Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea and Anesthesia

Something has been bothering me since I got my clearance from the pulmonologist. I have severe sleep apnea, for those of you familiar, my number is 123. That means I stop breathing 123 times per hour. The pulmonologist said that people with severe sleep apnea have problems coming off the ventilator after surgery. I'm terrified to wake up and still be attached. Has anyone heard of this? I read an article of a woman who was attached for 3 days after surgery due to sleep apnea. I know they have to give you all the risks, but that one I could have lived without knowing!

My surgery was 6 years ago - so maybe things have changed.

My number was 111 - so also severe sleep apnea. What I was told is that the primary risk is the first 24 hours post op and the way my suregeon dealt with it is that I stayed overnight and was on monitors. Otherwise, I was healthy enough to do it outpatient/day surgery. I had no problems but I felt safer with the precautions.

I too was frightened, but when I considered the risk of just dropping dead from being so obese, I decided that the surgical risk with apnea was less frightening than the very real risk of entering my 50s weighing over 300#. I had a niece (age 40) and a SIL (age 62), both very obese (probably heavier than me even), both died of sudden heart attacks related to the obesity - although the SIL passed AFTER I had sleeve surgery. Those deaths really hit home.

Since I like facts to back up decisions, I would do research on the actual percentages. I get that terrible things can happen due to bariatric surgery but the vast majority of people do just fine and have no serious problems.

For the sleeve, I'd be much more worried about reflux as a lot of people do wind up having to manage that to varying extent over the longhaul.

Prior to my RNY gastric bypass surgery, I had sleep apnea. My wife is a light sleeper and my snoring would keep her awake all night long. This went on for years. Within a few weeks after surgery, this problem went into remission and has remained in remission ever since. I am over 4 1/2 years post-op. A few months after my operation, I would wake up in the middle of the night and find my wife hovering over me as I slept. I asked her what she was doing. She said I was sleeping so quietly, she was trying to tell if I was still alive.

1 hour ago, CowgirlJane said:

My surgery was 6 years ago - so maybe things have changed.

My number was 111 - so also severe sleep apnea. What I was told is that the primary risk is the first 24 hours post op and the way my suregeon dealt with it is that I stayed overnight and was on monitors. Otherwise, I was healthy enough to do it outpatient/day surgery. I had no problems but I felt safer with the precautions.

I too was frightened, but when I considered the risk of just dropping dead from being so obese, I decided that the surgical risk with apnea was less frightening than the very real risk of entering my 50s weighing over 300#. I had a niece (age 40) and a SIL (age 62), both very obese (probably heavier than me even), both died of sudden heart attacks related to the obesity - although the SIL passed AFTER I had sleeve surgery. Those deaths really hit home.

Since I like facts to back up decisions, I would do research on the actual percentages. I get that terrible things can happen due to bariatric surgery but the vast majority of people do just fine and have no serious problems.

For the sleeve, I'd be much more worried about reflux as a lot of people do wind up having to manage that to varying extent over the longhaul.

Thank you for your response. I agree with you about the weighing the risks of being overweight vs. surgery with sleep apnea.

I'm having gastric bypass, so hopefully I won't have to battle the reflux.

I will tell you that I have severe sleep apnea and I use my cpap religiously! That was a HUGE concern of mine going into my surgery two days ago. The surgeon and the anesthesiologist were on board and assured me that they had me taken care of. When I woke up from surgery I felt great. No scratchy voice, easy to talk, no issues at all. Your concerns are valid, trust me. Just let your team know that it is one of your biggest fears. They will take care of you. I'm glad I did speak up. Good luck to you my friend.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

If you think about it, they're so many obese people like me with obstructive sleep apnea that have surgery. They see it all the time. As long as you have a good surgical team that you are confident in, you'll do great. That put me at ease real quick. When I went to the surgery room and got on the surgery table, they propped my upper body up and that when I first fell asleep they could quickly intubate me and get the show on the road. Looking back to two days ago, I had absolutely NOTHING to worry about because I trusted my team and expressed ALL of my fears and concerns. You'll do great. Be confident with the team you chose to perform life changing surgery on you. Good luck. You got this.

10 hours ago, SampTheChamp said:

I will tell you that I have severe sleep apnea and I use my cpap religiously! That was a HUGE concern of mine going into my surgery two days ago. The surgeon and the anesthesiologist were on board and assured me that they had me taken care of. When I woke up from surgery I felt great. No scratchy voice, easy to talk, no issues at all. Your concerns are valid, trust me. Just let your team know that it is one of your biggest fears. They will take care of you. I'm glad I did speak up. Good luck to you my friend.

Thank you for easing my mind! I know it is a slightly irrational fear, considering that a vast majority of WLS patients have sleep apnea. I will def talk to my doctor and anesthesiologist about it before hand!

All good. They have people bring the machines and require a few extra hours in post surgery ICU At least in the states ☮️

Something has been bothering me since I got my clearance from the pulmonologist. I have severe sleep apnea, for those of you familiar, my number is 123. That means I stop breathing 123 times per hour. The pulmonologist said that people with severe sleep apnea have problems coming off the ventilator after surgery. I'm terrified to wake up and still be attached. Has anyone heard of this? I read an article of a woman who was attached for 3 days after surgery due to sleep apnea. I know they have to give you all the risks, but that one I could have lived without knowing!

Hi Ash, I feel what you are saying, I also had severe sleep apnea and used CPAP machine. After surgery it was recommended by my Doctor to stop using it, he was afraid air intake will affect my abdominal pain, long story short, after my second month I lost about 70 lbs, and helped a lot to reduce/stop my sleep apnea. Now at my 9th month that is no longer an issue.. Just fyi if you have a CPAP and you insurance is paying for it, make sure you return it. Of course check with your Doctor first, but as far as sleep apnea it goes away with weight loss.. good luck [emoji106]

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, Back2fit said:

Hi Ash, I feel what you are saying, I also had severe sleep apnea and used CPAP machine. After surgery it was recommended by my Doctor to stop using it, he was afraid air intake will affect my abdominal pain, long story short, after my second month I lost about 70 lbs, and helped a lot to reduce/stop my sleep apnea. Now at my 9th month that is no longer an issue.. Just fyi if you have a CPAP and you insurance is paying for it, make sure you return it. Of course check with your Doctor first, but as far as sleep apnea it goes away with weight loss.. good luck

I love my CPAP, I literally can't sleep without it right now. Although, I know my sleep apnea will improve after I loose weight. My pulmonologist thinks I may still have sleep apnea when I'm thinner because of my short neck and jaw. So, if I have to get rid of it, that will be a whole different obstacle to overcome.

thanks for the input :) and congrats on your success!