Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone else relate

I️ lost 30 pounds in my 1st month and today is my second month and I️ only lost 9 pounds smh that’s such a drastic difference I️ know a lost is a lost but what’s goin on????!!!

I would be thrilled with 9 pounds a month. You didn't gain all your weight in a few months...you won't lose it that fast either.

Your body consumes an insane number of calories healing itself immediately following a major surgery, plus you had several days of not eating at all in there. You've done the heavy lifting of healing at this point, and you're starting to eat again. You can only lose the number of pounds your body is consuming in calories.

According to mayo Clinic...A 250 lb. female who is moderately active burns about 2,050 calories per day.

Assuming you're eating about 1000 calories a day....the best you can hope for is about 2 pounds per week with moderate activity.

If you want to up this number...you have to up your calorie burn....which means more exercise every day.

The other way to up the number, is to eat fewer calories....which is a trap, because while you will lose a little more weight, you'll end up resetting your metabolism to a starvation conservation level that makes weight loss more difficult...and regain more likely.

If you want to lose more....exercise more.

But 9 pounds a month....is phenomenal progress. Be happy you're doing so well!

I'm 13 months out I've been stalled for about 30 days. When it was all said and done to get here, I lost on average 9lbs per month. Of course, it didn't come off that way, but that was the average over a year.

Nine pounds per month is great. I am only losing about five. You will see later on that your weight loss is going to slow down even quite a bit more than that. I eat less than 1,200 calories per day, work out 6-8X per week, and still only manage to drop a pound on average per week. I am definitely leaning up though, even though I'm not losing much weight. I am also pretty close to goal, so a slower weight loss it expected.

Don't be discouraged though. Even a five pound per month loss is still sixty pounds per year.

When I first stalled it was because I wasn't eating enough Protein. 2 ND time I stalled, it was because I wasn't drinking enough Water. As time goes on, it slows, the more you work out the better.

I would be thrilled with 9 pounds a month. You didn't gain all your weight in a few months...you won't lose it that fast either.

Your body consumes an insane number of calories healing itself immediately following a major surgery, plus you had several days of not eating at all in there. You've done the heavy lifting of healing at this point, and you're starting to eat again. You can only lose the number of pounds your body is consuming in calories.

According to mayo Clinic...A 250 lb. female who is moderately active burns about 2,050 calories per day.

Assuming you're eating about 1000 calories a day....the best you can hope for is about 2 pounds per week with moderate activity.

If you want to up this number...you have to up your calorie burn....which means more exercise every day.

The other way to up the number, is to eat fewer calories....which is a trap, because while you will lose a little more weight, you'll end up resetting your metabolism to a starvation conservation level that makes weight loss more difficult...and regain more likely.

If you want to lose more....exercise more.

But 9 pounds a month....is phenomenal progress. Be happy you're doing so well!

Thank you for the information and encouraging words

Nine pounds per month is great. I am only losing about five. You will see later on that your weight loss is going to slow down even quite a bit more than that. I eat less than 1,200 calories per day, work out 6-8X per week, and still only manage to drop a pound on average per week. I am definitely leaning up though, even though I'm not losing much weight. I am also pretty close to goal, so a slower weight loss it expected.
Don't be discouraged though. Even a five pound per month loss is still sixty pounds per year.

Thank you sometimes you need these reality checks to remind u that just because you had surgery it’s still a journey and will be a work in progress

When I first stalled it was because I wasn't eating enough Protein. 2 ND time I stalled, it was because I wasn't drinking enough Water. As time goes on, it slows, the more you work out the better.

I️ noticed that when I️ stalled my first time so far I️ have been able to get both in on a daily but your right patience is key

Your doing a great job. The first month is usually when you have that big initial weight-loss but 9 pound a month is amazing. I'm a week from my 1 year anniversary and just got off a two month stall, I was averaging 3 pounds a month from 6-9 months, nothing for 10-11 months and I've lost a pound in the last 2 days so I'm back to losing again. This process does slowly become slow and steady and it can be frustrating but I just remind myself when did I ever lose 86 pounds in a year?

Your doing a great job. The first month is usually when you have that big initial weight-loss but 9 pound a month is amazing. I'm a week from my 1 year anniversary and just got off a two month stall, I was averaging 3 pounds a month from 6-9 months, nothing for 10-11 months and I've lost a pound in the last 2 days so I'm back to losing again. This process does slowly become slow and steady and it can be frustrating but I just remind myself when did I ever lose 86 pounds in a year?

Congratulations on your success so far that’s amazing... these stalls definitely suck but your right have to look at the bigger picture which can be hard sometimes thank you for the encouraging words

There's a post somewhere on here with the expected monthly weight loss based on your starting weight.
My surgeon told me 25 lbs the first month and 8-10 each month after that- so you are right on track. I'm 6 months out and if I average my weight loss since the start I've averaged 2 pounds a week- the dr says that's awesome and I am totally happy with it too.
Try to balance your expectations. The weight didn't go on overnight and won't come off overnight.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 172.8 GW 135