Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious COLD FEET!!!!!

I'm getting serious cold feet!!! I go in tomorrow morning for my gastric bypass. I've been a nervous mess all day today. Any tips and advice would be seriously appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok. I will give it a go. Write down a list of all the things you cannot do now that bettering your health through this surgery will give you the freedom to do. Maybe this will help remind you of why you are doing this, why you started the whole process to begin with.

I am post op day 14. I remember being nervous the night before, but once I got to the hospital back in the pre surgery area I felt much better. I think you will too.

Tonight, do not read about negative outcomes. Try cruising Instagram or YouTube for some weight loss success stories instead.

Best wishes to you.

I had the sleeve, not the switch. I am 41 lbs down from my pre-op weight, and am 7 weeks out. I wish I did this years ago. I have another 40-45 to lose but here are my benefits so far:

1. Life is not ruled by food, i am no longer stopping for a snack on the road, or hitting drive thrus etc. I do not miss it at all!!

2. I am fitting into my jeans, and dress pants for work. Boots that I ordered 2 yrs ago from Zappo's sat in my closet...I could not zip them up due to my chubby calves. Well, they fit now and look great with leggings.

3. My face looks thin, sometimes I glance in the mirror and feel like, what the hell, I look like I did when I was 21! (ok, maybe not that good...but still....)

4. My knees do not hurt, I go up and down the 2 flights at work that we all frequent, from offices to classrooms. I do not use the elevator.

5. More energy, more motivation to focus on career and fitness and life goals.

6. I am getting on a flight in a few days...and I won't feel all squished in the airline seat.

7. I am saving a ton of money on groceries and restaurant bills! I no longer plan my weekends around going out to eat etc., we do other things, or I go and just have a small portion, take it home, I can eat of it for days. Things like a roasted veggies, or a can of peach slices or a can of re-fried Beans sit in the fridge and I toss them before I even finish them.

8. So far, I have no issues with diabetes, hypertension, etc...mostly just my knees. Now that I am getting healthier, losing fat, I no longer wonder/worry about hypertension and diabetes. Some of my friends are dealing with these issues.

So many positives, there are more, but that is a good start. However, there have been times I "miss" eating a bunch of good stuff at a party or going out. I have learned that I can have fun without using food as a crutch, as a buddy. I eat slowly, and eat a fraction of what i would have before. the whole process is really about changing your relationship with food, and how it runs your life, and your body. I am happy to say I think I am doing that.

I highly recommend Dr Mathew Weiner's videos on YouTube...excellent topics and advice.

I guess my question to you would be what is holding you back? What is fueling that "cold feet" feeling?

I am so glad I did this, I cannot wait to hit my goal weight and really keep on enjoying and living life. Like I said, my only regret is not doing this years ago!

I can’t really offer much more advice than what’s already been said but I am 48 days post-op RNY and feel better than I’ve felt in years!!! These surgeries really do give us a better quality of life!

Hi SampTheChamp

I am only four days post surgery. The night before I wanted to cancel. But I didn’t - and it turns out the surgery wasn’t so hard. My experience was that the worry was way worse than the surgery.

So now it is done, and when you are done, we just become people who rise to each new challenge - can’t eat THAT, so I’ll try this instead. Can’t eat that much? Ok, so now I do smaller portions.

Here in New Zealand they transition you to food much quicker than I see in the US. I had puréed fish for lunch. 2 teaspoons of it. Heaven.

As they say here, Kia kaha, SampTheChamp, Kia kaha. Be strong, SampTheChamp, you are strong.

Edited by Biddynz

Ok. I will give it a go. Write down a list of all the things you cannot do now that bettering your health through this surgery will give you the freedom to do. Maybe this will help remind you of why you are doing this, why you started the whole process to begin with.
I am post op day 14. I remember being nervous the night before, but once I got to the hospital back in the pre surgery area I felt much better. I think you will too.
Tonight, do not read about negative outcomes. Try cruising Instagram or YouTube for some weight loss success stories instead.
Best wishes to you.

Thank you. I'm good. I am definitely ready for this. It's just that the fear of the unknown and to know that my life will forever be changed tomorrow morning. It's gonna be good.

