Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Better Buy: Blender or Food Processor?

Do you use a blender or food processor more for your new diet / lifestyle? I need one or the other and I'm not sure which one or what the difference is... Any thoughts? Which do you use more and do you still use it 1 year plus after your surgery?

Thanks!

I am pre-op but decided to buy a high end blender to have post surgery. With a Blendtec or Vitamix, you can make perfectly smooth vegetable drinks, nut butters and even hot Soup right in the blender. I've already been getting a lot of use out of it and expect to use it even more for pureed stage, etc.

I used a Ninja blender and was pleased with it. It had a single serving cup, which meant I could blend my Protein Shake, change lids and drink my shake without pouring it into another glass.

I bought the new Ninja system that has a blender and a food processor attachment that operate on the same base. That way I didn’t have to decide between the two. It’s a really great system.

And does anyone use a juicer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

50 minutes ago, kfulcer said:

And does anyone use a juicer?

Interesting question -- I've personally never understood opting for the mess of a juicer when a powerful blender (I have Vitamix) renders the entire fruit/veg to a drinkable state.

I wouldn't personally opt for a separate food processor (I rarely use mine), but I did see the Ninja system at costco last weekend and almost bought it for for my son -- seems like a GREAT deal and I think it also spiralized???

Interesting question -- I've personally never understood opting for the mess of a juicer when a powerful blender (I have Vitamix) renders the entire fruit/veg to a drinkable state.
I wouldn't personally opt for a separate food processor (I rarely use mine), but I did see the Ninja system at costco last weekend and almost bought it for for my son -- seems like a GREAT deal and I think it also spiralized???

It does have a spiralizer attachment as well. I haven’t used that part yet, but have been itching to try it to make some zucchini noodles.

Do you use a blender or food processor more for your new diet / lifestyle? I need one or the other and I'm not sure which one or what the difference is... Any thoughts? Which do you use more and do you still use it 1 year plus after your surgery?
Thanks!

I have a small cuisinart food processor, a Blendtec blender and a cold press juicer. I use my juicer and food processor the most right now and it’s seasonal.

I am making a lot of savory dishes that get portioned out and frozen, in particular meat and bean dishes. Doing the work that needs to be done with garlic, onions, peppers, herbs, shallots, etc just works best in a small food processor.

I prefer juices over veg smoothies but truthfully the Fiber would do me good and I may lay off on the veg juicing. You can just get a lot more bang for your buck nutrient wise with juicing so it’s a trade off for the post op patient and my juicing is 90 pct veg and herbs with a boat load of ginger. I don’t do as much juicing in the winter. Not sure why, probably just all the growing up years of savory and saucy things when it’s cold.

The one kitchen accessory that has been shockingly valuable is a high quality knife sharpener. I cook and prep food so much more often now. I am a single New Yorker and this demographic lives on take out and dining out. But that just doesn’t work for me. I am now heavily invested in food prep and cooking and I love it.

I don’t use my slow cooker as much as I thought I would. It’s a hand me down from a friends upgrade to the instapot. I haven’t quite nailed how to use this without the incredible dulling of flavor that comes with the slow cooker but truthfully I haven’t done as much experimentation as I could have. I did do a Boston but in the slow cooker recently for a dinnner party to make pulled pork tacos that turned out really well.

The benefit of the juicer is the nutrient to volume bang. The downside is no fiber and lord knows I could use more fiber.

I have a small cuisinart food processor, a Blendtec blender and a cold press juicer. I use my juicer and food processor the most right now and it’s seasonal.

I am making a lot of savory dishes that get portioned out and frozen, in particular meat and bean dishes. Doing the work that needs to be done with garlic, onions, peppers, herbs, shallots, etc just works best in a small food processor.

I prefer juices over veg smoothies but truthfully the fiber would do me good and I may lay off on the veg juicing. You can just get a lot more bang for your buck nutrient wise with juicing so it’s a trade off for the post op patient and my juicing is 90 pct veg and herbs with a boat load of ginger. I don’t do as much juicing in the winter. Not sure why, probably just all the growing up years of savory and saucy things when it’s cold.

The one kitchen accessory that has been shockingly valuable is a high quality knife sharpener. I cook and prep food so much more often now. I am a single New Yorker and this demographic lives on take out and dining out. But that just doesn’t work for me. I am now heavily invested in food prep and cooking and I love it.

