Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time to be honest. Anyone care to join?

I'm sorry about your loss' as well, no matter how short it is pregnancy changes our bodies. I was pregnant 4 times in 5 years, two successful and 2 miscarriages, and with each pregnancy my weight afterwards became more of an issue. It was like I was not able to get my hands on it and control it.
I'm sorry about your depression and anxiety. I think that having this surgery isn't just about weight alone. If it will improve your mental health and thus your over all health it's completely a good reason to do it, whether or not it's east for you to lose weight. Some people lose super easy but can't keep it off, some just can't lose and some cant find the right way to do it.

I really hope it does. I've read some articles that say that some people develop depression after the surgery. Hopefully because I've been through it on occasion I'll be able to manage it better. If it did actually improve my mind that would be amazing though! Glad someone else understands what it does to you mentally and physically! I wish you even more success in the future xxx

Surgery due January 17th 2018

CW 238
GW 133

I’ll throw in. I first tried losing weight at about 18. I dropped over a hundred pounds. But, slowly put it all back on. Did it again in my late twenties (~80lbs) and slowly put it back on. At 34, I got on Phentramine. Dropped 100 lbs. by 40, had put it all back on. I found that during the last time, I had to run every day and keep a ridiculously strict diet (always felt like I was starving) to not gain weight. I injured myself (running 8-10 miles every day) and the weight piled back. I’m hoping this will be the last time I ever have to drop huge amounts of weight. Smaller portions and a size that allows me to stay active without injury. Fingers crossed.

I’ll throw in. I first tried losing weight at about 18. I dropped over a hundred pounds. But, slowly put it all back on. Did it again in my late twenties (~80lbs) and slowly put it back on. At 34, I got on Phentramine. Dropped 100 lbs. by 40, had put it all back on. I found that during the last time, I had to run every day and keep a ridiculously strict diet (always felt like I was starving) to not gain weight. I injured myself (running 8-10 miles every day) and the weight piled back. I’m hoping this will be the last time I ever have to drop huge amounts of weight. Smaller portions and a size that allows me to stay active without injury. Fingers crossed.

I wish I got to the lose stage to begin with! Then again it's more disheartening losing it and watching your hard work fade away as you regain! Fingers crossed all goes well! Xx

CW 238
GW 133

I think anyone can lose weight.

I have lost hundreds (yes, hundreds) of pounds over my lifetime. I have been fat my entire life. I was also an athlete, so, when I was younger, I was able to manage being a bigger girl because even though I was 180lbs at 5'5" in high school - I was strong. I am going to be 50 this year, and even though I am active, I am definitely limited with what activities I can do at my current weight (300lbs).

I have been in and out of weight watchers since I was 12. Have done every diet that has EVER existed (seriously, can anyone say/smell cabbage soup). I have yo-yo'ed my entire life. Some diets more successful than others. When I was in my twenties, I had my most success with a nutritionist. I lost about 80lbs with her and when I couldn't get the remaining 25lb's to go - I made a desperate move and saw a total quack of a Dr. that gave me black beauties (it was the late 80's) and I lost the rest of the weight. It was an unhealthy end to what had been such a successful weight loss but once I stopped with the pills, I slowly started eating poorly and over the following 3-4 years, gained all the weight back and then some.

I understand your question. I deeply understand it. I can only speak for myself, and the short answer is "YES" I can lose weight without surgery. The longer answer is that after struggling for 50 years, I am tired and need something that will not only help me lose the weight but more importantly help with maintaining this for the rest of my life because unlike the "YES" answer to losing the weight it has proven to be a hard "NO" about being able to maintain for any length of time.

I refuse to beat myself up any longer by asking myself if I could have done this on my own. I have a proven track record of NOT being able to sustain a weight loss. I have made a mental shift to not focus on that type of thinking but rather look forward and embrace where I am now - 2 weeks out from surgery and 25lbs lighter.

