Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering gastric sleeve, but I'm afraid I'll be hungry and/or unwell all the time in the long run

Hey everyone!

After 10 years of dieting and losing tons of weight, just to put it back on, I'm finally considering gastric sleeve now. I'm about 300lbs.

While I hear lots of great things about it, there is one thing that's quite scary to me:
People are complaining that they feel hungry all the time afterwards in the long run.

I'm scared I'll just ditch calorie counting + feeling hungry for surgery + feeling hungry. And I know that hunger makes me not function properly and can have negative effects on my mental well being and the body. I started to think about this because of a lot of negative feedback on this topic here https://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/how-i-eat-at-two-years-post-op-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy.html
It seems to me that a lot people gain a bit of weight back (which is expected) and are afraid to gain even more, because their appetite is so high. They even talk about the fear of the stomach stretching to they can eat a lot more. Can anyone chip in on this?
While I might be obese, I feel like a mentally stable person, by not starving/not being hungry anymore. So I would not want to end up losing that.

And the other thing (which is not that scary to me):
Can I ever eat "normal" again? Going out with friends for a burger or a pizza? Basically having a regular sized meal?
Like I said, this is just a minor point compared to the benefits of the surgery, but the first point really makes me think.

I know being obese is a serious situation and gastric sleeve is probably going to help me a lot in that regard, but I still want to make sure I'll be on a good way mentally too afterwards, I hope you understand. I would be so very thankful for some of your honest opinions on this, please don't hold back. Much appreciated and merry christmas!

Edited by setoo

I'm 4 months post op so I can't really comment about long term hunger. At this point I rarely hungry.

I can say that I can now go out with friends for a meal and not worry about it. I usually order an entree and that is the perfect size for me. I can eat anything I like, no food causes me any problems.

I am confident getting my sleeve is the best decision I've ever made.

This is a big decision and good luck on what ever you decide.

I am also 4 months post op, and I am never hungry. I can pretty much eat anything, I dont do so well with breads that arent toasted (they tend to feel stuck) and stuff like pizza crusts (still bready) --- but to my huge surprise, I dont even care about those anymore. I really like my tortilla pizzas that I make and that is all I feel that I need. I dont feel like I am missing out at all. You start to take an inventory of real estate in your tummy and you just seem to naturally choose different foods than you used to.

I can go out for meals just like normal...but I stay away from buffets. I usually either split the order with my "date" or I just asking for a "TO GO" box up front. That is usually easiest and doesnt lead to awkward questions about if I enjoyed my meal so that I feel the need to over explain. I have never had anyone question either scenario.

I feel this has been a wonderful experience and I would definitely do it all over again. In four months I am virtually pain free and feel like a new woman, inside and out. I feel like me again!

I'm 6 months out and also don't/haven't felt hungry. I eat at restaurants with friends, but always end up taking home about 2/3rds of most meals. I do make wiser menu selections, but I haven't missed the old way I ate at all. No regrets.

Still losing so will need to see what happens when I start to work on maintenance, but with the weight loss I have been able to become way more active and I believe this will help me prevent weight gain.

I'm a year out and I feel hunger but nothing like the ravaging hunger I felt before surgery. I will feel hungry if I don't eat every couple hours but I eat 6 small meals a day so that works for me.

As for going out with friends and eating, I've had no issues. I can eat everything I did prior to surgery, though some things I avoid and can always find a meal to eat. When we go out I eat comparable sized meals to my thin female friends so portion size is not an issue, I often like to eat off the appetizer menu for my entrée.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:56 AM, Sullie06 said:

I'm a year out and I feel hunger but nothing like the ravaging hunger I felt before surgery. I will feel hungry if I don't eat every couple hours but I eat 6 small meals a day so that works for me.

As for going out with friends and eating, I've had no issues. I can eat everything I did prior to surgery, though some things I avoid and can always find a meal to eat. When we go out I eat comparable sized meals to my thin female friends so portion size is not an issue, I often like to eat off the appetizer menu for my entrée.

About a year out as well and pretty much in the same boat. I go out with friends but there are always leftovers. Do I miss pounding down some wings and beers with my mates? Eh...yes and no. I'm still having a good time going out with friends despite not eating a dozen wings and having 2 beers. Now it's maybe 2 wings and half a beer and that's it.

Head hunger is a very real thing. When I was on my 2 week pre-op diet I had a big come to Jesus moment in my relationship with food and how much control it had over me. I had the same questions/fears as you did. How could I ever enjoy Thanksgiving again if I can't eat 25 lbs worth of food!? Turns out it really isn't that big a deal.

As far as the stomach stretching thing a lot of that is myth. You're going to be able to eat more over time. That's supposed to happen. People can also fool themselves by eating too many slider foods. For instance let’s say you sit down at the table to a portion of chicken, some mashed potatoes, and some green Beans. Your Protein is the most important thing so you start on that. By the time you’re done you can barely eat any of the taters or greens. Now, if on the other hand I started with the potatoes I could probably get them all down and the chicken, and maybe some greens as well. Why? Because the potatoes are going to make their way through easier by being a softer food.

