying that I would not loose my **** (literally) in front of my three kids and my husband. I have never clenched so hard in my entire life. We pull up to the house and it is a full on sprint for the bathroom, which worked wonders for my cough so now I have everything going wrong and I start hacking so hard that I am gagging. After my bathroom session I felt like a small part of me died and all I was able to do was crawl into bed I was so tired that I couldn't even sleep. When my husband came to check on me all I could say was If I had known that I was going to dump on my birthday I would have had a cupcake.

This is something that I never want to experience again. I called the Dr today and they where shocked to here of my dumping and that mucinex is on there safe list I explained it was the fast max and asked about cutting the pills they said that it speeds up absorption but still should not have caused and issue I am lucky and get to be the 1% sigh what a birthday present.

hmmm....that is weird. You usually get it when you eat too much fat or sugar. Like too much fried food, for example. Was the steak super fatty or....???

Oh WOW! I can't believe you even wanted to try meat. I didn't attempt any type of meat for almost a year as it still to this day (8 years later) does that exact same thing to me. I know this pain all too well and still experience it if I try to eat more than a bite or 2 of meat. I was on Protein as well for the 1st year, but mainly in the form of shakes or puree. The pain is just not worth it to even attempt to eat it anymore. I'm sorry you went through this and I would love to tell you that it's over, but more than likely, you will have this throughout your life with "hard to digest" foods. Mostly meats and heavy carbs. I don't touch bread, Pasta or anything like that because when it becomes "stuck" I feel like I'm gonna die.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

hmmm....that is weird. You usually get it when you eat too much fat or sugar. Like too much fried food, for example. Was the steak super fatty or....???

The steak is something that I eat all the time a small filet will feed me for breakfast lunch and dinner and sometimes breakfast the next day too

5 minutes ago, WV_Chef said:

Oh WOW! I can't believe you even wanted to try meat. I didn't attempt any type of meat for almost a year as it still to this day (8 years later) does that exact same thing to me. I know this pain all too well and still experience it if I try to eat more than a bite or 2 of meat. I was on Protein as well for the 1st year, but mainly in the form of shakes or puree. The pain is just not worth it to even attempt to eat it anymore. I'm sorry you went through this and I would love to tell you that it's over, but more than likely, you will have this throughout your life with "hard to digest" foods. Mostly meats and heavy carbs. I don't touch bread, Pasta or anything like that because when it becomes "stuck" I feel like I'm gonna die.

I am only allowed to eat meat or as my doctor put it things with faces. I wont get to add carbs into my diet until I am at 75% of my weight loss. I have not had pain or dumping issues with any of the meats I have eaten and this particular cut is a staple in my diet right now I mean if all i can eat is 1.5oz of meat I might as well have a good cut that isn't tough and has a good flavor. The only new thing that was added was the stupid pills :(

11 minutes ago, Sunnyday25 said:

I am only allowed to eat meat or as my doctor put it things with faces. I wont get to add carbs into my diet until I am at 75% of my weight loss. I have not had pain or dumping issues with any of the meats I have eaten and this particular cut is a staple in my diet right now I mean if all i can eat is 1.5oz of meat I might as well have a good cut that isn't tough and has a good flavor. The only new thing that was added was the stupid pills :(

maybe it was something with the pills? This whole thing just sounds odd. Especially since you've been able to tolerate meat before.

4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

maybe it was something with the pills? This whole thing just sounds odd. Especially since you've been able to tolerate meat before.

my guess and the drs guess is the pills i have checked the website to see if they have sugar but it doesn't say but it also doesn't say that they are good for diabetics I am betting it was the coating the pills had a minty flavor to them