Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60+ years in age

12 hours ago, CaliforniaCandy said:

@FluffyChix

You have been through so much. Why were you denied RNY before? It seems to me you have enough comorbidities to warrant insurance coverage.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

candy

They said in Texas, that we had a manditory 6 month RD program. The way it's written it says 3-6 months, discretionary. And when my doc had a peer to peer, they told her that only some states allow 3 months. So now I'm back in the thick of it. Luckily, I didn't miss a month at the RD's and am just continuing. I will have the last mandated appointment in early Feb. So it's not so bad. Many have to do 6 months--my big issue was that my hopes were up and I had mentally prepared for 3 months. Change is hard. Right? :D Wah, cry me a river, right? :D

All great reasons for wls! You're only two and a half weeks away. Are you on a preop diet?

This will be one of the best decisions you've ever made. You can do this!!!

Candy

Hi, Candy! Yes, I started my pre-op liver shrinking diet today. This is so hard, especially when people around you eat regular food. The other thing that is particularly hard for me is that my pre-op plan normally allows you to have certain non-starchy veggies, but because I MAY have gastroparesis (I have not been formally diagnosed with this condition), my NUT told me that I should NOT include the allowed veggies. So frustrating because I really think I would do well on this plan until surgery if only I could have the veggies!!! As it is now, it’s liquids only (protein shakes, sugar free drinks like Crystal Light, low sodium broth, one sugar free popsicle a day and one sugar free Jello per day). My Protein requirement is 90 grams per day and I have an 80 ounce per day beverage requirement (which would include Water, the Protein Shakes, sugar free beverages and broth). I am at the end of day 1 and I am cranky, cranky, cranky!!!!) I have actually gained weight over the past 4 months because I was taken off the Belviq/phentermine combo I was on because my family doctor felt that because I was eventually going to have the VSG, that I should no longer take the weight loss meds. When my bariatric doctor saw me today, he didn’t seem too concerned, but the NUT went, well, nuts!!!! All I can say is that I will stick to the strict liquid diet until surgery, but they better not cancel my surgery if I don’t lose enough. The NUT basically told me that because I gained over the past 4 months, they may not do the surgery on 1/2. I think just stressing over this has me cranky.

Ah, hang in there, Maggie. Have you tried Protein Water? I've only recently heard about it but it sounds like a good way to push protein and water. I know you can get it online at jet.com plus land-based Target, Walmart, and the Bariatric Pal Store, plus other stores. Just Google it. Maybe that will help. Hang in there, you can do this, you really can!

They said in Texas, that we had a manditory 6 month RD program. The way it's written it says 3-6 months, discretionary. And when my doc had a peer to peer, they told her that only some states allow 3 months. So now I'm back in the thick of it. Luckily, I didn't miss a month at the RD's and am just continuing. I will have the last mandated appointment in early Feb. So it's not so bad. Many have to do 6 months--my big issue was that my hopes were up and I had mentally prepared for 3 months. Change is hard. Right? [emoji3] Wah, cry me a river, right? [emoji3]

Remind me: what insurance are you going through?

Well, at least you know it's three months. You know you can handle it. How are you handling the Water? That will be hard for me because I'm used to guzzling my water and I always drink to the guidelines. I don't know how I'll handle having to sip sip sip.

Anyway, just power through and remember we're all here for you! We can help you through this!!

Ah, hang in there, Maggie. Have you tried Protein Water? I've only recently heard about it but it sounds like a good way to push protein and water. I know you can get it online at jet.com plus land-based Target, Walmart, and the Bariatric Pal Store, plus other stores. Just Google it. Maybe that will help. Hang in there, you can do this, you really can!

Thanks! I do have the Premier Protein water too, both the tropical punch and the orange mango. It’s “real” food I miss. ☹️ I know it will get better.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:57 AM, CaliforniaCandy said:

I'm so happy you've been able to get off your meds. I understand all the meds you were on. I'm there.

Are you having any problems or has it been a smooth transition? I'm hoping you had a good post-op adjustment.

