Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 6 weeks po and I'm feeling very lost and depressed. Not many people know about my surgery so I feel very alone in my journey. I'm currently in a 3 week stall and I am realizing now after surgery that I really have a problem with food. Its been a challenge.

I do not regret my surgery, but I am afraid of failing and I feel like I am. I don't know how to get motivated to eat right and exercise. I don't know what or how to eat. I don't know how to get over my food addiction and "head hunger".

Has anyone here ever felt like this after surgery? Or maybe someone has some advice?

I am 6 weeks po and I'm feeling very lost and depressed. Not many people know about my surgery so I feel very alone in my journey. I'm currently in a 3 week stall and I am realizing now after surgery that I really have a problem with food. Its been a challenge.
I do not regret my surgery, but I am afraid of failing and I feel like I am. I don't know how to get motivated to eat right and exercise. I don't know what or how to eat. I don't know how to get over my food addiction and "head hunger".
Has anyone here ever felt like this after surgery? Or maybe someone has some advice?

First off hugs. I suffer from depression and anxiety so this journey has had a lot up and downs. My first thought would be a therapist. This is TRULY a hard thing to adjust to. Second... You will not regret this a year from now. Go through all your paperwork or even Pinterest for ideas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 7 weeks post op. I am mostly super-happy that I did this, but I do have those moments that you described. I also chose to tell a limited few (one very good friend and my 3 teenagers) so I do have support, but I really do not feel like discussing it alot, esp with my kids. Sooooo...this place comes in handy for support! Read other people's experiences, also watch Dr.Weiner's videos on Youtube, I find them very motivating.

Now that it is the Holiday season, there are more opportunities where I "miss" being able to eat and enjoy eating. I made Cookies with my kids last night, and had 1 cookie, a small handful of M&M's, and a few tastes as we baked.......and I was grossly stuffed. I was partly glad, because it stopped me from continued nibbling. What I ate was less than 1/4 of what I would have eaten pre-sleeve. I am VERY glad that I am not able to "go off the wagon" But there are a few times that I miss the eating.

However, I am enjoying the new, slimmer me much more than the ability to over-eat and eat junk. My daily diet is very healthy, and small, (only 7 weeks post-op, so still limited volume) and I am really enjoying my loss of 41lbs (from my 1-week pre-op weight) and enjoying fitting into jeans and other clothing.

Hang in there, you will get used to this way of life, I am super happy that I made this choice, the regrets are very, very few, and I hope you will feel the same very soon!

I am sorry that you are going through this. You are not alone in these feelings that you have. The important thing to remember is that surgery does not change your mind. I would suggest that surgery can bring up a whole new mess of feelings that you actually may not have even experienced before. It is important to speak to a therapist, or at least someone in your circle whom you trust will support you.

Head hunger is real, but that doesn't mean that you have to succumb to your food addiction. I often hear my daughter tell me that she is hungry only to refuse all of the food that I offer her. She would prefer something "good", which is basically junk food or fast food. I tell her, "Well, then you aren't hungry." If you are feeling hunger, whether it be head hunger or real hunger, you are not at all let off of the hook from making good decisions. Grab an apple, make a salad, a turkey roll up. Don't reach for chips, Cookies, etc. That is not going to get rid of your hunger. It is just going to make you feel bad.

I say this with the understanding that nobody is going to be perfect. The other poster's example of making and sampling cookies with the kids is life. It is bonding. It is memories. You don't have to stop living just because you have had wls. Just make health a priority. Plan ahead. Get active. This takes work, but I promise you will be successful if you adhere to it for the long-term.

You can do this. Get with your nutritionist about setting a new plan for you if you need it. Don't kill yourself over stumbling, but get back to basics immediately. Success means doing the right things 80-90% of the time. If you have a cookie or a burger or fries every 9 or 10 days, but are on point every day in between, you are going to be golden. Also, try to switch it up a bit. Make good healthy substitutions as much as possible.

Right now, you can't eat much. A few bites of a burger may just be 1-200 calories. Pretty soon, you are going to be able to eat a whole burger. That 6-700 calories is going to hurt. By switching to a turkey burger, removing the mayo and ketchup, and having it open face with no top bun, you can cut the calories, fat and carbs dramatically. Develop good habits now, and put in the foundation that is going to help you in the future.

I wish you the best of luck.

5 hours ago, Melaninbarbie said:

Thank you for posting this- it is me and exactly what I’ve been struggling with since my surgery on Oct 31. I’ve sought out a therapist that deals with eating disorders because clearly I have many!!

Frankly, I don’t post here because it’s so drama filled and judgmental, the goal and importance of supporting one another is lost with posters personal desire to “be right”. We struggle, we hurt over this and we should be there to pick each other up with kindness not drama and bashing because we effed up. That said, I am happy to read the advice you’ve been given.

Please PM me if you ever want to chat, we can be struggle buddies until we figure all this out. Best to you....

Did you go thru a program pre-op? For example, I have kaiser and I’m going through a 12 week class. We are learning a lot about nutrition and what to eat. I can send you some pictures of the meal plans if you need inspiration. Or is it that nothing sounds good?