I think anyone can lose weight.
I have lost hundreds (yes, hundreds) of pounds over my lifetime. I have been fat my entire life. I was also an athlete, so, when I was younger, I was able to manage being a bigger girl because even though I was 180lbs at 5'5" in high school - I was strong. I am going to be 50 this year, and even though I am active, I am definitely limited with what activities I can do at my current weight (300lbs).
I have been in and out of weight watchers since I was 12. Have done every diet that has EVER existed (seriously, can anyone say/smell cabbage soup). I have yo-yo'ed my entire life. Some diets more successful than others. When I was in my twenties, I had my most success with a nutritionist. I lost about 80lbs with her and when I couldn't get the remaining 25lb's to go - I made a desperate move and saw a total quack of a Dr. that gave me black beauties (it was the late 80's) and I lost the rest of the weight. It was an unhealthy end to what had been such a successful weight loss but once I stopped with the pills, I slowly started eating poorly and over the following 3-4 years, gained all the weight back and then some.
I understand your question. I deeply understand it. I can only speak for myself, and the short answer is "YES" I can lose weight without surgery. The longer answer is that after struggling for 50 years, I am tired and need something that will not only help me lose the weight but more importantly help with maintaining this for the rest of my life because unlike the "YES" answer to losing the weight it has proven to be a hard "NO" about being able to maintain for any length of time.
I refuse to beat myself up any longer by asking myself if I could have done this on my own. I have a proven track record of NOT being able to sustain a weight loss. I have made a mental shift to not focus on that type of thinking but rather look forward and embrace where I am now - 2 weeks out from surgery and 25lbs lighter.

Congratulations on your surgery! Sounds like all is going well so far [emoji4] I'm glad you get where I'm coming from. Looks like you've done a hell of alot to lose some weight. Maintaining seems to be everybody's main issue! I put on weight so quickly! I'd lose 3lb one week and put on 4 the next, completely all over the place, and some weeks not lose at all. Absolutely frustrating and I can't wait for that to be a thing of the past! Thanks for your reply xxx

CW 238
GW 133

18 hours ago, JeezLouise91 said:

I really hope it does. I've read some articles that say that some people develop depression after the surgery. Hopefully because I've been through it on occasion I'll be able to manage it better. If it did actually improve my mind that would be amazing though! Glad someone else understands what it does to you mentally and physically! I wish you even more success in the future xxx

CW 238
GW 133

I for sure had some mild depression and regret directly after the surgery but as time went on and I was losing weight and getting ahold of my diet better I started to feel better over all. I think being prepared and knowing it can happen allows you to better take control of the situation going into it.

I went on my first diet when I was 8 years old. I lost 30 pounds. I of course regained it and lost weight many many many times. Weight watchers, TOPs meetings, exercise, starvation diets combined with ridiculous amount of exercise (I got very slim and crazy on that one!), the hormone one, medically supervised fast, etc. - so many I don't even remember.

I got the lapband in 2001 but didn't do well with it and never got under 200#

But in the end - by the time I was in my late 40s I weighed close to 350 pounds. I think it was the hormone one combined with starving (500 calories a day) got me down to my SLEEVE surgical start weight of 308 (6 years ago). I was so hungry all the time pre-sleeve; food was just an obsession. My life has been so much better since getting to a normal weight and having more normal hunger.

My actual point is that I do think you need to feel like you have tried so that you take the surgery seriously, and are compliant and all that - but - I am telling you - once you are obese it is VERY difficult to lose and maintain weight and the older you get, it is even harder. It isn't a moral failing - and I am guessing that even IF had you tried every crazy diet out there you maybe could of lost weight, unlikely to have kept it off.

I think this is great question for this board. And I’m sure that you want to hear people’s stories, but I believe the key here is - you are asking this of yourself.

Did you try hard enough to lose weight without surgery?

And what you are really asking is “do I deserve surgery?”

The answer is yes. Yes yes yes. You deserve to make any decisions you feel is right for your health.

There isnt anything that says “this is when you have tried hard enough” and now you get surgery. Would you have a heart attack and make yourself run and eat well instead of taking a medication to control your blood pressure? No. You wouldn’t pass up on an excellent medical invention that could help your disease and save your life.

This post could be a mile long for me. Dieting in itself has been shown to fail. And it fails for many many reasons. Weight loss is extremely complex. Statistically speaking, this surgery works for most people. Wayyyyy more than dieting.

Take it. You deserve it.

Up until I checked into the hospital I wondered if I could do it on my own or if I had tried hard enough. I am 55 years old. I have dieted my whole life. Once I exercised an hour a day for 6 months lost 30 lbs only to put it all back on plus some. When I got over 200 lbs I started diet pills and tried to fit in exercise. When my health started going down hill too fast I knew I wasn't going to do it in my own or I would have already. This surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself. My health is better- I feel better than I ever have. It is not the easy way out but was the only way out for me. Wasn't cosmetic, was essential.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 172.8 GW 135

I went on my first diet when I was 8 years old. I lost 30 pounds. I of course regained it and lost weight many many many times. Weight watchers, TOPs meetings, exercise, starvation diets combined with ridiculous amount of exercise (I got very slim and crazy on that one!), the hormone one, medically supervised fast, etc. - so many I don't even remember.
I got the lapband in 2001 but didn't do well with it and never got under 200#
But in the end - by the time I was in my late 40s I weighed close to 350 pounds. I think it was the hormone one combined with starving (500 calories a day) got me down to my SLEEVE surgical start weight of 308 (6 years ago). I was so hungry all the time pre-sleeve; food was just an obsession. My life has been so much better since getting to a normal weight and having more normal hunger.
My actual point is that I do think you need to feel like you have tried so that you take the surgery seriously, and are compliant and all that - but - I am telling you - once you are obese it is VERY difficult to lose and maintain weight and the older you get, it is even harder. It isn't a moral failing - and I am guessing that even IF had you tried every crazy diet out there you maybe could of lost weight, unlikely to have kept it off.

