Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Scale Victories

As long as they reach from your hips to the floor, I would count it as a Victory!

9 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I'm 5' 3"!

I would not have guessed you were 5'3".

This week I started a new job - I'm an RN, but my new position is office work and non-clinical (so I can't wear scrubs anymore). Today I'm wearing professional pants in a size 16, purchased off-the-rack at a regular store. I don't think I've been this size since high school - my entire adult life I've bounced between 18 and 22. I feel amazing.

And I just bet you look pretty amazing also!

So I’ve been struggling with my longest slow/stall and feeling frustrated. Adding in that yesterday I went to use my recumbent bike and I was exhausted after 7 minutes when last week I did 35 with no problem.

I put on a shirt I bought 2 months ago that was tight in the arms/shoulders but today didn’t strain one bit (wohoo bat wings!). Add in that my size 14 dress pants from Lane Bryant are hitting the loose phase became a very much needed NSV.

Now today the sun is out and I’m hoping to work in the yard when I get home from work.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:45 PM, naturallyzee said:

Off 3 diabetes medications.
Knees don't hurt as bad.
Wrapping a regular sized towel completely around me.
Fitting in a plane seat
Disney World
Size 12 clothing down from 26
Zipping regular calf boots.

Yes ... almost exactly my (male) experience.

* Down to just one medication now ... apixaban/Eloquis ... and that won't change any time soon

* My knees and ankles appreciate that I've shed more than a third of my mass/weight in 52 weeks

* Yep ... the bath-sheet is too big now when it would not quite go around me 15 months ago. A regular-sized towel is enough to dry me adequately after a bath or shower or time in the pool.

* Aeroplane and bus seats have room left-over

* My driving position in the car is not cramped by my obesity like 12-25 months ago. My seat belt is NOT all the way extended as in the past.

* My shirts/tops are down from Australian 8XL/9XL (USA 5XL) to 2XL/XL (USA XL). Ditto underpants ... from 7XL to 2XL now.

* My slacks/trousers are down from 177cm/172cm [about 70 inches] waist to 122cm/117cm range [about 45 inches]

I gave away 19 shopping bags of "super big" clothes and 22 pairs of slacks/trousers to the charity shop in the last few months.

Once the plastic surgeon removes my excess skin before xmas 2019, I expect to shed another two to three pants sizes.

I also noticed that my feet lose weight/width proportionately with my upper body. I no longer need 4E shoe widths. I can get by with E or 2E in leather shoes and regular joggers/trainers/tennis-shoes.

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior
missing info

At a trade show this week. Usually miserable with sore feet and back. I'm 100% fine this year. Younger and skinnier people were complaining how much they hurt, no idea how I had no pain at all!

Flew all over the country this month, all in coach, walked miles through airports from the last gate in every terminal in 3” heels and none of it was any problem at all. I can even cross my legs in coach and shift around to different positions during a 5-hour flight. I don’t have to keep my arms tightly crossed to make sure I’m not touching the person in the middle seat. Unreal.

The way I pack for trips changed too. I never realized how much mental math went into calibrating all the different permutations of event/activity/weather. Now I just bring a few things that look good, and I can mix and match on the day. I used to have to bring whole outfits the were carefully coordinated to hide problem areas, and if the weather was too hot or cold it ruined that plan. Now I just wear what I’ll be comfortable in, which also happens to all look good on me no matter what.

1 hour ago, sideeye said:

I can even cross my legs in coach and shift around to different positions during a 5-hour flight.

I can only do that in an exit row - I'm 6'1". But i can do it now!

Oh! And while I still have to treat my sleep apnea, it's mild enough to treat it with a dental appliance instead of a CPAP machine! The insurance company approved it and they're making it as we speak!

2 hours ago, sideeye said:

Now I just bring a few things that look good, and I can mix and match on the day. I used to have to bring whole outfits the were carefully coordinated to hide problem areas, and if the weather was too hot or cold it ruined that plan. Now I just wear what I’ll be comfortable in, which also happens to all look good on me no matter what.

^^^^Yes! ^^^^^ THIS is what I can't wait for!🤗🤩

No more having outfits and backup plans picked out so I can figure out how to hide the fat rolls no matter what the weather. It is more mentally exhausting than I want to admit. 😪

2 hours ago, sideeye said:

Flew all over the country this month, all in coach, walked miles through airports from the last gate in every terminal in 3” heels and none of it was any problem at all. I can even cross my legs in coach and shift around to different positions during a 5-hour flight. I don’t have to keep my arms tightly crossed to make sure I’m not touching the person in the middle seat. Unreal.

The way I pack for trips changed too. I never realized how much mental math went into calibrating all the different permutations of event/activity/weather. Now I just bring a few things that look good, and I can mix and match on the day. I used to have to bring whole outfits the were carefully coordinated to hide problem areas, and if the weather was too hot or cold it ruined that plan. Now I just wear what I’ll be comfortable in, which also happens to all look good on me no matter what.

I'm in total agreement on everything but heels in airports. That's just crazy talk! :P

This isn’t precisely a NSV, but - everyone hugs me now? EVERYONE. It’s fine with me, I’m cool with hugs, but I am also onto you people: I know you’re partly hugging me to see if I’ve actually lost weight or if I’m just wearing optical-illusion clothes!

They're not being mean or weird about it, and half of it is they’re happy to see me looking so much more confident, so the hug is genuine exuberance - but I know you’re feeling up my rib cage for scaffolding, friends.

...and the heels in the airport were totally worth it and surprisingly comfortable. Also I ran out of room for them in my suitcase and had to wear them to meetings, so what the heck.

Edited by sideeye