Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2.5 years out from sleeve surgery and have gained 21lbs. I had lost 109 lbs in that time and now I have gotten comfortable. It’s almost like I’ve forgotten all of my “rules”. With the holidays here and all holiday parties that have been this month...I have felt OUT OF CONTROL! I know I have the will power inside me (because of everything I had to do to get to this point) Where do I start? I am eating more and more often than I should. Anyone have any pointers to get back to the lifestyle?

1 hour ago, weinerjo2002 said:

I am 2.5 years out from sleeve surgery and have gained 21lbs. I had lost 109 lbs in that time and now I have gotten comfortable. It’s almost like I’ve forgotten all of my “rules”. With the holidays here and all holiday parties that have been this month...I have felt OUT OF CONTROL! I know I have the will power inside me (because of everything I had to do to get to this point) Where do I start? I am eating more and more often than I should. Anyone have any pointers to get back to the lifestyle?

I also had a gain in my 3rd year. Here are some things to try. (just suggestions)

Where to start?

Start now or on Jan 1st 2018 for new years! You can get the weight back down to maintain. Weight loss is slower as you get further out from surgery.

Weight loss takes work. We have two choices. Go through the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.

Get back to the rules (bariatric basics)

• log food
  • hit calorie ,protein goals and low carb (whatever your surgeons plan is)
  • drink lots of Water
  • exercise

If basics are not working this is something to try:

Goto the TDEE calculator below

https://tdeecalculator.net/

It will calculate your calories, Protein and carbs based on your sex, height, weight, and activity level. (don't enter body fat)

click [CALCULATE]

This will give you your maintenance calories on the top right. Scroll down to macro nutrients

You will see three tabs [maintaining] [cutting] bulking]

Click [CUTTING]

It will show your cutting/weight loss calories

Below you will see three macorutien boxes with three carbohydrate ratios

Start with the low carb macros. Set these new macros into your food log app (myfitnesspal)

it will take dialing in your macros to see what point your body starts to lose weight. (I had to set my exercise level on step below my real activity level to get macros for my body to lose weight loss)

Merry christmas!

From what i hear u can resize stomach by shakes Optifast ... And drink then 5x a day for two weeks nothing but that and Jello and you resize your pouch ...

Sent from my LGLS676 using BariatricPal mobile app

I also had a gain in my 3rd year. Here are some things to try. (just suggestions)
Where to start?
Start now or on Jan 1st 2018 for new years! You can get the weight back down to maintain. Weight loss is slower as you get further out from surgery.
Weight loss takes work. We have two choices. Go through the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
Get back to the rules (bariatric basics)
  • log food
  • hit calorie ,protein goals and low carb (whatever your surgeons plan is)
  • drink lots of Water
  • exercise
If basics are not working this is something to try:
Goto the TDEE calculator below
https://tdeecalculator.net/
It will calculate your calories, Protein and carbs based on your sex, height, weight, and activity level. (don't enter body fat)
click [CALCULATE]
This will give you your maintenance calories on the top right. Scroll down to macro nutrients
You will see three tabs [maintaining] [cutting] bulking]
Click [CUTTING]
It will show your cutting/weight loss calories
Below you will see three macorutien boxes with three carbohydrate ratios
Start with the low carb macros. Set these new macros into your food log app (myfitnesspal)
it will take dialing in your macros to see what point your body starts to lose weight. (I had to set my exercise level on step below my real activity level to get macros for my body to lose weight loss)
Merry christmas!

Thanks so much! I know I have the tools to get back on track...just have to track and get started.

Merry Christmas!

4 hours ago, Yosy said:

From what i hear u can resize stomach by shakes Optifast ... And drink then 5x a day for two weeks nothing but that and Jello and you resize your pouch ...

Sent from my LGLS676 using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't think shakes would resize your pouch. It just helps you feel your restriction again. Same thing as the pouch reset diet.

Go back to basics. Whatever you did that first year after surgery, do it again. I regained 10 pounds in my 4th year from obvious poor food choices. Sure, my restriction is far less than it was the first two years, but it was the type of food I was eating, not the amount, that caused the regain. I had gotten happy and lazy and ignored all the Bariatric "rules" that had helped me lose 100 pounds and maintain for 3 years. Once I realized where I was headed, I went straight back to my proven weight loss high protein/low carb meal plan, added Protein Shakes back in and greatly increased my Water intake. Dropped those 10 pounds in a couple months.

good luck! You can do this.

Go back to basics. Whatever you did that first year after surgery, do it again. I regained 10 pounds in my 4th year from obvious poor food choices. Sure, my restriction is far less than it was the first two years, but it was the type of food I was eating, not the amount, that caused the regain. I had gotten happy and lazy and ignored all the Bariatric "rules" that had helped me lose 100 pounds and maintain for 3 years. Once I realized where I was headed, I went straight back to my proven weight loss high protein/low carb meal plan, added Protein Shakes back in and greatly increased my Water intake. Dropped those 10 pounds in a couple months.

good luck! You can do this.

That’s my plan. I’ve gotten lazy and comfortable for sure. I have to get back to what I KNOW works. Protein Shakes are a part of my plan and actually Darkening the door of the gym again. Thank you for reaching out. Any help I can get! Merry Christmas

If the extra assurance helps, you can get a ~$30 scale off of Amazon that tracks fat and Water weight separately.

Edited by forgetmenot

I’m in the same boat. 3 years out VSG and slowly gaining because I’ve gotten so lazy. I never got to where I wanted to be and got really depressed (it was many other things in my life that added to my depression) and I just gave up on myself. Now I have no energy and feel terrible all the time. I’m going to start with cleaning up my diet and making sure I take all my Vitamins and when I start to feel better from that I will slowly start walking every day. One mile at a time... for me it’s been a mental thing. If it’s a mental thing for you try to get to the bottom of it, other wise it will keep happening. I wish you the best and hope you have a wonderful Christmas [emoji813]️