Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Late December Sleevers?

Good evening all,

Today was my post-op and so my Dr. Cleared me for soft foods....what a relief. It was slow going not to mention getting pretty scary there with all these food commercials and playing Chef for my son. I am down 20lbs (this includes the pre-op) at my highest weight I was 296. I am feeling better today. I still get nauseated, I am 4 days from the right amount of Protein intake. It makes me Quest, hopefully I can get creative with soft veggies. The Dr. said no real exercise until 8 weeks out, but to walk to my hearts content.

I'm looking at all these people getting cleared for soft foods. I feel like my surgeon is the only one with such a strict post op diet. I was sleeved 12/28/17, first week home I was on Clear Liquids only, now i'm on full liquids until the 18th (which will be 2 weeks)then i have to do 2 weeks of pureed, then finally i get start a regular diet on February 1st. Is there anyone else with a diet like this?

Trust me there is a reason for that. I tried soft foods before it was due to, and omg! The awful feeling! Last night I was Sooooooo angry and so discouraged! I kept asking my husband- WHY DIDN'T I JUST STAYED FATTTT! I was happy and somewhat healthy! Then I came to, and realized something about me...I have been a spoiled brat that ate anything I wanted to and smoked and have never had to give this two things up. I never been a consistent or discipline myself. This is the first time EVER, I had to strictly follow rules or pay a price. I actually had to divorce food and cigarettes. Like I have to read the back of food to realize how awful they are for my family and I. It's so hard to just leap in this life changing surgery. I have to be patient with myself and take one day a the time. Took me 48 years to and now I did it and thankful that I can't change that. If I decide to cheat I will pay with vomiting, heartburn, pain and bloated.

I agree with you. It can seem discouraging at times. I was feeling like the both of you. Even most of us...the Dr. Released me but, I still will take my time. I am still doing my liquids because I know I can do that safely. You don't want to injure yourself for the sake of self gratification which is how we got here in the first place.

Try not to be so hard on yourself, who knows when you get to the soft food it will probably not be all that you think it is. I was only able to have 3 teaspoons before my stomach got angry with me. (It kind of wasn't worth it)

My Dr. also told me he wanted to see what my stats were before moving me on to the next thing so maybe they want to ensure your body can handle the next phase. Cheer up you will be alright.

2 hours ago, Brittanyblue said:

I'm looking at all these people getting cleared for soft foods. I feel like my surgeon is the only one with such a strict post op diet. I was sleeved 12/28/17, first week home I was on Clear Liquids only, now i'm on full liquids until the 18th (which will be 2 weeks)then i have to do 2 weeks of pureed, then finally i get start a regular diet on February 1st. Is there anyone else with a diet like this?

My diet is exactly the same up to your last 2 weeks (my last 2 weeks are soft moist foods) and our surgery dates are aligned. :) How are you doing on the full liquids? At first I was grateful to have creamy Soup though I couldn't get through much of it, but now I'm back to incorporating broth because with the shakes it's just too much creamy stuff.

3 hours ago, Brittanyblue said:

Yes, mine was:

Days 1 and 2 (day 1 was surgery day) - clear liquids

Days 3-14 - full liquids

Days 15 and 16 - pureed foods

Days 17-28 - very soft foods

Days 29-42 - soft foods

Days 43+ - general diet

I'm considering starting soft foods this weekend (should start on Wednesday the 17th) bc I've tolerated else I've tried and I'm starving eating only very soft foods.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:46 PM, Miri L said:

I find that although I don't have a lot of real hunger pains, I am definitely having head hunger. And watching TV makes it worse! I swear more than 1/2 the commercials are pizza commercials. Very frustrating!

Has anyone had their follow up appointment? Mine is next week and the Nurse Practioner mentioned that they would do a barium swallow to check for leaks or other issues. Has anyone had to do this yet?

YES! There are sooo many food commericals, then it makes me crave it.

I had my 2 week follow up yesterday and had to do my barium test. It wasnt bad, the stuff you have to drink looks like milk, not much of a flavor. It was neat to see it on the screen move through your stomach.

2 hours ago, Miri L said:

My diet is exactly the same up to your last 2 weeks (my last 2 weeks are soft moist foods) and our surgery dates are aligned. :) How are you doing on the full liquids? At first I was grateful to have creamy Soup though I couldn't get through much of it, but now I'm back to incorporating broth because with the shakes it's just too much creamy stuff.

I'm feeling fine, pretty much normal. My stomach is tolerating the liquids pretty well and i'm glad that I can start pureed foods on Thursday! I can handle Soup fine (the only soup I've wanted is tomato), i don't really like the creamed Soups at all. I've been getting so sick of Protein Shakes but I force myself to drink them(it takes me about 30-40 minutes because I force myself). I'm down 17 lbs so far which is nice :) How you feeling?

9 hours ago, Brittanyblue said:

You’ll probably appreciate it in the end. Maybe it’s a way to jump start your weight loss!?

On 1/10/2018 at 12:56 PM, OscarsMom said:

Interesting - thanks. It's not in any of the material they gave me but I'm going for my two week post check up tomorrow and will ask.

Mine were ok with gummies. I take Women’s One a Day. I’m having a hard time getting my Effexor (anti-depressant) poll down. It’s a hard swallow. I did get the Biotin Melts from Bariatric Pal. They’re better than a regular Vitamin.

Ok so I'm exactly 2 weeks post op and wanted to know if this is normal, every time I eat something, (just had 2 teaspoon of rice) I have severe chest pain ( gas pain ) to the point that I throw up [emoji849][emoji853]

I am not sure you should be having rice at all. I was told no rice, Pasta, or bread right now. It may be an irritant to the stomach. Sorry to hear that happened. I forgot when he said I could have rice but I can wait. Take it easy and get some rest.