Keep us updated.

candy

Candy,

No problems making the transition. My medical team are great and they are on top of everything. It was a six month journey for me to get the insurance ok for the surgery. My only "problem" is how I now feel towards food. Food and I had a great relationship pre WLS. Now, I'm never hungry and I do not get any enjoyment from eating food. Like many in my monthly support group say, I used to live to eat, now I eat to live. I get my 80 grams of Protein in each day and struggle to get in the 64 ounces of fluids, but I do.

I'm taking Vitamins to keep my nutrition needs in check. A multi Vitamin, Calcium 2x a day (citrate not carbonate) and b12(sub lingual) I underwent WLS to get off my many meds. I'm off seven of nine meds that I was taking so, I consider this a success. Good luck to you and remember we are a keystroke away if you need us.

Can you guys shed light on why it's so hard to get Water in each day? I don't think I fully understand the issue--being pre-surg and all. My RD says I can drink water/clear liquids up to until about 15 minutes before eating--then 30-45 minutes after a meal. Is it that chugging isn't possible any longer? And we just forget? Or is it that it's physically uncomfortable to drink water?

Thanks!

@FluffyChix post-op it is the swelling and air intake that makes drinking fluids hard, you have only a little space and a small gulp feels like a boulder. And then things taste weird for awhile, and plain Water can be a little nauseating. Some things cause the ' 'slimes' or 'foamies' - like a slobbering St. Bernard...lol

It is all temporary though. I can take pretty good slugs now as long as it isn't five in a row - glug glug glug glug glug!!! I will still slime only if I take that 'one toke over the line' bite....then it's gotta come back up or be in misery. Learning curve for awhile....

My only issue is I have a fridge full of leftovers....I have a tiny serving of chili then don't want it for subsequent meals lol. So the current lineup in there is cream of chicken with extra canned chicken and some veg added, southwestern chicken Soup, turkey chili, some pork chop, some deli turkey, and meh I don't want any of it...picky picky picky lately

OK, I've gotta be a part of this cool club! Some of you are literally making me laugh out loud at your posts!

I'm Tess, and I'm on the path to a sleeve. I just turned 59, and the weight is really affecting my quality of life. I hurt. My knees, ankles, feet, back...I just hurt all over. Chronically. My blood pressure is horrible. My cholesterol is high and my triglycerides are high. I'm hypothyroid, I've got metabolic syndrome and I'm insulin resistant, and just a few creme puffs away from full-blown diabetes. Physically, I'm just so damn uncomfortable in this fat suit I've been wearing most of my life. I'm also one medium binge away from 300 lbs. Oh man, I cringe just typing that. How / Why did I get here???

I have issues with food...serious issues. My mother put my sister and I on diets pre-puberty (neither one of us were overweight) and all of my memories of food as a child are of being shamed for eating. Mostly by my mother, who had issues of her own, but by my grandmother and extended family members to some extent as well. Later as a pre-adolescent and into my teens, my mother basically just checked out as a parent and I fended for myself mostly.

The most exciting thing for me about going to a friend's home or to my grandparents:

THEY HAD FOOD IN THE HOUSE!

The most memorable part of my pre-teen and teen years living at home with my mother was that there was very rarely food in the house. My sister and I would raid the trunk of her car when she was sleeping, because she would usually have a cooler with delicious food in it...grapes, deli meats and cheeses, crackers, etc. that she would buy to share with one of her boyfriends. But she wouldn't buy groceries for my sister and I.
Anyway, I got married (at barely 16) to escape the wretched home life. Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire...but that's a whole 'nother story. The first time I went grocery shopping as a married girl I bought 2 big boxes of Captain Crunch cereal and ate it until the roof of my mouth was shredded. I wasn't the best cook at that age, but I made a mean hamburger helper. There are so many more stories I could tell, all which led me to where I am today. I really should write a book.

