Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does a lower BMI mean you'll lose less or slower?

Oops. Might help for me to reply instead of quote :P I have no idea what the answer is to the low BMI question, but I will say my BMI was 34 and my surgeon told me that made me a “perfect candidate” and I would do “exceedingly well” because of my lower BMI. Surgery was 11/28 and I’m down 22lbs. I think that’s pretty darn good for a “low BMIer”

5 hours ago, Tealael said:

Does a lower BMI mean you'll lose less or slower?

Slower, yes but not necessarily "less". Fat costs energy to maintain so as you lose weight, your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) goes down.

I started out with something like a 2,800 calorie TDEE but now I'm down to 2,000. Went from losing 5lb a week to 1lb in the final stretch.

My process was just over three months. Started beginning of September, surgery December 7. My insurance approval went through in less than a week, and I was fortunate to get appointments with the psychologist, nurse, and nutritionist quickly.

I had 4 weeks between seeing my first doc and my surgery. I was not a voluntary patient, it was medically required or I'd die. I went through a lot of emotions and regrets right after because it was a reluctant process for me. Now? I regret not being able to do it 20 years ago. 3 Months post surgery? I was skipping around singing everyday, over the moon happy. :)

I think you'll do GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About 5 weeks from the first appointment until surgery. Its pretty straight forward in Australia, no insurance hoops to jump through. It could have been sooner but I wanted to wait a couple more weeks to thing it all through.

Hi everyone,
I decided to have surgery after a small amount of time (one week after first seminar with extremely diligent research of various medical journals and studies ) and from my first meeting with the surgeon to surgery date was only five months. I feel like the brevity of the experience was an advantage for me not to talk myself out of it. Anyone else have a fairly quick experience?

Yes. I started my journey on December 4th of last year and was operated on July 18th. It was less than 7 months. I was so focused on all of my appointments and things I had to get done for my insurance to approve that I never had time to worry about it. I was sleeved 5 months ago and am down a total of 102 lbs since surgery. But almost 120 total since starting my journey. I look like a completely different person and feel amazing. No more sleep apnea and no more diabetes!!!! U will do. Great

I was self-pay and low BMI. I had surgery within 2 months of speaking with the surgeon and I lost all my excess weight in 5 months so I wasn’t a slow loser.

Although I had thought about it for a couple of years once I finally got serious my process was less than 2 months. My insurance was easy to work with. I had my first consult in early August 2016 and my VSG on Halloween. Even my pre-op diet was easy, 3 days of low carb and no caffeine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app