Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months post-op....weight loss stopped and frustrated!!!

I’m 9 months post-op and my weight loss has completely stopped. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Eating every 2-3 hours. 60-80 grams of Protein daily. Drinking Water. Exercising some. My surgeon is not happy with my lack of progress. I have no answers. Is a plateau like this common after surgery or am I doing something wrong and just don’t realize it???

HELP!!!! Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks

No advice, but I am also feeling some frustration. I am 7 weeks post op, I lost 41 from mt 1-week-pre-op weight. The past 2 weeks I have fluctuated between 223-221. I am in a stall, and do not know what to do. My day is usually:

Protein Shake

soft cheese triangle and 4 crackers, 5-7 cashews and 2 baby carrots is usually my lunch, or slice of cheese slice of turkey, rolled together, and 1-2 baby carrots

Protein and veg of some sort for dinner

Water and Decaf tea all day.

I just started working out, classes at the gym or walking.

Sorry for the Hi-jacking here! Hope you get som egood advice to get the loss going again!

In order to give the best advice, I would have to know a bit more about your journey. Is the weight loss in your profile correct at 30 pounds? What do you actually eat in a day, and is that consistent? You can hit your Protein, and Water requirements by eating burgers and drinking water every few hours, so I would need to know more.

I will say that a 30 pound weight loss in 9 months is rather slow if that is the case. You should probably get with your nutritionist to make sure that your eating plan is on point. If it is, then I would follow up with your doctor. There can be a lot at play here. You can be eating too many calories per sitting, and not moving enough to burn off the excess. You could be eating the wrong types of foods. Some spike blood sugar, and some do not. You could have underlying health issues that haven't yet been determined, like a thyroid issue, for example. You could have a gluten sensitivity, but be eating lots of bread. There might even be a combination of these things and others not mentioned. So, I would hit up the nutritionist first, and if find that you are doing everything right and still not seeing progress...I would definitely follow up with my doctor for consultation and additional testing.

To the other poster, keep doing what you are doing. Stalls are going to happen no matter what you do. Your body is adjusting to these changes that you have made in your diet and/or exercise regimen. You will no doubt continue to lose inches during this time so don't fret. You will continue your descent in no time.

Good luck!

I need to update my profile but I’m only down 50 pounds. I saw the nutritionist the other week. She didn’t have much to offer. I told her what I was eating and my typical day. She gave me some recipes and snack ideas (cuz I’m getting tired of what I’ve been eating) for a bigger variety and encouraged me to drink more Water. I’m down now about 5 pounds since our meeting so I guess that puts me at 55 pounds which is still not very much for 9 months. I’m going to start a eating log and go back to the nutritionist next year to reevaluate. I’d like to be down a total of 75 pounds by my birthday in March. Thanks for the advice

Without knowing what you’re eating I’d guess that you’re eating too many calories. Focus on these steps and see if you get better results.

1. Log everything you consume with an app like MyFitnessPal (MFP).

2. Do not drink with meals; instead wait 30-60 minutes after eating.

3. Weigh/ measure your food with a scale as we don’t always eyeball portion sizes correctly.

4. Eat dense Protein first then non-starchy vegetables. Fill up on these items before eating other foods. And minimize consumption of processed food (e.g. crackers, bread, Protein Bars, etc.).

5. Do not chase being full.

6. If you’re consuming artificial sweeteners, try limiting or stopping them as some studies indicate they may lead to weight gain.

7. Walk as much as possible in your day-to-day life.

Good luck, you can do this!

I already do numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. You may have a point with #6. I love my tea & coffee [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] wonder why my nutritionist didn’t figure that out because I told her. She only said to be careful with the caffeine because it can cause dehydration. I’m going to try this and see what happens. Thanks a lot!

The study on sweeteners is junk science.

You might try a couple things - change the types of food you are having because you are eating the same things over and over and you need to shake it up. Up your Protein to 100grams and up your Water as well and calories by 200 for three days. If you aren't eating fish - try that, eat a sweet potato instead of carrots, etc. Then drop calories back down. And hit the treadmill a little more.

I'm not sure what your SW was but I see we are both vertically challenged (I might have rounded up in my profile :rolleyes:). The downside is that our metabolic rate is tied to our muscle mass which is tied to our height. If you crunch through the numbers using the BMR calculators, by the time you get to the 150's-ish, you're only expending something like 1300 calories a day without exercise, less if you're older. At 9 months out, eating anything less than 900-1000 calories seems to be unsustainable so the effect of diet on weight loss will slow to a drip-drip pace. It's depressing, I know. Obviously you can increase your calories out by doing any calorie-burning exercising but increasing your muscle mass, through a combination of Protein and weight training, will have a persistent effect on your metabolism.

I concur with all the advice offered already but will add it can't be emphasized enough that weight loss is incredibly lumpy. I had a long 1-2 month stall at 9 months and now at 11 months, the pounds are coming off again. Sometimes the weight loss is quicker than what I saw in month 3 or 4. The improved results coincides with the time when I switched my exercise routine from cardio to weight training. Nowdays, I do a mix of both. Weight training has improved my cardio speed/endurance in magnitudes that doing cardio alone never could. So now on the 2 days a week when I am doing cardio, I can run long for a fixed period which of course increases my calorie expenditure as well.

Edited by forgetmenot

Along these 13 months since my sleeve surgery, to get the weight off, I absolutely MUST get in at least 100 grams of Protein a day or else my body refuses to lose weight. I second the motion to increase your protein.

I eat avocado, almonds, salmon. Those are my 3 go to good fats. It helps with my stalls and energy levels. I also add more Water and take away artificial sweeteners. Instead of a protien shake I'll substitute it with almonds or half a salmon. Some good guacamole on my chicken.< br>
Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Drop useless carbs and anything sweet tasting. No fruit, breads, sweeteners. Get rid of sweet things and you won’t want them any more. My treat is 85-90% dark chocolate which at that low of sugar is like anti oxidant medicine. Lol.

i agree with the advice to keep up the healthy fat. Fat from clean animals, including butter, and the other ones mentioned. Olive oil, coconut oil, etc. fatty fish.

And huge focus on animal Protein. Carbs, use potatoes and sweet potatoes, other veggies. Can do a couple oz of seeds Beans or nuts IF they aren’t sliders for you. Otherwise don’t use them during a stall. I need seeds to keep me regular. Even just a bit of ground flax seeds really can help.