Thank you, that certainly makes me feel alot better. I'm so glad you're having success with your surgery! Can't wait to be on the other side with you. I'll definitely be reading through these comments the night before [emoji28]

CW 238
GW 133

I think this is great question for this board. And I’m sure that you want to hear people’s stories, but I believe the key here is - you are asking this of yourself.

Did you try hard enough to lose weight without surgery?
And what you are really asking is “do I deserve surgery?”

The answer is yes. Yes yes yes. You deserve to make any decisions you feel is right for your health.

There isnt anything that says “this is when you have tried hard enough” and now you get surgery. Would you have a heart attack and make yourself run and eat well instead of taking a medication to control your blood pressure? No. You wouldn’t pass up on an excellent medical invention that could help your disease and save your life.

This post could be a mile long for me. Dieting in itself has been shown to fail. And it fails for many many reasons. Weight loss is extremely complex. Statistically speaking, this surgery works for most people. Wayyyyy more than dieting.

Take it. You deserve it.

I really liked that point about the heart attack. Thank you, I am starting to feel alot better about it! I do deserve this [emoji16]

CW 238
GW 133

Up until I checked into the hospital I wondered if I could do it on my own or if I had tried hard enough. I am 55 years old. I have dieted my whole life. Once I exercised an hour a day for 6 months lost 30 lbs only to put it all back on plus some. When I got over 200 lbs I started diet pills and tried to fit in exercise. When my health started going down hill too fast I knew I wasn't going to do it in my own or I would have already. This surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself. My health is better- I feel better than I ever have. It is not the easy way out but was the only way out for me. Wasn't cosmetic, was essential.

Mich W

I'm really happy that even though you had the same thoughts as me you don't regret anything. Sounds like the surgery was definitely for you!

CW 238
GW 133

I'm really happy that even though you had the same thoughts as me you don't regret anything. Sounds like the surgery was definitely for you!

CW 238
GW 133

Definitely. The lady checking me I. At the hospital told me I didn't need surgery- I wasn't big enough. Big help (not) made me question it but I don't question it at all now!
You'll do great. Good luck!

Mich W

I had been dieting ever since high school, often losing good chunks of weight, but never could keep it off. At one point I lost nearly 100 lbs and was close to an ideal weight for about 5 years then slowly gained back to my highest ever. The fact that I had done it once before made the decision for surgery even harder... then my DR asked for a weight loss history. I wrote it all down and realized that while I lost weight I couldn't keep it off and that was one of the main drivers for the surgery. Just to prove it to myself before deciding to do the surgery i decided to do the same diet, just without surgery. I stuck to it for 4 weeks, was miserable, but lost 30 lbs (600 - 800 cals per day). Then I gained it all back plus another 10. That's when I decided I couldn't do it on my own and that I was running out of time before I had some kind of major health issue. No regrets - the important part is that you get to a healthy weight and avoid all the problems you would otherwise face. It doesn't matter how you get there, WLS is definitely not cheating and so far for me its as hard as any diet I've ever done, the one difference is I can't cheat or stop, my body won't physically let me.

Hang in there and don't worry about if you tried hard enough, worry about doing this for yourself and taking care of yourself.

I definitely thought, "Maybe I didn't try hard enough" and in fact, I started seeing the Nutritionist at the surgeon's office with the intention of NOT having surgery, just accountability, because my insurance wouldn't pay for a nutritionist otherwise. But, after a few months, I started realizing that I was really good at short term and really really bad at long term. I turned 50 in June and decided that it was now. I needed an extra tool to help past the 40 or 50 pounds that I lost at least 10 times, then gained back and always more. I was 6 when my mom took me to Weight Watchers the first time. That's a whole other story, of course, but that started the yo-yoing that lasted 44 years.

I feel like I did it just in time....before menopause and before any serious health issues (other than sleep apnea). I'm not going to say these three months of have been easy at all, but so far, I'm still glad that I did it.

Good luck to you and don't doubt yourself. Seriously! Happy New Year!