Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Immediate post-op food ideas- pureed foods at 3 days post-op

I've tried looking for some immediate post-op food ideas and have come across a lot of information for people further post-op (for example 7 weeks) but not for much immediately post-op. I understand everyone's post-op diet varies and am trying to figure out what I can prepare/meal prep before surgery for post-op.

My surgeon's post-op plan :

Day 1- no food

Day 2-no food. Water, ice chips, SF fluids, broth, Decaf coffee/tea, SF ice pops.

Days 3-14 1-2oz pureed (mushy) soft, high Protein meals. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, canned tuna, ground chicken and ground turkey. From what I've read, not very many people start mushy or pureed foods at 3 days post-op....

Just looking for some ideas.

Not only that, but no many people are allowed meat at 3 days post-op either. I couldn't have it until 4 weeks post-op. I would suggest taking it slowly...as slowly as you can. I would not eat ground turkey or chicken on day 3. It took me 2 days just to be able to knock out a few ounces of broth. I didn't even want the Jello that they were giving me with every meal.

That full sensation is like nothing you've ever felt before. Your stomach now feels as though it is underneath your sternum bone. It is so weird. Anyway, lots of people don't do well with meat in any form for a little while, and I think that the yogurt, cottage cheese, Protein Shakes, and broths are going to feel better to you going down.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get over the quick progression from Water, ice chips and broth one day, and tuna, ground chicken and turkey the next. Please verify that, and whatever you do, eat super slowly and chew, chew, chew.

Good luck!

I liked this recipe for advancing slowly. It’s a bunch of cheese and sauce basically but it’s good! This lady’s whole blog has been helpful to me.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html?m=1

Our plan was similar, starting with purees and soft foods as tolerated, along with liquids, from the hospital on out. They had been doing sleeves for some twenty years in their practice at that point, so I figure they know what it can tolerate. The general rule was to try new things one at a time to test for tolerance. I can't quite remember what I had when, but certainly had yogurt,-eggs, Soups - starting with straining any chunks, then mashing up the chunks, cheeses, etc. The majority of the Protein was from shakes at first, and that gives you the flexibility to try other things in between to see how you are progressing. Some have more inflammation in the stomach than others, so will be less tolerant of non-liquids for a while. YMMV. Take it slow and easy, and get all your Water in. I would tend to leave the meats toward a little later in the progression, and the moister, fatter dark meat poultry tends to go down better than the drier white meat.

For having on hand ahead of time, I would suggest some yogurt, eggs and a selection of soups, from broth based to cream based and chunky. Jello made with protein is also a good early food for getting your protein in - whatever your dietary allowances in your program, you will likely still be getting most of your protein from supplements for a while, as you just can't eat much of any other protein sources to do the job, yogurt and eggs being the main ones that you will likely be able to have an any useful quantity.

Thank you all so much!

I got these 2 things from GNC today:

1. GENEPRO Medical Grade Unflavored 30g Protein Powder

2. (2) bottles of Isopure Zero Carb Protein Ready-To-Drink

And I have one 12-pack of MuscleMilk. I think that's going to be it for now, as far as supplements.< /span>

What are your thoughts on Vitamins immediately post-op as well?

Thank you all so much!
I got these 2 things from GNC today:
1. GENEPRO Medical Grade Unflavored 30g Protein Powder
2. (2) bottles of Isopure Zero Carb Protein Ready-To-Drink
And I have one 12-pack of MuscleMilk. I think that's going to be it for now, as far as supplements.

What are your thoughts on Vitamins immediately post-op as well?

I have the Isopure zero carb! I don’t love it but it’s tolerable. And in regards to Vitamins, my program was very specific on when to start. I take Journey bariatric vitamins 2x/day and that started week 2. I start calcium citrate week 4. Also 2x/day.