Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water pills?? Furosemide

Are you using them for Fluid retention? Some people use them to dump Water weight and it’s a bad idea. Mostly used for people with congestive heart failure & high blood pressure.

1 hour ago, SouthernGirl76 said:

Are you using them for Fluid retention? Some people use them to dump Water weight and it’s a bad idea. Mostly used for people with congestive heart failure & high blood pressure.

What she said.... it's a diuretic used to control edema in CHF and HBP patients. Taking it without doctors supervision can lead to dehydration, cause electrolyte and thyroid hormone imbalances as well as liver and kidney damage.

Are you inquiring because your doctor is prescribed it or are you looking for a temporary Water weight loss?

What she said.... it's a diuretic used to control edema in CHF and HBP patients. Taking it without doctors supervision can lead to dehydration, cause electrolyte and thyroid hormone imbalances as well as liver and kidney damage.
Are you inquiring because your doctor is prescribed it or are you looking for a temporary Water weight loss?

Well i do have high blood pressure. I take something else for it. A friend has these and said it could help drop Water weight.

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

Well i do have high blood pressure. I take something else for it. A friend has these and said it could help drop water weight.

Why would you want to drop Water weight? It's not real weight anyways. And the resulting dehydration is bad for your heart, kidneys, brain and basically shuts down the metabolism of body fat. Kind of the exact opposite of what you should be striving for if you want to lose real weight and stay healthy.

Why would you want to drop Water weight? It's not real weight anyways. And the resulting dehydration is bad for your heart, kidneys, brain and basically shuts down the metabolism of body fat. Kind of the exact opposite of what you should be striving for if you want to lose real weight and stay healthy.

Well honestly i was just trying to i guess trick the scale. It was a one time thing. I do eat healthy and exercise. But this laxt 5lbs has been a struggle. And i wanted to meet my weigh in for surgery. Tho i know its not real fat etc. Then after that try harder and change up diet to help more with weightloss. Basically im just trying to get thru this one last appt

It's never a good idea to take meds that are not prescribed for you.

If you want to dump Water weight for a one-time weigh in, you can do it without pills. This isn't healthy and probably isn't even a good idea to list....but it's better than taking someone else's pills.

1. The day before your weigh in, drink a glass of water every half an hour. Drink, pee, drink, pee, drink, pee......this will purge a ton of salt from your body and purge retained water.

2. The next morning (after waking up twice overnight to pee) have a cup of strong coffee and nothing else. It's a natural diuretic.

3. Go for a 30 minute walk. You'll pee and very possibly, poop, too.

4. Take a very hot bath.

5. Don't eat or drink until your appointment. Take water with you to drink right after your weigh in.

Be sure to wear the lightest clothing you have. A sheer shirt and leggings weight a LOT less than jeans and a normal top. If you need to, wear a long cardigan sweater over your lightweight outfit and take it off to weigh. Don't wear jewelry. Don't wear hair accessories. Don't wear watches, fitbits, etc. Every ounce counts. Take your shoes off and wear sheer socks.

Again...none of this is healthy. But it will knock a few pounds off.

Don't use someone else's meds. Very bad idea.

I take HCTZ which is a diuretic to help with my blood pressure. My surgeon took me off post op just becayse the risk of dehydration after surgery but after a few days of bad edema I broke down and took one. Now I'm monitoring my sodium intake very closely since I'm still on the liquid phase and upped my Water intake and I'm doing much better. The sodium in broths and Soups are definitely a trigger for retention but hopefully I can manage to stay off it.

Sent from my VS995 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's never a good idea to take meds that are not prescribed for you.
If you want to dump Water weight for a one-time weigh in, you can do it without pills. This isn't healthy and probably isn't even a good idea to list....but it's better than taking someone else's pills.
1. The day before your weigh in, drink a glass of water every half an hour. Drink, pee, drink, pee, drink, pee......this will purge a ton of salt from your body and purge retained water.
2. The next morning (after waking up twice overnight to pee) have a cup of strong coffee and nothing else. It's a natural diuretic.
3. Go for a 30 minute walk. You'll pee and very possibly, poop, too.
4. Take a very hot bath.
5. Don't eat or drink until your appointment. Take water with you to drink right after your weigh in.
Be sure to wear the lightest clothing you have. A sheer shirt and leggings weight a LOT less than jeans and a normal top. If you need to, wear a long cardigan sweater over your lightweight outfit and take it off to weigh. Don't wear jewelry. Don't wear hair accessories. Don't wear watches, fitbits, etc. Every ounce counts. Take your shoes off and wear sheer socks.
Again...none of this is healthy. But it will knock a few pounds off.
Don't use someone else's meds. Very bad idea.

I know it bad i didn't take them. I guess im over stressed about my weight. Like i pushed and worked so hard and nothing happened. But im going to stay positive. Thank you for advice

I take HCTZ which is a diuretic to help with my blood pressure. My surgeon took me off post op just becayse the risk of dehydration after surgery but after a few days of bad edema I broke down and took one. Now I'm monitoring my sodium intake very closely since I'm still on the liquid phase and upped my Water intake and I'm doing much better. The sodium in broths and Soups are definitely a trigger for retention but hopefully I can manage to stay off it.

Sent from my VS995 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have high blood pressure too. Im just trying to meet weigh in goal. Its stressful

4 hours ago, stabb009 said:

I have high blood pressure too. Im just trying to meet weigh in goal. Its stressful

Please don’t take it to meet your goal. You will end up creating more problems than it’s worth.

My dr have me on HCTZ which is a Fluid pill, however, She also have me taking potassium! I haven’t had any problems!

You really do have to watch sodium though!