Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Scale Victories

4 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

This is an odd one but I am coming to the realization that this was a non-scale victory.

New people I meet do not realize that I was ever over weight. Case in point

I recently had a job interview with a recruiter. I mentioned that I had never had a face-to-face interview with a recruiter before and then I typically only did phone interviews with recruiters. She stated that she met all of the candidates first, to vet them. She told me how important appearance is and Then went on to tell me a short story about how she had recently scheduled a pre-screening interview at a restaurant. When she arrived at the restaurant the candidate was already seated. She said she ordered a nice salad, while he ordered a huge expensive steak dinner with sides, and consumed the meal entirely and rapidly.

She said she was so relieved that she met and prescreened this candidate because her client would never have excepted an overweight person.

Needless to say I was a bit taken aback and never told her that I myself had had weight-loss surgery. I was offended by it but let it go.

I had another incident similar to this happened to me this week. So why is this a non-scale victory?

Well, apparently I now look so fantastic that no one would ever know that I was overweight. I have never heard of these kind of comments in my life. I guess I have reached a new status where is people think They can share this information with me and it is in a safe space. So I guess I’ll take that as a positive?

But it also lets you see the opportunities that passed you by when you were overweight. And that's sad, because your qualifications haven't changed. Unless, of course, you have a job that is dependent on your weight.

I actually sat on my OH's lap at the bowling alley, without crushing him and without sliding off!

We were both so chuffed, he jiggled me about and we engaged in a bit of comedy-canoodling.....at which point, I heard a small voice in the next lane saying "Look mum! It's Miss H____ from school!" Typical, eh?! 😲😀

I’m taken aback at how many more clothing choices there are in nonplus sizing. It’s been a roller coaster of emotions finding clothes that not only fit, but I actually truly like. It’s been fun finding my own signature style!

My sister gave me a structured dress for Christmas that’s a size 10 in a non-flexible fabric. It’s one that goes right up to my neck and has long sleeves. I took it out of the bag and thanked her, all the while thinking there’s no way this will fit.

Well, it does. PERFECTLY. I’m kind of boggled.

I also went on a two-week business trip with only carry-on luggage. I’ve been able to do this for vacations before, but never for a business trip. My clothes are smaller, I pack far fewer sweaters, and everything is interchangeable as long as I pack carefully - this used not to be achievable, since Slacks 1 only looked good with Sweater 3, and Skirt 1 could only be worn with Top 1... both my problem areas and the weird quirks of plus sized tailoring really made mixing and matching difficult. Now I can pack a pair of black jeans, and because they’re pretty high-end and I’m not overweight anymore, they just look great when paired with a sleek top and jewelry.

On Christmas Day, I sat at the table in a chair with ARMS!
I was able to get in & out of it without dragging the chair with me!

Thursday, I went in y daughter’s room and found a pair of jeans that I could wear (she’s 19 and has been smaller than me!) and my friend said they were still a little baggy!! #winning

image-0.0020265579223632812.jpg

I went home for the holidays and actually enjoyed shopping with my family. I'm two dress sizes smaller than I thought I was and actually found beautiful clothes that fit in the clearance sections.

January sales. I have been able to buy so much at January sales, and I have been able to be PICKY. I bought a freaking ball gown! (There’s a purpose, this isn’t rechanneling food bingeing into shopping.) It all fits, now it’s a question of does it look awesome.

And just the purchase of the gown is novel. Before I would have (rightly) assumed the Quest for a dress would be maddening, that I’d end up in something that made me feel acceptable at best, and even if I went to the event I’d have to gin myself up for it. There’s a fair chance I’d skip the event. But now I’m looking forward to it!

Edited by sideeye

We're going to the Dominican Republic in February and I have to make sure all my bathing suits aren't TOO BIG!

4 minutes ago, Jolexis said:

I ran 8 miles today! 🤮🥳

#myHero !!!

I have a mental block with 10km (6.21 miles), my body is like "I'm DONE".

On 01/14/2020 at 13:05, ms.sss said:

#myHero !!!

I have a mental block with 10km (6.21 miles), my body is like "I'm DONE".

I understand completely! I felt great until mile 6 then I was like “okay this isn’t fun anymore 😭🤬”. It’s going to take some serious work to get to 10 and 13 miles and I’ll have to figure out at what point to start adding some fuel/water during the run and what won’t cause cramping. It’s been a fun/painful journey for sure 😅

2 hours ago, Jolexis said:

I understand completely! I felt great until mile 6 then I was like “okay this isn’t fun anymore 😭🤬”. It’s going to take some serious work to get to 10 and 13 miles and I’ll have to figure out at what point to start adding some fuel/water during the run and what won’t cause cramping. It’s been a fun/painful journey for sure 😅

omg. I don't know why I never thought of this...I probably need to drink some Water or take in some fuel to run longer!! All this time I have been running without water/fuel breaks, duh.

....aslo, is someone training for a half marathon????? ;)

Casually training 😅 I refuse to commit to one until I hit 10 miles with AT LEAST a sub 12 min/mi pace. The fall half marathon near me kicks everyone off who doesn’t keep under 14min/mi and I would be mortified/filled with rage if it happened to me. 😣

for what it's worth, I struggled with the same issues with long bike rides - how to fuel and keep hydrated without over doing the carbs and end up dumping. I found a couple of Protein Bars that work well - Think Thin and RX bars. Both have enough carbs (28 and 24 g to fuel. but 12 and 13 gm of Protein to balance the carbs. I was finishing up my rides thirsty and craving salt until I started adding Body Armour drink to my Water. I make it half and half. It really did the trick. The electrolytes must be just right, because there is no more salt craving and I can finish after a workout feeling great with no thirst.