I don’t use my slow cooker as much as I thought I would. It’s a hand me down from a friends upgrade to the instapot. I haven’t quite nailed how to use this without the incredible dulling of flavor that comes with the slow cooker but truthfully I haven’t done as much experimentation as I could have. I did do a Boston but in the slow cooker recently for a dinnner party to make pulled pork tacos that turned out really well.

New Yorkers in the house! I’m in Brooklyn. Just bought a high end Vitamix Ascent series blender. If nothing else it will be in my family for decades. I may end up getting a proper food processor as well.

Thanks for all your helpful information. I was a big take out / delivery guy too as so many of us are. Looking forward to cooking again. I was a line cook for a couple years in my late teens and learned a lot in many high end kitchens. Could be fun to cook

Any other tips or wisdom you can share? How long ago was your surgery and how’s it going now? Did you get your surgery done at Columbia by chance?

Thanks,

Jay

1 hour ago, march1 said:

New Yorkers in the house! I’m in Brooklyn. Just bought a high end Vitamix Ascent series blender. If nothing else it will be in my family for decades. I may end up getting a proper food processor as well.

Thanks for all your helpful information. I was a big take out / delivery guy too as so many of us are. Looking forward to cooking again. I was a line cook for a couple years in my late teens and learned a lot in many high end kitchens. Could be fun to cook

Any other tips or wisdom you can share? How long ago was your surgery and how’s it going now? Did you get your surgery done at Columbia by chance?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi there! Always good to have NYC in the house! And enjoy that Vitamix! I am in Washington Heights now, recent transplant from Bushwick. Best two decisions I've made in the past year was moving out of Bushwick for Washington Heights (there's green up there! lots of it!) and having a gastric sleeve. I know the former is probably heresy to BK devotees.

I did my surgery memorial day - my stats are in my signature, but it's gone pretty smoothly for me. My surgery was self-pay due to insurance and I did that in Mexico - which was also simple and straightforward and managed the preop work and post op work my PCP who is affiliated with NYU.

Being on this board is a good structure, I've learned a lot here that has been very helpful about various topics.

Since surgery I've lost 115 lbs, and about to cross from obese to overweight according to BMI charts and have fallen in love with exercise/working out (actually, it's better to say I have fallen in love with the benefits of that).

You will have a blast prepping and cooking with your background - I should be asking you for tips!

Thanks for reaching out. Always good to connect with those who have are further down the path. Glad to heart Mexico worked out, it seems popular due to our f’ed up healthcare system.

Congratulations on your success so far. I’m excited too! I also find this app very helpful and it’s endearing that people pay it forward.

Wow, 115 pounds is amazing. Go girl! I wish you continued success and a great holiday and new year.

Hi there! Always good to have NYC in the house! And enjoy that Vitamix! I am in Washington Heights now, recent transplant from Bushwick. Best two decisions I've made in the past year was moving out of Bushwick for Washington Heights (there's green up there! lots of it!) and having a gastric sleeve. I know the former is probably heresy to BK devotees.
I did my surgery memorial day - my stats are in my signature, but it's gone pretty smoothly for me. My surgery was self-pay due to insurance and I did that in Mexico - which was also simple and straightforward and managed the preop work and post op work my PCP who is affiliated with NYU.
Being on this board is a good structure, I've learned a lot here that has been very helpful about various topics.
Since surgery I've lost 115 lbs, and about to cross from obese to overweight according to BMI charts and have fallen in love with exercise/working out (actually, it's better to say I have fallen in love with the benefits of that).
You will have a blast prepping and cooking with your background - I should be asking you for tips!

By the way, what food processor did you get? Also one question, what’s your relationship to coffee now? Drink it? Espresso? How has your coffee consumption changed?

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, march1 said:

By the way, what food processor did you get? Also one question, what’s your relationship to coffee now? Drink it? Espresso? How has your coffee consumption changed?

I got a small Cuisinart.

My relationship to coffee - I have none. I have never had a sip of coffee in my life. I drink tea occasionally but among my many vices caffeine has never been one.

According to your stats on your post - today is your surgery day! Kick Ass!