I have and will continue to work through my myriad issues with a therapist, because I KNOW that bariatric surgery isn't the magical answer to my problems...but I also know that it's a VERY powerful tool that can help me finally reach my goals of being a normal weight and being able to wear EVERYTHING in my closet.
I've spent 5 decades of my life fighting this dragon. My physiology and metabolism is so messed up now that no matter what I do, my body fights to hold on to every ounce. I can lose some weight but I very quickly hit a standstill and no matter what I do, no more pounds will come off. I'm tired of living like this. So so tired. It's not living - it's just existing. I feel like I'm trapped inside this morbidly obese body and I want to be FREE of it and enjoy LIVING, before my life is over.
So I'm pulling out the big guns...a tool that I've considered using before, but then told myself I could succeed without it. Obviously, I was wrong. I don't want to waste any more of my time fighting this on my own. I'm going to have the sleeve. I haven't come to this decision lightly. Again, I know that it's NOT a magic, effortless solution to morbid obesity and that I will be eating mindfully and carefully for the rest of my life...but I will finally have the tool I need to be successful and wake up from this nightmare of being morbidly obese and not being able to fix it. The procedure has come a very long ways, and there are actual physiological changes the the surgery causes that will cause my body to quit fighting me and allow me to lose the excess weight and finally know what it is to be 'normal'.
I've gone to the initial seminar, had my one-on-one consultation with the surgeon (actually, it was a "two-fer", as my best friend is doing this with me!), I've done my psych-eval, found a new therapist who specializes in eating disorders and will be meeting with her the first time on the 27th, meeting with the nutritionist on the 27th....I'm hoping if all goes well, that I'll be getting the surgery in May or June.
Sorry for the long-winded epistle...I had to edit myself! LOL

6 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Is it that chugging isn't possible any longer? And we just forget?

Chugging is VERY MUCH possible ... but we shouldn't!

Prior to surgery, we have to prepare ourselves for afterward ... i.e. we have to train ourselves to sip with mindful spacing between sips. [It's hard until you work at it.]

My dietitian suggested using a teaspoon, NOT a soup-spoon, NOT a dessertspoon, to enforce drinking the Water in small sips.

I am getting better BUT I do tend to wolf 200mL to 250mL after my first two hours swimming. I just have to try harder to do it more often.

- - -

Yes to your second question ... at certain times process slips the mind.

OK, I've gotta be a part of this cool club! Some of you are literally making me laugh out loud at your posts!
I'm Tess, and I'm on the path to a sleeve. I just turned 59, and the weight is really affecting my quality of life. I hurt. My knees, ankles, feet, back...I just hurt all over. Chronically. My blood pressure is horrible. My cholesterol is high and my triglycerides are high. I'm hypothyroid, I've got metabolic syndrome and I'm insulin resistant, and just a few creme puffs away from full-blown diabetes. Physically, I'm just so damn uncomfortable in this fat suit I've been wearing most of my life. I'm also one medium binge away from 300 lbs. Oh man, I cringe just typing that. How / Why did I get here???
I have issues with food...serious issues. My mother put my sister and I on diets pre-puberty (neither one of us were overweight) and all of my memories of food as a child are of being shamed for eating. Mostly by my mother, who had issues of her own, but by my grandmother and extended family members to some extent as well. Later as a pre-adolescent and into my teens, my mother basically just checked out as a parent and I fended for myself mostly.

The most exciting thing for me about going to a friend's home or to my grandparents:

THEY HAD FOOD IN THE HOUSE!

The most memorable part of my pre-teen and teen years living at home with my mother was that there was very rarely food in the house. My sister and I would raid the trunk of her car when she was sleeping, because she would usually have a cooler with delicious food in it...grapes, deli meats and cheeses, crackers, etc. that she would buy to share with one of her boyfriends. But she wouldn't buy groceries for my sister and I. Anyway, I got married (at barely 16) to escape the wretched home life. Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire...but that's a whole 'nother story. The first time I went grocery shopping as a married girl I bought 2 big boxes of Captain Crunch Cereal and ate it until the roof of my mouth was shredded. I wasn't the best cook at that age, but I made a mean hamburger helper. There are so many more stories I could tell, all which led me to where I am today. I really should write a book.
I have and will continue to work through my myriad issues with a therapist, because I KNOW that bariatric surgery isn't the magical answer to my problems...but I also know that it's a VERY powerful tool that can help me finally reach my goals of being a normal weight and being able to wear EVERYTHING in my closet. I've spent 5 decades of my life fighting this dragon. My physiology and metabolism is so messed up now that no matter what I do, my body fights to hold on to every ounce. I can lose some weight but I very quickly hit a standstill and no matter what I do, no more pounds will come off. I'm tired of living like this. So so tired. It's not living - it's just existing. I feel like I'm trapped inside this morbidly obese body and I want to be FREE of it and enjoy LIVING, before my life is over. So I'm pulling out the big guns...a tool that I've considered using before, but then told myself I could succeed without it. Obviously, I was wrong. I don't want to waste any more of my time fighting this on my own. I'm going to have the sleeve. I haven't come to this decision lightly. Again, I know that it's NOT a magic, effortless solution to morbid obesity and that I will be eating mindfully and carefully for the rest of my life...but I will finally have the tool I need to be successful and wake up from this nightmare of being morbidly obese and not being able to fix it. The procedure has come a very long ways, and there are actual physiological changes the the surgery causes that will cause my body to quit fighting me and allow me to lose the excess weight and finally know what it is to be 'normal'. I've gone to the initial seminar, had my one-on-one consultation with the surgeon (actually, it was a "two-fer", as my best friend is doing this with me!), I've done my psych-eval, found a new therapist who specializes in eating disorders and will be meeting with her the first time on the 27th, meeting with the nutritionist on the 27th....I'm hoping if all goes well, that I'll be getting the surgery in May or June. Sorry for the long-winded epistle...I had to edit myself! LOL