I had the sleeve, not the switch. I am 41 lbs down from my pre-op weight, and am 7 weeks out. I wish I did this years ago. I have another 40-45 to lose but here are my benefits so far:
1. Life is not ruled by food, i am no longer stopping for a snack on the road, or hitting drive thrus etc. I do not miss it at all!!
2. I am fitting into my jeans, and dress pants for work. Boots that I ordered 2 yrs ago from Zappo's sat in my closet...I could not zip them up due to my chubby calves. Well, they fit now and look great with leggings.
3. My face looks thin, sometimes I glance in the mirror and feel like, what the hell, I look like I did when I was 21! (ok, maybe not that good...but still....)
4. My knees do not hurt, I go up and down the 2 flights at work that we all frequent, from offices to classrooms. I do not use the elevator.
5. More energy, more motivation to focus on career and fitness and life goals.
6. I am getting on a flight in a few days...and I won't feel all squished in the airline seat.
7. I am saving a ton of money on groceries and restaurant bills! I no longer plan my weekends around going out to eat etc., we do other things, or I go and just have a small portion, take it home, I can eat of it for days. Things like a roasted veggies, or a can of peach slices or a can of re-fried Beans sit in the fridge and I toss them before I even finish them.
8. So far, I have no issues with diabetes, hypertension, etc...mostly just my knees. Now that I am getting healthier, losing fat, I no longer wonder/worry about hypertension and diabetes. Some of my friends are dealing with these issues.
So many positives, there are more, but that is a good start. However, there have been times I "miss" eating a bunch of good stuff at a party or going out. I have learned that I can have fun without using food as a crutch, as a buddy. I eat slowly, and eat a fraction of what i would have before. the whole process is really about changing your relationship with food, and how it runs your life, and your body. I am happy to say I think I am doing that.
I highly recommend Dr Mathew Weiner's videos on YouTube...excellent topics and advice.
I guess my question to you would be what is holding you back? What is fueling that "cold feet" feeling?
I am so glad I did this, I cannot wait to hit my goal weight and really keep on enjoying and living life. Like I said, my only regret is not doing this years ago!

Congrats man. I definitely understand your points. I'm ready, just really nervous!

Hi SampTheChamp
I am only four days post surgery. The night before I wanted to cancel. But I didn’t - and it turns out the surgery wasn’t so hard. My experience was that the worry was way worse than the surgery.
So now it is done, and when you are done, we just become people who rise to each new challenge - can’t eat THAT, so I’ll try this instead. Can’t eat that much? Ok, so now I do smaller portions.
Here in New Zealand they transition you to food much quicker than I see in the US. I had puréed fish for lunch. 2 teaspoons of it. Heaven.
As they say here, Kia kaha, SampTheChamp, Kia kaha. Be strong, SampTheChamp, you are strong.

Thank you for the kind words

1 hour ago, ProfessorSlim said:

absolutely. x 1,000. watch all of them. then watch them again. by far the best resource to get thru this. for both pre and post surgery.

56 minutes ago, Biddynz said:

it turns out the surgery wasn’t so hard. My experience was that the worry was way worse than the surgery.

this says it all. the worry definitely WAY worse than the surgery. it's all a mind game. the nurses take such goddamn good care of you, sometimes i wish i could go back and do it again. lol... it was like going to a spa.

you GOT THIS, SAMP THE CHAMP!!!!!!!

this says it all. the worry definitely WAY worse than the surgery. it's all a mind game. the nurses take such goddamn good care of you, sometimes i wish i could go back and do it again. lol... it was like going to a spa.

Thanks bro!!!

That was me the night before surgery, and even being wheeled into the operating room. Hang in there. Remember why you are doing this!! Its really hard I am not going to lie. A lot harder then I thought it would be. I am about 3 weeks out. I have done exceptionally well. No problems, no sickness. The hardest part is the emotions. Mine were all over the place, still are on occasion. Best advice I can give is to surround yourself with positivity. Positive people, positive articles and posts. Stay clear of anything remotely negative. That can just let those crappy feelings seep in and those are not helpful. You are making a drastic change, one that is going to change your life forever, for the better! Right now you need to feel uplifted and supported. Just know you aren't alone. I am happy to talk with you anytime you need someone to listen!

That was me the night before surgery, and even being wheeled into the operating room. Hang in there. Remember why you are doing this!! Its really hard I am not going to lie. A lot harder then I thought it would be. I am about 3 weeks out. I have done exceptionally well. No problems, no sickness. The hardest part is the emotions. Mine were all over the place, still are on occasion. Best advice I can give is to surround yourself with positivity. Positive people, positive articles and posts. Stay clear of anything remotely negative. That can just let those crappy feelings seep in and those are not helpful. You are making a drastic change, one that is going to change your life forever, for the better! Right now you need to feel uplifted and supported. Just know you aren't alone. I am happy to talk with you anytime you need someone to listen!

Thanks my friend!

2 hours ago, JohnnyCakes said:

absolutely. x 1,000. watch all of them. then watch them again. by far the best resource to get thru this. for both pre and post surgery.

Nice. Feels good to know I'm waiting on my spa day :lol:

Also a huge +1 to everyone who has shouted out Dr. Weiner's videos. His videos are the first resource that made me feel I could actually permanently change my eating habits and actually enjoy it and gain the great health that comes with eating a diet largely based on plants. For a long time I assumed I'd have to be Keto after surgery and I have never enjoyed that type of eating. In addition to all that, he breaks everything down to the nitty gritty, science-wise, so you can really understand and soak up the information. Those videos are wonderful!

Thinking of you today Samp the Champ...

2 minutes ago, Biddynz said:

Thinking of you today Samp the Champ...

Same. Hopefully he will post with a quick update and let us know he is okay when he feels up to it.