Head hunger is something that you have to learn to deal with. To me it’s no different than fighting other urges/addictions. I could eat something at work and feel stuffed, then get home an hour later and feel like I need to eat because I had a bad habit of always doing that. That still happens. I have to remind myself that I only think I’m hungry. It’s not true hunger. This is a lifestyle change. The surgery is just a tool. If you don’t it right then you won’t have success.

On 12/25/2017 at 9:06 AM, setoo said:

Hey everyone!

After 10 years of dieting and losing tons of weight, just to put it back on, I'm finally considering gastric sleeve now. I'm about 300lbs.

While I hear lots of great things about it, there is one thing that's quite scary to me:
People are complaining that they feel hungry all the time afterwards in the long run.

I'm scared I'll just ditch calorie counting + feeling hungry for surgery + feeling hungry. And I know that hunger makes me not function properly and can have negative effects on my mental well being and the body. I started to think about this because of a lot of negative feedback on this topic here https://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/how-i-eat-at-two-years-post-op-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy.html
It seems to me that a lot people gain a bit of weight back (which is expected) and are afraid to gain even more, because their appetite is so high. They even talk about the fear of the stomach stretching to they can eat a lot more. Can anyone chip in on this?
While I might be obese, I feel like a mentally stable person, by not starving/not being hungry anymore. So I would not want to end up losing that.

Can I ever eat "normal" again? Going out with friends for a burger or a pizza? Basically having a regular sized meal?
Like I said, this is just a minor point compared to the benefits of the surgery, but the first point really makes me think.

I know being obese is a serious situation and gastric sleeve is probably going to help me a lot in that regard, but I still want to make sure I'll be on a good way mentally too afterwards, I hope you understand. I would be so very thankful for some of your honest opinions on this, please don't hold back. Much appreciated and merry christmas!

I just got sleeved a week ago, so I can’t tell you everything from experience. However I have TONS of sleeved friends (hello! I’m a teacher! Lol!) and I haven’t heard them complaining about being hungry. Just like everyone else, when you’re hungry eat. Just be more mindful of what’s going in there. They eat pizza and anything else. (god, I can’t wait to eat pizza and tacos!)I think moderation is key.

On 12/25/2017 at 8:06 AM, setoo said:

Hey everyone!

My perspective from three years and seven months out from sleeve.

My hunger and the way it made me feel was a part of why I had surgery. My health was my number one reason.

Imagine having control over your food life. Food no longer controlled you. What would that feel like to you?

Surgery will not take away hunger. You may not feel hungry or feel like eating in the first few months. You will have times of head hunger and real hunger. My hunger is not like it was pre surgery. It is manageable.

Get in touch with a bariatric program in your area. Find out if they give seminars. Medical facts, risks and statistics are going to help you in your research phase.

You are going to read many peoples personal experiences online. Some negative some positive. Your surgery experience is going to be unique to you. Many people are here for support that will be able to relate.

It's normal to fear the unknown outcome of surgery. Common fears I hear are...

• Am I doing the right thing.
  • risks of complications or death with surgery.
  • will I fail another attempt of getting my weight off
  • What if I have loose skin and what will that look like for me
  • hair shedding/thinning. It will grow back.
  • what happens if I have a weight gain
  • Will food be as good as it was (addiction)
  • will I feel satisfied on smaller portions of food.
  • Can I have discipline and control of food.

I couldn't have lost this weight without my sleeve. I'm thankful.

For me I have no regrets or complications. I bounced back quickly from surgery. I had to learn to control head hunger and deal with emotional/stress eating. I had a gain after goal and I worked it back down (136 pounds today). This is still work after goal.

If you go back to old behaviors you will gain. This is about learning a new lifestyle. This is about getting your health and your life back. You can have this long term if you are willing to change and work for it.

I go out with my husband and family and friends frequently. I eat what I want. I take a lot of leftovers home. I have a drink now and then or a glass of wine, but only if I've allotted calories for it. I'm down 106 pounds. I'd like to lose another 15, but if I don't, that's ok. (I'm 16 months post op.)

I'm 56 years old. I'm in better shape right now than my two teens. I work out (a lot and I love it now), I eat pretty much what I want, when I want. When I have a burger, I have it on lettuce not on a bun because the Buns bother my stomach. I can have an occasional slice of pizza.

I'm literally, half the woman I was in April 2016 when I looked at myself in a photo with my oldest as she was headed to her junior prom - I was barely stuffing myself into size 22 pants and now I wear a size 8.

Hunger is real. A sleeve is a tool. To succeed your head has to be in the right place. Find a therapist and spend some time working through your issues with food and how you got to where you were. I don't eat my feelings any more. I feel much better.