Welcome, TessieLoo!

Yes, it's fun here in the 60+ thread, especially with FluffyChix around. She keeps us rolling in the aisles.

I'm sorry you had such a difficult childhood. I can't imagine not buying food for your children. What's your relationship like with your mom now? I'm betting you have some real deep feelings (mostly negative) about your mom.

We'll try to take care of you when you need it. Just tell us to back off if we get too close to a sensitive area. I just want to wrap my arms around you, hold you tight and rock you back and forth.

You've done well seeing where your problems are and what you need to do to get past it/them.

We're here to help whenever you need it. Just ask and we'll do our best to do whatever it is you need.

Again, welcome to the club! Someone's here all the time so give a holler.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Candy

35 minutes ago, CaliforniaCandy said:

Welcome, TessieLoo!

Yes, it's fun here in the 60+ thread, especially with FluffyChix around. She keeps us rolling in the aisles.

I'm sorry you had such a difficult childhood. I can't imagine not buying food for your children. What's your relationship like with your mom now? I'm betting you have some real deep feelings (mostly negative) about your mom.

We'll try to take care of you when you need it. Just tell us to back off if we get too close to a sensitive area. I just want to wrap my arms around you, hold you tight and rock you back and forth.

You've done well seeing where your problems are and what you need to do to get past it/them.

We're here to help whenever you need it. Just ask and we'll do our best to do whatever it is you need.

Again, welcome to the club! Someone's here all the time so give a holler.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Candy

Thank you, Candy! And think between you and FluffyChix, the aisle-rolling is going to be frequent around here!

About my mom....she died in 2001 or 02 (I don't even remember)....and she died bitter, angry, unforgiving and alone.

It was her choice, many people wanted to love her - she just wouldn't have any of it. She had issues that I will never know about, and I'm still angry. Still angry. And it's so unhealthy to carry around with me.

So I try to understand that there were probably many reasons she was as broken as she was. And I hope that she's somewhere now where she is finally at peace.

Thank you for welcoming me here.

@TessieLoo welcome! I'll edit that book for you and write the intro.

- my mother had food hers was this variety - bake a chocolate cake and then taunt you with it - 'you have to learn to leave it alone.' - yeah and I thought I was a fat kid until I looked at my report cards a few years ago and I wasn't. Even though I loved my mother, I have had to face some harsh realitiesand find peace, she has been gone over 15 years now.

Pick up the book by Byron Katie called 'Loving what is'. Good luck and keep posting.

Welcome @TessieLoo Um, can I just say your avitar on a big computer screen looks completely innocuous and innocent on a big screen. On my small phone however, LOL, it looks like a very prominent and um, enraged "rooster" ;) (only I didn't say rooster). bahahahaahahaaha! ;) But don't feel alone, @Sosewsue61 looks like a bagina on my phone. :D hahahaha!

I'm so sorry about your struggles/troubles as a child/adult. I can say that forgiveness helps the one carrying the burden, not the one for whom forgiveness is needed. :( It's a daily battle at times to keep reminding yourself you have indeed forgiven that person. But it is freeing! And glad you're working with a therapist. The head stuff/emotional baggage is the hardest part to effectively change!